Yet Another wheel and tire question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby G-force » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:36 pm

You might want to try out your own wheels before buying some...I just mounted some 15 x 5 trailer wheels (zero offset) on my #9 Dexter torflex axle today and noticed there is only about 1.5" inches clearance rome the rim to the tortion arm. I think the offset that automotive wheels have will probaly hit the arm without a big spacer and longer studs. Something to watch out for.

Mike

madprinter wrote:I just purchased a dexter alxe with 5x4.5 hubs. Its the same patern as my Ford Explorer Sport. I'm with Rich on picking up wheels and tires at the boneyard. Save that money for something else on your build. Rich posted a lug pattern chart . Print it out and take it with you.
Thanks to Rich for the bolt pattern printout. I used it myself when finding the lug pattern on my Explorer :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike
G-force
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:54 am

G-force wrote:...and noticed there is only about 1.5" inches clearance rome the rim to the tortion arm....

It's time for my once-every-two-months repeat of this diagram that I think shows the problem Mike is talking about:

These are 16" Jeep wheels on a #9 Dexter - 15" wheels would be that much worse.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets