Is this too close for the floor to my tires?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby bobhenry » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:56 am

Here is a shot.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Thunderknight » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:36 pm

bobhenry: Thanks for the picture. That is interesting.
Do you have any problem being able to change the tire? It looks like the bottom (2x4?) of your floor frame is below the top of the tire. Unless you came far enough to allow the tire to clear the studs, would it get jammed up?
Thunderknight
Teardrop Builder

Re: Is this too close for the floor to my tires?

Postby nikwax » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:12 pm

Thunderknight wrote:In trying to figure out how to overhang my TTT floor past the 4' width of the trailer, I know of two possibilties: Build wheel wells or build up my floor above the tire.

For option 2, I am trying to figure out how high I need to make the floor above the tires to make sure it never hits.
Since this is the 12" 1740# HF trailer, the tire top sits about 1.5" above the top of the frame...so I can't just go straight across flat like Steve did with his Puffin. If I use a 2x4 to frame the floor, I would clear the tire with my decking by about 2".
Thoughts?
Matt

Steve did not go straight out (what would be supporting the floor after all), he used 2x4 for a 2" rise. Others are using 2x2 framing for the same purpose.
nikwax
Silver Donating Member

Re: Is this too close for the floor to my tires?

Postby Thunderknight » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:29 pm

nikwax wrote:Steve did not go straight out (what would be supporting the floor after all), he used 2x4 for a 2" rise. Others are using 2x2 framing for the same purpose.

I guess I should have been clearer. What I meant is that Steve just ran the 2x4s on their wide side (the x4) vs doing a joist type framing. I was talking about doing a joist framing (2x4 on the x2 side, with 2x4s at the ends running perpendicular to the joists) since I need the height and that would strengthen the ends of the 2x4s too.

Steve's Picture:
He didn't run anything along the ends of the 2x4s.
Thunderknight
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:24 pm

Thunderknight wrote:bobhenry: Thanks for the picture. That is interesting.
Do you have any problem being able to change the tire? It looks like the bottom (2x4?) of your floor frame is below the top of the tire. Unless you came far enough to allow the tire to clear the studs, would it get jammed up?

NOPE !

In fact these 12" came of Eggbert my motorcycle tear and I put the 8" off of this one on the bike tear to lower the pull angle in line with my Goldwing
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Alphacarina » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:06 pm

Freebird wrote:The HF HD trailer will easily take an 1,800 pound load without deflecting the springs even 1 inch!!!!!!
In that case I would defintely remove a leaf or maybe even two from the springs for use in a lightweight tear - The suspension sounds way too stiff for a light trailer and it may bounce a lot more than you would like

Don
Alphacarina
500 Club

Postby nikwax » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:57 am

I have the HF 1175# trailer. The maximum axle travel is 2". I'd assume that 3" of clearance is sufficient.

My center 2x2 (the one joining the two sheets of flooring) would have been very close to the tire. I removed the sections of 2x2 near the tires, then added a second 2x2 forward of that to provide needed stiffness where the door will be. I'm also doing wheel wells.
nikwax
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gerdo » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:44 pm

I only have 2.25" between my tires and the wheelwell. I have had a little rubbing and that probably happened bouncing it down some of the offroad trails that I go. My wheelwells are steel so no big deal. The rub marks are rusted so it probably happened before I installed my shocks.

Note: my frame is not a HF frame, it is home built.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets