6-pin adapter for OEM 4-pin

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

6-pin adapter for OEM 4-pin

Postby aggie79 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:32 pm

I have a 2007 Honda CR-V with the factory hitch (1500# gross, 150# tongue weight) and 4-pin trailer connector. Even though I am planning a TTT with a weight of about 1000-1200#, I would like to use electric trailer brakes.

I am thinking about use a 6-pin connector adapter from e-trailer that plugs into the 4-pin connector. http://www.etrailer.com/pc-A~30637.htm This would mean that I only would need to run a power leg from the battery and a "brake" leg from the brake controller.

What do y'all think - too many connectors? Should I wire the vehicle just for the 6-pin?

Thanks
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby jeep_bluetj » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:36 pm

I'd wire up a 7 pin, as that's a far more popular connector than the 6 pin. 7 to flat 4 adapters are widely available.

You could rig somehing up with a pile of adaptors/wires/etc.. but it'd be a much cleaner install witha 7pin.

Brakes are good for short/light tow vehicles.
-- Jeff --
jeep_bluetj
Teardrop Master

Postby Dale M. » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:59 pm

I'd drop the use of the 4 pin and rewire car to 7 pin "RV" connector ( not 7 pin truck) because it is the most popular, gives you your standard signals, electric brake wiring and a possible onboard battery charge lead....

Any time you start getting adapters and extra connector into mix it get complicated and messy to connect up...

Just wire it "industry standard" and you can connect up to any trailer with your car or use any car or truck with 7 pin standard to tow trailer...

http://www.etrailer.com/faq_wiring.aspx

Also backup light on trailer is NOT a bad idea.

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:00 am

Okay, 7-way connector is the way I'll go.

After considering about my initial post, I'm not sure what I was thinking. There is no need to "adapt" since I have already have ground and turn and tail light leads at the hitch. I just need to cut off the 4-way connector, extend the other leads and wire in the 7-way connector.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets