Harbor Freight axle doesn't fit...help?!

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:41 am

Gage wrote:I'd send it back and ask for a full refund. You gave them two shots at it, now it time to go somewhere else.

Take it back!
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Arne » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:02 am

Not to be offensive, but this is an axle on a cheap trailer, not a jet engine on an airplane.

I'd mark the axle, redrill the holes freehand, and get over it.. if you want put some jbweld in the bad holes.

There is little real stress on the pins and holes when cinched down with the u-bolts. On my 1800# trailer, the pins (bold heads) were not even that tight in the holes.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby bobhenry » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:58 am

No one yet has mentioned the BMFH cure. The spring mount ears have weld shrink problems. My 40 x 48 did. When they welded the ears the heat on the outboard side caused the ears to be out of plumb. Tipped out 4-5 degrees. Took a junk socket extention and a big $ $ Hammer and gave the front ears a couple whacks. Who among us has not experienced weld shrink. Check them for plumb with a square and adjust it will not weaken the connection and will function just fine. These are good little trailers for what you pay for them. They just need a little love tap now and again.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Sam I am » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:48 am

Could the locating pins on the springs be off center? Maybe swapping the springs left & right would help.
Sam I am
500 Club

Postby Dale M. » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:24 am

One question I have is will tries clear trailer frame/fender brackets when they are put on axle... Maybe axle is 7/8 inch to narrow to start with.....

I see three choices here, return trailer, have welding shop widen axle, or just drill new indexing holes. Last two options are dependant on tire "fit"...

And I wonder how come Doug seems to have so much expertise on the subject of a Johnson stretcher?

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:32 am

Sam I am wrote:Could the locating pins on the springs be off center? Maybe swapping the springs left & right would help.

Wouldn't that just swap problem from one side to other?... Think about it...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:33 am

I just know about them....Jack knows where to get them...Doug :lol:
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby madjack » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:02 am

hey Doug...how long ya been single...don't tell me ya never have used a Johnson strecher on your "axle" :o :D :lol: ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby apratt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:22 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

p.s. he couldn't find it. :lol:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Steve_Cox » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:51 pm

Forget the repartee about Doug's Johnson, that's just not a mentally healthy place to be. :lol:
Loosen up all the bolts on that Chinese piece O crap, force it all together, as you tighten the bolts check for square. Then decide if you want to send it back...... Some of the pin misalignment is due to the bow in the axle that supposedly straightens out under a load.....It does have some bow in the axle, doesn't it? (We don't care or want to know about the bow in Doug's axle MJ. OK?) I heard he was into air bags anyway, you know, inflatables? 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Leon » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:58 pm

10 minutes with a drill and a few drill bits would fix it. Start with a small bit and work up so when you get close to breaking into the old dimple the drill has something to center on. It can be done with a hand drill, and the old one doesn't need to be welded up. It's a locating hole, and once the u-bolts are fastened there isn't any pressure on it.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:26 pm

Steve_Cox wrote:Forget the repartee about Doug's Johnson, that's just not a mentally healthy place to be. :lol:
Loosen up all the bolts on that Chinese piece O crap, force it all together, as you tighten the bolts check for square. Then decide if you want to send it back...... Some of the pin misalignment is due to the bow in the axle that supposedly straightens out under a load.....It does have some bow in the axle, doesn't it? (We don't care or want to know about the bow in Doug's axle MJ. OK?) I heard he was into air bags anyway, you know, inflatables? 8)

Steve, I have absolutely no idea what kinda bow Doug has in his axle(and I don't wanna know...TMI)...heck, I don't even know if he is left or right handed :D :lol: ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby doug hodder » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:17 am

Steve_Cox wrote: I heard he was into air bags anyway, you know, inflatables? 8)

A word to the wise...don't use a "hot patch" on an inflatable....and I broke my nose today...my hand slipped off the axle stretcher and hit me in the face... :oops: doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:34 am

The things ya miss when you don't read everything for a day.

K----so the axle is short. Did you measure it? If it really is too short and not bent why not cut off the Framing and leave it short. It is bolt together right. Will the bolt holes be too messed up to do that?

Course I would make them give me a deep discount if I kept it. :thumbsup:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Gage » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:08 am

doug hodder wrote:
Steve_Cox wrote: I heard he was into air bags anyway, you know, inflatables? 8)

A word to the wise...don't use a "hot patch" on an inflatable....and I broke my nose today...my hand slipped off the axle stretcher and hit me in the face... :oops: doug

Just goes to show you that one shouldn't use the axle stretcher at home. :rofl:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets