Frameless Trailer/Torsion Axle Mount

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby bdosborn » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:05 pm

Here's a nice picture of the bottom of a frameless trailer after the axle fell off at 60mph.

You pays your money and you takes a chance.

Bruce

edit note: Dohhh, Andrew beat me to it.
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:06 am

angib wrote:How do you guys NDT-test your welds? You've got a record of your welder certification, right? Your metal frame designs have been passed by a PE? :thinking:

Been tested, passed.
Some of my frame designs carry 50 tons
:thinking:

Metal frames, particularly home-made metal frames, are absolutely no guarantee of avoiding problems, as several posts on this forum will support. But they are certainly less likely to give you problems.

You are absolutely right on both counts.
It's also one less sue point if the trailer is mostly in one piece after an accident.

It's worth repeating that a frameless design is not something for the novice and requires a higher standard of build than a 'framed' trailer.

Agreed, and I'm not telling anyone not to do it. Just be certain you are up to the challenge. Good insurance is a good idea too.

Andrew
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:30 am

I think that if someone takes a good look at the bottom of the trailer pic that Bruce posted, and maybe I'm wrong on this, but I certainly don't see any real structure that an axle was bolted to...IE.where are the bolt holes that surely ought to have been there where the axle tore from? I'm only seeing what appears to be a 2X2. I would think that even if a lag screw were used, that there ought to be some visable tearout from it's sudden removal. A through bolted install with washers surely would have torn up the bottom side much more than is shown.

Oh well, everyone builds what they want, just don't compromise safety...doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby asianflava » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:54 am

There is a fine line between adding an extra margin of safety and overbuilding.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:09 am

asianflava wrote:There is a fine line between adding an extra margin of safety and overbuilding.
I agree. I guess it's just my nature to err on the side of overbuilding. I should have been able to build a couple of hundred pounds lighter.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Arne » Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:46 am

I've only just started this, but it will give an idea of a minimalist frame. I wanted to bolt the axle to metal, and I wanted a cross member front and back for integrity and where the major weight would be in the back (a/c, battery, microwave, etc...)

Both x-members are laid flat to lower turbulence.

http://www.freewebs.com/aero-1

There was some weight penalty, but much lighter than the standard 1,800# h/f from from which it was made. The floor is built like a hollow-core door with 2x3s where I need to attach walls, etc. The floor is lighter than 3/4ply would have been, and is fully insulated with 1.5" foam.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby angib » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:48 pm

Doug, as far as I've found out, John just bonded the axle brackets to the underside of the floor and then laminated over them - hence my comment about peel strength as that was all that was holding the axle in place. Just four bolts with big washers would have been plenty to prevent this failure.

Interesting to see how strong the body was - almost unmarked from sliding down the road at 60mph - though that's no more than I would expect from epoxy.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:01 pm

asianflava wrote:There is a fine line between adding an extra margin of safety and overbuilding.
I agree, but at least when you 'overbuild' the frame, it lowers the CG of the trailer - Something you can't say in most other instances of overbuilding ;)

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby angib » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Alphacarina wrote:but at least when you 'overbuild' the frame, it lowers the CG of the trailer

Yes.

It's also important to recognise that overbuilding does not necessarily make a trailer any stronger, it often just makes it tougher. If you make something twice as thick, it will feel much tougher to you - if you kick it, your boot won't go through any more. But it also now weighs twice as much as it did before and so when it goes over a bump in the road, it will experience twice the force. Twice the force working on twice the material leaves you back where you started - it can still only take the same bump. But of course you have to pull twice the weight around with you.

Some changes do make things more than twice as strong. It you make a roof spar twice as wide, it's only becomes twice as strong. But if you make it twice as deep instead, it becomes four times as strong. It's the structural equivalent of a favourite saying of mine "Work smarter, not harder".

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:17 pm

My computer crashed and burned a month ago, and it took awhile to get Vista to work with apache, but I got it, and the frameless pics are in the album pics
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Alphacarina » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:27 pm

The only pictures which show much are #28 and 29

I think it's a bit scary without a one piece axle. The forces exerted on the half axles (and thereby on their wood mounting points) are much more severe than if it had a one piece axle which holds the wheels parallel to one another and maintains correct camber without depending on the wood to do that - You're asking an awful lot from just 8 axle mounting bolts. My 1400 pound Fexiride half axles use 6 bolts per side and those are meant to be bolted to some steel

With a one piece axle, the tongue welded to the center of it and a couple pieces of lightweight angle triangulating forward from the axle to the tongue and I'd not be scared of that setup . . . . plenty of 'frame' for me

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:52 am

How much weight is saved by using stubs instead of a full axle?

I suspect if designed right, the weight savings isn't that much.. if you are using wood, you need a metal rectangle across the trailer to mount the stubs to..

If you are using a metal frame, the full axle could become a frame member eliminating one metal x member.... seems hardly worth the effort..
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby brian_bp » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:30 pm

I agree with Arne... the two-piece axle approach doesn't help weight much. I'd go even further - I suspect that most of these designs are heavier than a one-piece would be. Jim has much better brackets on his than most do (I think that was the subject of an earlier disucssion thread); the more common design needs even more attachment structure in the trailer than his do.

I think the axle manufacturers offer these two-piece setups for an entirely different reason than they are being used here (eliminating the weight of the crossmember part); they are to allow trailer designs with dropped floors in the middle, non-standard track widths, or other novel configuration requirements. If the space between the ends of the fixed tubes of the separate axle parts are lined up with each other and nothing is between them, then there should be one cross-trailer piece of steel tubing.
Last edited by brian_bp on Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian_bp
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jiminsav » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:22 pm

brian_bp wrote:I agree with Arne... the two-piece axle approach doesn't help weight much. I'd go even further - I suspect that most of these designs are heavier than a one-piece would be. Jim has much better brackets on his than most do (I think that was the subject of an earlier disucssion thread); the more common design needs even more attachment structure in the trailer than his do.

I think the axle manufacturers offer these two-piece setups for an entirely different reason than they are being used here (eliminating the weight of the crossmember part); they are to allow trailer designs with dropped floors in the middle, non-standard track widths, or other novel configuration requirements. If the space between the ends of the fixed tubes of the separate axle parts are lined up with each other and nothing is between them, then they should be one cross-trailer piece of steel tubing.

very good Brian, thats exactly why I use half shafts, because I'm not sure about the finished width of the trailer, and using half shafts, I don't have to be worried about whether the wheels will fit when I get done.

they are actually harder to install, because you have to square up both stubs so it tracks right.
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Melvin » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:46 pm

Arne wrote:I suspect if designed right, the weight savings isn't that much.. if you are using wood, you need a metal rectangle across the trailer to mount the stubs to..

The big advantage is you can get a custom axle width with off the shelve parts. Someone should make a torsion axle with an adjuster in the centre. Something threaded like a tie rod.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets