Modded HF 1175 Trailer load capacity?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Modded HF 1175 Trailer load capacity?

Postby milo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:33 pm

Hello all, For my next TTT project I am using parts of two HF 1175 trailers. I will have a base trailer 12' long with two axles. I will be building the TTT 12' x 6' on this trailer. My estimates on completed weight are about 1400 lbs. Does this sound doable? Thanks for any and all input.
milo
always B dreamin'

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:28 pm

That's quite an interesting project you got going there.

Did you ever check out the dual axle thread?
http://tnttt.com/viewto ... le&start=0
Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby milo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:53 pm

Mike, Thanks for the link. Reading the thread got me wondering, If the axles were spaced farther apart, would that effect the need for the pivot between the two springs? I think I need to do alot more research on this before I start this project.
milo
always B dreamin'

Postby mikeschn » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:59 pm

I would definitely buy the dual axle link and tie the two axles together.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Tear Les » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:01 pm

Dual axle torsion axle trailers are not uncommon (in fact they're very common as boat trailers) and they don't have an equalizer arrangement. I don't believe that dual sping axles (with out the equalizer) would act too much differently. The key to getting the dual axle torsion axle trailers right is getting them level (dead level) when being towed. That way both axles share the load since there isn't a way to equalize the load otherwise.

Less fussiness in setup could be accomplished with the equalizer though so if you can accommodate it I'd say that would be better.

A small tandem teardrop would be lots of fun! :thumbsup:
Les Lampman
Tear Les
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:44 pm

..use the equalizer links...that is what they do...equalize the load on your tires...if not, you will end up in situations where all the weight of the trailer is on one wheel or another...this will happen on EVERY hump and hole you cross over...if you seperate the axles, you will have a MAJOR increase in tire wear since you will constantly, be trying to scrub off one tire or the other and in some case may just succeed.....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Dale M. » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:56 am

Another note is the further apart your axles are the harder it is to turn trailer... You will scrub more rubber off your tires in maneuvering and it will be harder to manhandle trailer in drive way or where ever when NOT connected to tow vehicle...

When you have two wheels that are rigidly in straight line, the tendancy is for trailer to want to follow that straight line..... The more distance between wheels the more it tends to want to go straight....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets