Red Trailer ride height?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Red Trailer ride height?

Postby JoeK » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:09 pm

I'm trying to get some info for design purposes. Not sure if i'll build my own trailer yet, need to compare cost to hassle. I was looking at the "Generic Benroy Plans" above and noticed the info about flipping the axle to the other side of the springs.

I need to find some frame ride height info for my dad to work with on the aesthetic design side. Does anybody know the height of the 5x8 red trailer before and after you flip the axle?

Also, anybody know the bolt pattern on the 5x8 trailer. It just says 12" x 3.75" steel wheels, and it looks like 5 bolt. I'd like to put 13" or 14" wheels on it.

Thanks,
JoeK
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mary K » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:19 pm

Hello Joe!

I just went out and measure my Red Trailer, and it is 13 1/4" from the ground and bottom of the side rail. I measured this as close to the wheel as I could. I also did mount the axle above the spring too.

It is a 12" wheel on a 4 hole bolt pattern. A "ruff" measurement has it on a 4" bolt circle, in other words it 4" from center to center on the opposite bolts.

Hope this helps.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:30 pm

JK...MK gave ya her ride height...the 5 bolt circle on the 5x8 is a 5 on 4.5...basically a Ford size...becareful to check before buying taller wheels as there can be clearance problems between the tire and frame....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets