Jelly belly old style wheels ?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Jelly belly old style wheels ?

Postby del » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Looking for new wheels for the jelly belly. First I need to get tyres and wheels, then axle, and then figure out a fender to go around them. For tyres and wheels something tall and skinny, old car feeling. A wheel people look at and can not quite place (you may call it oddball). Please respond with ideas.

del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:07 am

Another idea, to match the 'other worldly' look of the Roswell, would be to go for the no-wheels-at-all look. Keep the little wheels and make fairly large fenders that come right down over the wheels so that they can't be easily seen. The wheels could be painted black to complete the look.

I'm thinking of maybe something like miniature versions of the body as fenders - maybe hinged to the body along their top so they can be lifted up for easy tyre access.

That is with 6" clearance between the fender and road, which I think is enough for anything except rock-crawling.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:01 pm

angib wrote:Another idea, to match the 'other worldly' look of the Roswell, would be to go for the no-wheels-at-all look. Keep the little wheels and make fairly large fenders that come right down over the wheels so that they can't be easily seen. The wheels could be painted black to complete the look.

I'm thinking of maybe something like miniature versions of the body as fenders - maybe hinged to the body along their top so they can be lifted up for easy tyre access.

That is with 6" clearance between the fender and road, which I think is enough for anything except rock-crawling.

Andrew
Andrew any idea how to build them? Or profiles to build to? This makes me think of the idea of making the fenders look like doors for landing gear of an airplane. Simply build a rectangle pattern, that has the same curve as the body, hinge it at the top,and use strut rod things that could unbolt for tyre replacement. I wish I could see it before I build it. Mike or Andrew how hard would it be to add this to your 3-d drawing?

Thanks del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:33 am

Something like this (I've not done a 3D Roswell, so you'll have to imagine the rest of the body):

Image Image
Image Image

For simplicity, all the shapes are simple circular arcs, one for the front, one for the back and one for the outer side. As you don't see the inner side, it's flat.

Two (green) bulkheads in front and behind the tyre hold the shape and also are used in building it. The curved pieces are 1/8" ply (probably doubled up for strength) and the flat bits are 1/4" ply with epoxy fillet joints.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby del » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:40 pm

angib wrote:Something like this (I've not done a 3D Roswell, so you'll have to imagine the rest of the body):

Image Image
Image Image

For simplicity, all the shapes are simple circular arcs, one for the front, one for the back and one for the outer side. As you don't see the inner side, it's flat.

Two (green) bulkheads in front and behind the tyre hold the shape and also are used in building it. The curved pieces are 1/8" ply (probably doubled up for strength) and the flat bits are 1/4" ply with epoxy fillet joints.

Andrew
Andrew a couple questions; 1. The circular arcs radius? 2. Dimensions for the bulkheads?

thanks del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby angib » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:05 pm

del, give me your email address - I'll send you a PDF.

Andrew
angib (at) blueyonder (dot) co (dot) uk
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby madprinter » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:46 pm

Cool looking design. I like it ,as it goes well with your design.

You may need a couple latches to hold them in place so you can easily remove them to change a flat .
madprinter
The 300 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets