Where to buy a Dexter Axle in So Cal

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Where to buy a Dexter Axle in So Cal

Postby Sean the Leprechaun » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:09 pm

Hi Everyone. I am Sean a newbie and I have been lurking on this forum for several years. I believe that I am finally ready to build my teardrop. I am probably going to base it on the Generic Benroy plans provided here (GREAT JOB GUYS!).

After researching axles on this forum, I have decided to either go with a Dexter or a Flexiride.

The best deal (local dexter dealer) I can find is $325 for the Dexter (tax incl) or $290 approx for the Flexiride (Southwest Wheel includes shipping). This seems to me like a no-brainer to go with the Flexiride. However I would like to keep my cost around $225.

Anyone else have any suggestions? :thinking:
Sean the Leprechaun
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:28 pm

...your Dexter dealer is ripping you off...a 2000#Dexter TorqFlite should be less that 200 bucks...you can order directly from Dexter and it should cost you under 200 bucks including shipping(ordered one a month ago and paid 170 dollars)...you can also have it derated from 2000#s down to what you would like to have...we have ours derated to 1500#s for a better ride....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:48 am

madjack wrote:...your Dexter dealer is ripping you off...a 2000#Dexter TorqFlite should be less that 200 bucks...you can order directly from Dexter and it should cost you under 200 bucks including shipping(ordered one a month ago and paid 170 dollars

I ordered a Dexter about a year and a half ago and it was around $170. I paid $40 for shipping and tax. You can always go to a place that sells utility trailers (not Lowes or HF but a real dealer) and see if they can order one for you.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby sdtripper2 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:35 am

Image Image Sean

As Jack and Rocky have mentioned above ... try this thread to Image
get you nearer your pot of gold. Below $200.00 for a thrifty Leprechaun
seems a fair price. Above $200.00 and someone is messing with your rainbow.
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... 727#183727
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Re: Where to buy a Dexter Axle in So Cal

Postby paul hetrick » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:18 pm

Is that price for just the dexter axle or does it inculde the hubs? Let me know and I maybe able to help you. What size axle do you need?

Thanks Paul
paul hetrick
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:23 pm

I got the hubs with mine.

There are a set of questions that you should decide on before you order.

1. Determine gross weight
2. How many axles do you need?
3. Do you need brakes?
4. What is the hubface to hubface dimension?
5. What bolt pattern do you want?
6. What are the outside frame dimensions?
7. What is your desired trailing arm start angle?

There are lots of options, they will custom make the axle to meet your needs.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:56 pm

Paul, the hubs were included in the 170 dollar price(5 on 4.5)...and yes Dexter will customize that axle for you...length/weight rating/start angle on the torsion arms/mounts and most other aspects of the axle...the #9 Torqflite is available from 1k to 2.2k weight ratings.
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Esteban » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:14 pm

Sean, Dexter has an axle production plant in San Bernardino, CA.

Need assistance?
Contact us from 8am-5pm EST (Monday-Friday):

Product Information: (574) 295-7888
Service & Warranty: (574) 295-7888
Online Orders: (574) 295-1900

Plant 29 - Axle Production
1400 Victoria Avenue
San Bernardino, CA 92408
Phone: 909-796-2908
Fax: 909-799-6258

Perhaps you can skip the dealer and order, and pick up, an axle directly from Dexter.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby paul hetrick » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:09 pm

What size axle are you looking for? I maybe able to help you.

Thanks Paul
paul hetrick
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Sean the Leprechaun » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:25 pm

So far here is what I believe I will need:

60" Outside bracket to bracket
73" Hubface to Hubface
22 degree down angle
1500 lb rubber torsion axle.

I still have not decided if I want brakes or not. Let me know what you have. Thanks. :worship:
Sean the Leprechaun
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Tue May 01, 2007 9:07 am

Sean, my last axle was 58"s(out to out) between mounting tabs with H2H of 72.5"s and their short spindles...this gave me 60"s between the torsion arms, allowing the 3/4" ply to come down over the frame...using 205-70-15 tires on a 5"wide 0* offset wheel to give me between 1.5 and 2 inches of clearance between wheel and body...it also had 1500# rubber...this axle was spec'd with the help of Dexter's customer service...very helpful folks...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Sean the Leprechaun » Tue May 01, 2007 11:21 pm

Thanks for the info Madjack. I am not quite sure of the length I should be ordering. I am following the Generic Benroy plans and would prefer to run some 165/80/13's.
Given the plans call for the same dimensions as you mentioned, only with a different tire size, what would you callout for H2H?

Also, why do a lot of people prefer to run 14" or 15" tires when 13" may be all that is required?

Another question, how much height will the mounting bracket add? I know there are two kinds, side mount and top mount. I would prefer the top mount. How much height will this add to my "B" dimension (per Dexter website).

Since I will be using 2 x 2 tubing for a frame and welding securing tabs to the inside of the tubing, how does one secure the metal frame to the 3/4 x 1 1/2 wood floor frame? (since the inside of the 1 1/2 wood floor frame will not go inside the 2" metal frame tubing)

Esteban, thanks for the great tip on the factory in San Bernardino. I called them and got the best price around!
Sean the Leprechaun
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Esteban » Wed May 02, 2007 1:51 am

Esteban, thanks for the great tip on the factory in San Bernardino. I called them and got the best price around!

Glad to help Sean. That's good news. Do you mind sharing how much they're charging? I'll be ordering an axle soon, myself.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed May 02, 2007 3:24 am

Sean, the important measurements for me were the 58"s out to out frame measurments and the 60"s in to in on the torsion arms...the 72.5 H2H measurment(giving almost 2 inches between walls and tires) was the smallest number they could come up with for the other combinations...beside the regular "tab" mount, they have either a hi or lo profile mounting plate...don't know about the hi but the low adds about a fat 1/8th of an inch overall...tires...personal preference...I like big tires...the 13's you mentioned are around 24"s tall and would qualify as sufficient in my book, especially since the 205-70-15s we use are 26" tall...we don't use a wood frame for our floor...just a sheet of plain ol' ply that is fastened to the steel with a special bolt know as a "trailer deck bolt" ...it is a 1/4"self-tapping bolt and should be available thru many trailer parts supply houses........
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Dexter axle "prospect" free customized estimate

Postby Esteban » Wed May 02, 2007 4:37 pm

Dexter faxed me an axle order worksheet today. I still had a few questions, so I called the CA plant (closest one to me) for advice. They're making a custom "prospect" for the #9 Torflex axle for me.

I asked for:
1 - Axle Capacity: Dexter #9 Torflex axle de-rated to 1800 lbs. (Was told the axle rides best near actual loaded weight. There's no cost to de-rate the rubber)
2 - Hub Face: unknown at this time, asked them to size it for 14" 0 offset trailer wheels
3 - Outside Bracket: to fit frame width of 61" , plus 2" for wood sides (1/4' plywood siding + 3/4" nailer outside frame on each side)
4 - Brakes: no brakes, and option $ for elec. brakes
5 - Spindle Type: Grease, and option $ for upgrade to EZ Lube
6 - Bolt Pattern: 5 on 4.50
7 - Start Angle: 22.5 down
8 - Bracket Orientation: LP-I (low profile with standard orientation)
9 - Attaching Parts Kit: Side Mount (this allows the axle to be bolted onto the frame, with 4 bolts, and for it to be removed without having to cut off a weld)

They'll fax the customized "prospect" with details and prices to me tomorrow. It take 2-3 weeks delivery time after an order is placed. By ordering from the closest plant...CA for me...the shipping cost will be lower.

Getting closer to sparks and sawdust!
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets