HF 8x4 trailer question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

HF 8x4 trailer question

Postby Tammy » Sun May 20, 2007 9:16 am

Hi everyone,

I just started putting together my HF 8x4 trailer. It's in 2 pieces right now. The tongue is attached to the front portion and the rear portion is put together. Since I don't plan on folding it, I'm not going to attach the two. What should I do when attaching the 2 pieces to ensure my trailer will be sturdy? I don't have much experience with this kind of thing so I want to make sure I do it right? :thinking:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will hold off any more assembly until I hear from someone.

Thanks in advance.
It's not the destination that matters, it's the journey.
Tammy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby toypusher » Sun May 20, 2007 9:37 am

There are several things that you could do.

1. Remove the two crossmembers that are butted together and turn them (one on each side) and insert them into the side members then drill some new holes and bolt them together. You can then use a 2x4 (will need to be cut on ends) as a new crossmember in the middle. Don't forget to move your axle back! (usually approx 36" from rear of frame)

2. You could just ensure that both sections are bolted securely to the carrier that your spring/axle is attached to. Again you could remove one of the crossmembers and cut it in half. Then use these short sections as inserts into the sidemembers. You may have to relocate the remaining crossmembers to accomadate this. Move both of them (one in the front section and one in the back section) towards the back slightly.

You can see an example of the #1 suggestion above in the 'Generic Benroy Plans' at the top of the page. It is not a HF frame, but is the same principle.
toypusher
Site Admin

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets