Single wheel trailers, double bumper clamp...

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Single wheel trailers, double bumper clamp...

Postby Arne » Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:51 am

I don't think this would be a real alternative, but found it interesting that single wheel trailers are making a bit of a comeback...

For one thing, with the wheel placement, it seems to put about 1/2 the trailer weight on the tow vehicle. The double wheel model look like it has torsion axle stubs as suspension.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Trackstriper » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:47 am

Let's see... I think it was back in '65 that I built a small, single wheel trailer for a summer camping trip with my high school buddy...I'd just turned 17. The trailer box was 4'x4' and about 16" high. 1" square steel tube frame, 1/2" plywood. Very light. The trailer attached at the rear bumper brackets and was hinged to allow for up and down movement.

In use, the trailer stayed attached to the car. The rear wall of the box could be removed along with the castoring wheel and suspension, the box being supported by some vertical drop down tubes. The top of the box was then removed and attached to the rear of the main body of the trailer, extending the sleeping platform to 8'. The far end of this framed panel was supported by simple footlockers that we each used to store our gear. The footlockers rode in the trailer.

Foam mats and sleeping bags, under the stars. We rigged a tarp over a framework (like a tent) for the few nights that were inclement. And yes, we had a 48"x16" vertical, longitudinal divider panel built in as part of the structure of the main box (also supported the top panel while in transit) that was the "buddy wall". Hey we were young and almost innocent back then but it made sense to us. Designer genes?

The classic roadtrip trip took us from Orlando up to Ohio to visit respective families for several days, over Lakes Erie and Ontario, up the St. Lawrence to Montreal and Quebec and finally to our destination of Nova Scotia, then back down the eastern seaboard. Six weeks on the road. A few campgrounds, but mostly just side of the road camping under a nice tree. Lots of fun. We would call home about once a week to let our parents know we were still alive. We each started with $150 in our pockets, put gas in the car, bought food and fireworks (mandatory), and arrived home with money left over. Couldn't do that today.

Arne, regarding the trailer and tow car: We had a Renault Dauphine, 850cc, 32HP when all four were firing, and a 3 speed wide-ratio tranny to row. Not the world's best tow vehicle but it got us there and back with only minor repairs enroute. The tricky part was the vehicle dynamics. Take a rear engine car with swing axle suspension that was naturally prone to erratic oversteer if pushed hard, then add even a little extra mass to the arse end and you have quite a hand full in the twisties. Kept us on our toes. THAT was the downside to this design for our combination of car and trailer. For a larger tow (mount?) vehicle it might not be much of a problem, but you have to remember where the weight is being placed and it might get dicey in an emergency. Much more so than with a conventional trailer of the same weight.

I've enjoyed your many posts since I've been reading this forum. Thanks.

J.B.
Trackstriper
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:00 am

This calls for another of my once-every-six-months postings:

http://www.singlewheel.com/

Pretty much every single-wheel trailer ever made, though with the emphasis on the small ones.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets