Frame options

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Frame options

Postby Mark McD » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:09 am

After surveying the trailer I wanted to use... an old Starcraft pop-up...I decided it's a roach and I'm not going to use it. I could salvage the axle but I'll just keep the trailer for a yard cart.

So, that takes me back to square one... I need a frame. I priced out the options to build one... axle, 2x2 square tube,etc and I have a friend willing to weld one up but the cost comes out to be about the same price as the Red brand 5x10, sans shipping. So, I may just drive to PA to pick up the kit and save on the shipping...maybe check out Philly for a day and make it worth the trip,(about 6 hours).

Having to purchase a trailer is going to set my start up time back a month or so, but that's okay- I'll have more time for planning. :cry:

More random musings
Cheers, :cry:
Mark

If all the world's a stage, who's the audience? :cry:
Last edited by Mark McD on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like turtles
Mark
I don't feel tardy
Mark McD
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:27 am

Mark, iff'n it were me and I hadda choice between a custom trailer, built to my specific needs or a store bought one that I would havvta modify my plans to fit, I would go custom...if using 2xtube, I would go with a lighter gauge tube...like 16ga...with something heavier for the tongue...presently we are using 1x2x3/16 "C" channel for the frame...it is cheaper and lighter than tube...we use 2x1/4tube for the tongue with 1x2 braces, for a "Y" configuration..........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:29 am

Having been where you are, and opting to build a frame (see my gallery), I would do it again. However, if I did it again, I would go very minimalistic on the frame and the amount of steel in it. It is my opinion, most all of the frames under teardrops are overkill.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mark McD » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:31 pm

Made some phone calls this afternoon to figure out the actual cost to build a 5x10 trailer.I had a friend with an account at a steel supplier get my steel pricing at his cost.
Here's what I have so far:

2x2 square tube-16 gauge 72 feet @ 89.90 per 100# = 110 + cutting=$128

Axle, springs, perch seats,coupler, etc = $159

wheels= $0... I have a set
Labor to weld... two four packs of Great Lakes Conways Irish Ale

Looks like I may be building one.?

Cheers,
Mark :thumbsup:
I like turtles
Mark
I don't feel tardy
Mark McD