Green Treated Plywood

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby mwatters » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:04 pm

Other downsides of treated plywood:

1) It's heavy as hell.

2) You can't use it with fiberglass resin (the chemicals prevent the resin from setting).

I would agree that if it's sealed away from the cabin that the chemicals wouldn't be a problem - but I don't really think the bottom sides of trailers are all that sensitive. I had a 30 year old Boler with an untreated/unprotected plywood floor. It had no floor problems whatsoever. Water coming down from above (rain, leaking plumbing etc) is the problem. Water drifting up from the occasional wet roadway just isn't an issue.

Mike
Mike
Watters
mwatters
Teardrop Master

Postby Alfred » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:41 am

bobhenry wrote:When I built the motorcycle tear I coated the floor, top and bottom ,the sides, inside and out and even the spars before the roof installation with that white rubberized roof coating for mobile homes ( Polar seal, kool seal ect ) It has been in the weather since Feb 07 Rain ,Heat, Snow and now more rain.. There has been absolutely no degradation of the osb that it seals. I think it was a great move. It is odor free after 24 hours will not chalk or rub off. It is resistant to abrasion and is thick enough to seal any gaps in the framing. I used 2 very liberal coats .

Anybody else use this coating? I've heard people mention expoxy, fiberglass, other sealants. What is the most effective versus cost-effective?

THanks, AL in Asheville :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:46 am

Al, if you want cheap and effective, it is hard to beat asphalt emulsion...usually around 10 bucks a gallon and available most everywhere........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Tear Fan » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:14 am

What about using AdvanTech? It's got a 50-year warranty against water damage . . .

Tear Fan
Life is so short, we should all move more slowly. - Thich Nhat Hanh

Photos - http://flickr.com/photos/47726343@N00/
Tear Fan
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets