Removing HF trailer cross members...is it a problem?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Removing HF trailer cross members...is it a problem?

Postby Thunderknight » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:48 am

I built the 1740# Harbor Freight trailer for my TTT. I plan to take advantage a dropped floor in areas. What I am wondering, do I really need the 2 cross members that are in the middle of each half (about 22" in from each end)? I plan to build a strong floor frame.

:scratchthinking:

What purpose do these cross members serve? Is it just for weight distribution from the load, or are they essential to stiffing the trailer frame against twisting? If the latter, how about moving them forward or back (redrilling the frame) to adjust the size of my dropped floor openings?

I would just be removing them entirely (or shifting location), and not replacing them with wood, because I think the sides are plenty strong on this trailer. I'm thinking because of the floor frame system, most of the weight will end up on the side rails.

Thanks
Thunderknight
Teardrop Builder

Postby Alphacarina » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:44 am

I think you'd be safe without them

My guess would be that they are needed to stiffen the floor to get the 1740 rating for a loaded trailer - No doubt they also take some twist out of the trailer frame if all you had was a flat deck on it, but with the box of a tear on top, twisting won't be any problem

So long as you're sure your floor won't need the added support, I would say give them the boot ;)

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets