Trailer Towing Safety

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Frog » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:39 pm

Oddly, passengers are allowed to travel in a 5th wheel or Camper in California as long as there is communications with the driver. This does not apply to a tow behind trailer.

I guess the duffuses in the California legislature never saw 1953 Lucielle Ball and Desi Arnez "The Long Long Trailer" movie before they wrote that in.
Frog
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:07 pm

brian_bp wrote:
The reference to passengers is strange, especially since passengers generally are not allowed to ride in trailers, but perhaps this was intended to indicate that it is the weight as towed - not as camped with people inside - which is relevant.

I'm guessing: Horse trailers and the like with animals being the 'passengers'?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Trailer Safety

Postby RonMelancon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:09 pm

Please...Please... don't take this an attack on your freedom.

Please go to www.dangeroustrailers.org

I have seen a Teardrop trailer and I got to tell you.. the one I saw in Richmond was simply the BEST.

It had working lights...it had the safety cable..it even had reflector tape.

What the mission of www.dangeroustrailers.org is to bring a NATIONAL STANDARD FOR THIS CLASS OF VEHICLE.

Currently right now 8 states do not even require safety chains!!!!! 23 states do not even address "How to tow in the DMV manuel"

As you can see...every state has different rules....the issue is you could have it hooked up corectly...but someone in front of you could not and you can loose your life.

Go here to see what happend last week in Virginia Beach..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYEQkQMO6sQ

We are working with www.safetysentryinc.com

to address the lack of safety with respects of safety chains.

I am simply a person who works retail and has no vested interest in anything but trying to save lives.

Since 1975 15,211 lives lost...

Since 1988 over 435,000 injured

Since 1988 over 738,025 things destroyed...

and we do nothing...

This is simply not acceptable...

Look at what we received from a VA State Trooper...

Here is a E Mail Received From A Trooper...

Ron,

I'm just wanted to let you know that I appreciate your passion involving these trailers. On a weekly basis I issue summons to operators of these types of vehicles to include dead inspections, no state inspections, no break away brake cable, no safety chains and other related violations. I make an effort to check every 2 axle trailer I pass during my routine patrol duties when I have free time. Some of us do take these matters very seriously. I have even spoken to the assistant manager at my local Home Depot reference them complying with state law and inspecting their rental trailers. I've noticed that some of them now have inspections and I will be checking them again soon, this time while on duty for a bigger impact. On a daily basis I look at the vehicle belonging to the young woman that was killed with her 8 month old child in the vehicle by an unsecured, poorly loaded 2 axle trailer. The vehicle is in the impound lot at our division headquarters. This keeps me motivated to enforce these laws, thanks for all your efforts.

http://www.dangeroustrailers.org/Page_4BKB.html
RonMelancon
Teardrop Inspector

Trailer Safety Part Two

Postby RonMelancon » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:16 pm

Please understand...7 years.... what started out as a way to give back...

has now become a family destroying oddssey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYEQkQMO6sQ

I can't stop....but yet these companies keep up the fight.... so now I am $90,000 invested in this with no funding.

I used my equity...my credit.. to keep going in the hopes that somebody would help!!

Even Nicholas Cage...I can't even get in touch with him.. His P.A. was killed in Hawaii by a loose canoe trailer... it went right through his chest.

NO SAFETY CHAINS....

go to www.dangeroustrailers.org and look for "Why did Michael Davidson Die"

Again... Last year 390 lost their lives....and over 12,000 injured...

and we don't address...why?

Why should anybody go to the dump and take a cash for clunker pick up truck and cut it in half and weld on a hitch... and call it a trailer and nobody checks.. it...

Look at this accident..http://www.dangeroustrailers.org/uploads/TA14new.pdf

Read the last page.... it confirms what this posting has said....

and nobody does nothing...

Can somebody help me to continue? The life I might be saving is someone in this forum...
RonMelancon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby synaps3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:01 pm

:thinking:

I can't help by funding, but I think all of us on this forum use safety chains and take every precaution possible. Much of the problem isn't from artists (I would definitely consider some of the trailers here works of art) on this site, but rather from individuals renting trailers and trailer rentals.

Not to try to knock you down, but I think you might be barking up the wrong tree with safety discussions here -- especially considering this thread is a sticky. 8)

But as always, this is an even better reminder to use your chains, and always be careful when towing...
-- Dave

Build log: here
synaps3
The 300 Club

Postby dovaka » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:07 pm

ive always had a problem with people being able to buy a massive rv or trailer and drive it with a normal license but i had to go threw hell for my CDL license to drive a slightly large box truck. i also totally agree that it seems that most people dont have a clue on how to properly tow a trailer and it should be like a cdl where you need a endorsement on your license to tow any kind of trailer at all
dovaka
The 300 Club

9 Common Travel Trailers and 5th Wheel RV Towing Tips

Postby Vishu » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:43 am

1. If you are new to RV towing, take time to practice towing your travel trailer or fifth wheel before driving on main roads. Most seasoned RVers recommend finding a large vacant lot and setting up some traffic cones to practice turning and backing.

2. Never allow anyone to ride in or on the travel trailer.

3. Before you leave on a trip, remember to check routes and restrictions on bridges and tunnels.

4. Use the trailer hitch system the manufacturer recommends for towing.

5. Drive at moderate speeds. This will place less strain on your tow vehicle and RV trailer. Trailer instability (sway) is more likely to occur as speed increases.

6. Avoid sudden stops and starts that can cause skidding, sliding, or jackknifing.

7. Avoid sudden steering maneuvers that might create sway or undue side force on the travel trailer. Fifth wheels are less susceptible to side force sway but you should still be aware of the possibility.

8. Slow down when traveling over bumpy roads, railroad crossings, and ditches.

9. Make wider turns at curves and corners. Because your trailer’s wheels are closer to the inside of a turn than the wheels of your tow vehicle, they are more likely to hit or ride up over curbs.
Vishu
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Trailer Towing Safety

Postby haha49 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:03 pm

The law around here is go over half you towing capacity you need brakes on the trailer. It's all about the weight and really what the tow vechial can stop think of it this way the trailer pushes you down the hill or when you emergency brake. So 10ft no trailer might become 15 at half capacity and 25 at full then go over to much and you can't stop or become a run away vehicle. Stay within towing spec factor in other things for a boat it's 1100lbs then 500 for the trailer 300 for the motor then full tank of gas 100 gallons is a fair amount of extra weight. Then add in life jackets cooler fishing rods ect it gets up there fast. Which is why people go over which is ok under normal driving but have an emergency and brake hard at 75 mph your going to have a bad day. Short trip slow speeds overloaded alot less risky take the highway and have a bad day. You can also bend or crack truck frames hauling to much
haha49
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets