Powder Coating

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Powder Coating

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:21 pm

I found someone who will powder coat my trailer rims for $25 each. Does this sound reasonable?
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:19 pm

If you like the price then it's reasonable. It seems okay to me. :D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Juneaudave » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:09 am

What do the rims look like? And will you get the color and look you like? Ya know...you can spend a bunch of money on rims and tires and $25 per wheel doesn't seem outrageous to me....But it is a personal choice and a matter of balancing cost, the look you want, and what you can afford!!!! Wheels are one of those things that vary from junkyard finds to special order depending on a lot of factors!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:18 am

Juneaudave wrote:What do the rims look like? And will you get the color and look you like? Ya know...you can spend a bunch of money on rims and tires and $25 per wheel doesn't seem outrageous to me....But it is a personal choice and a matter of balancing cost, the look you want, and what you can afford!!!! Wheels are one of those things that vary from junkyard finds to special order depending on a lot of factors!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

They are the standard white painted rims that come with the trailer. The white ones on my horse trailer started rusting very fast so I want to do something on my teardrop trailer that will prevent this problem. I have to see what colors are available but I want to try to get a color that is fairly close to the color the trailer will be.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:38 am

I think 25$ is a bargain. I know I paid more than that. I also had to pay an upcharge for a color that he didn't have in stock, seems I'm the only one that wanted that green! Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby TPMcGinty » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:57 am

doug hodder wrote:I think 25$ is a bargain. I know I paid more than that. I also had to pay an upcharge for a color that he didn't have in stock, seems I'm the only one that wanted that green! Doug

Doug, I might have to pay more for a color that he doesn't have. I will have to see. Did they powder coat the inside of your rim too?
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

powder coating

Postby eamarquardt » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:59 am

I was quoted $40 for a sheet metal part I made for my kitchen stove that was already bare metal. So $25/wheel for sandblasting (I assume they'll sandblast first) and powder coating seems very reasonable.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:36 am

doug hodder wrote:I also had to pay an upcharge for a color that he didn't have in stock, seems I'm the only one that wanted that green! Doug

Hmmmmm......Noo!!......hard to imagine that!!!! 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hadda do it Doug! If you didn't see that one comin'.... :lol: :lol:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:21 am

I saw that one coming when I typed it Rich! I think I can pull it all together.

They blasted the entire wheel and coated it completely. It was a new wheel also, no existing paint on it. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets