Body to Frame question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Body to Frame question

Postby 2bits » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:12 am

So I have decided to build a Modernaire Cub, and I have two questions. First off, I want to build it where the profile length is 10 foot. I think that is the standard anyway, but since all I have are the generic Benroy plans to use as a guide I need to nail down some particulars, because I will be building the trailer in the 4-6 weeks for the drawings to come back from Grant at lilBear. He hasn't activaed me at his forum yet so I can't ask him.

Because of the ellipse, I can see that I don't need a 10 foot trailer, would I build the 10' cub on top of a 8' or 9' trailer? I am building the trailer from scratch.

Next, I was going to send a sheet of 4x10 paper to Grant to trace the profile for the sides, and cabinets, but I went to Home Depot, and they just have 3' paper rolls and Hobby Lobby doesn't have anything, where can I locate a roll of paper 4' wide?

Here is what I am after (a woody version)

Thanks guys! The countdown has begun! ! !
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:30 am

I ordered a profile layout from Grant a couple years ago and without unrolling it I think these were the measurements for my 5' x 10'.
The square section is 96", the angled and straight part of the tongue is about 54", the width is 57 1/2" and the spindle of the axle is 35 1/2" from the rear. The TD box overhangs the chassis about 5" ( in the rear) and goes into the front angled area. I hope that's clear enough. Your requirements may differ so lay it out. ;) Danny

Edit: Overall length 150" ;)
Last edited by halfdome, Danny on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby 2bits » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:31 am

Thanks for the info! I was looking in the design library at the cub yesterday, and I had been looking for standard draftsman lines and dimensions. I just ZOOMED in on the Cub profile and saw the legend at the bottom! :o Wow, it's a 7ft square frame for a 10ft body, and 7' of sleeping space! I like the sound of that! Sounds light!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby toypusher » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:39 am

Thomas,

You know Grant is a member here and you could email him! [email protected]
toypusher
Site Admin

Where to get Paper

Postby madprinter » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:13 pm

To get 4' paper look in the phone book, if theres a carton plant in your area they'll possibly have what you need. I run a press at a Folding carton plant. We get the paper in large rolls. If any of it is dirty or damaged in anyway we roll it off and discard it. Most places will give you some just for asking. Good luck with your build. William
madprinter
The 300 Club

Re: Body to Frame question

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:26 pm

2bits wrote:Next, I was going to send a sheet of 4x10 paper to Grant to trace the profile for the sides, and cabinets, but I went to Home Depot, and they just have 3' paper rolls and Hobby Lobby doesn't have anything, where can I locate a roll of paper 4' wide?

Why not just pay Grant the $35 and save the time, gas and postage to send it all to him. Grant supplied me with a large sheet of heavy brown paper and sent it all in a PVC tube along with the proper postage, a terrific bargain for sure. :thumbsup: Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby 2bits » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:19 am

I was thinking it would be "nicer" if I could furnish all the stuff to him since I know it is just extra work for him and probably pretty low priority for someone who just throws cash at him making him do all the running around, when he's got teardrops to build. I know he offers it, maybe I'm overly considerate, but that's me. I was also hoping maybe since it would be easier for him, that might give me a better chance of getting it back faster because all he would have to do is trace it and ship it.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby asianflava » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:03 am

Believe me, Grant probably doesn't mind. He offers it as a service. Met him at IRG I we were the few night owls who hung out at the fire telling all kinds of stories.

If it still bothers you you can just outright buy a full sized pattern from Tiny Tears

Oh BTW I think my frame is like 88 inches long with a 10 ft tear on top. It's all 2X2X1/8, if I'd do it over, I'd make the tongue out of 2X3X1/8.

asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby 2bits » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:16 pm

Nice Tear!

That's interesting that you mentioned the frame actually, I was talking to my friend yesterday who is going to weld the frame and he had suggested the same thing, and while it will remove almost all of the flex, it would only add like 30# so I have decided to do 2x3.

Is 16ga the same as 1/8? I have seen the mention of both thicknesses, I am getting the feeling 16ga is thicker but 1/8 would be fine due to the increased measurments. Is that correct?

Speaking of.. the 3" that would be the height right, not laid flat?

We are also wanting to put the angle bars back for added strength and so I can do a tongue box as well. He was surprised that there was just the straight bar. What's everyone's opinion on this for the cub? It obviously seems like it is not needed since it is a tried and true design, but it does "feel" weaker.

Thank you for the Tiny Tears link, I had looked there but must've missed it, that is cheaper and faster and still full size so I just ordered it! There are so many good sites out there, and I'll see one at work and when I get home it gets lost in the shuffle. I will still be working with Grant and his site too as he is very knowledgeable and friendly. I am excited that part of it is in process and the frame will be started next week!

I ask alot of questions, but I hope I only ask them once!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby angib » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:16 pm

2bits wrote:Is 16ga the same as 1/8?

No, very different:
11ga is 0.120", or about 1/8"
14ga is 0.083"
16ga is 0.065", or about 1/16"

So 16ga is almost exactly half 1/8".

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Ralf » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:02 pm

I built 5x9 frame for my 10 foot teardrop due to the curve at front on my elongated raised benroy with retro front bottom curve. Usen 1/8 2x2 for frame and 2x3 for single tongue. An A frame is nice for box but I think the box in front of the bottom curve takes away from the look. But on a standard Benroy with no front bottom curve I think it looks good.

Be daring mock up a 5x 10 sheet from 1/4 luan and start drawing. Plot a couple of points and use thin piece of wood bent over points (nails) for curves. No two profiles are alike. Cut it out and clamp and brace it on your trailer. Stand back, get a lawn chair and look it over. Have your beltsander handy. It took me about an hour to fair it to please my eye. I even went in the house and looked at it out the window. Have fun, there is no right way. My design evolves around my mistakes.
Fayetteville West Virginia, at the rim of the New River Gorge National River. Whitewater, mountain biking, rock climbing. One of BUDGET MAGAZINE'S TOP TEN COOLIST SMALL TOWNS IN AMERICA. Fetured in National Geographic Adventure Magazine., Noah Adams' (NPR) book,"Follow the River". Neww River George Bridge, 876 foot tall single arch. On Bridge Day sky divers jump from the bridge and live, most of the time.
Ralf
Teardrop Advisor

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:40 pm

2 Bits...I've built a couple in 16 Ga. and at least 1 in 1/8". The beauty is it's half the weight of the 1/8" and still plenty strong. I do use heavier material on the tongue however. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby 2bits » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:45 pm

Yeah, I'll be doing 2x3x1/8 for the frame, still tossing around the a-frame tho. I have already decided on the profile as the Modernaire. I ordered the profile today, and I am very happy with that, thanks tho!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets