leaf springs slipper fitting

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

leaf springs slipper fitting

Postby Muggnz » Thu May 29, 2008 4:38 am

Are there any do's or don't about positioning the rear bracket in relation to the spring? So that it won't fall off either whilst travelling or jacking the TD up. Or whatever . . .

Also how much room should there be between the spring slipper & the slipper guide bracket? Is there a recommended minimum and/or maximum distance? The brackets I was sold for my springs have about 10mm clearance both sides & 40mm in the vertical plane.

tia
david
Muggnz
Crybaby

Postby doug hodder » Thu May 29, 2008 8:09 am

Typically there is a keeper bolt that goes on the bottom of the rear hanger, and the springs have a bend at the aft end to allow them to not slip through the keeper bolt when servicing the trailer or travelling. That's how I've seen /worked on them here. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Dale M. » Thu May 29, 2008 10:25 am

I would think if holder for slipper end is places where spring in unloaded position can not slip out you are in good shape... Especially if there is no retainer "system" on slipper end.... Also remember to keep slipper "pad" well greased to prevent wear....

My person opinion is slippers are not the best possible way to mount spring.... It puts all the "stress" on single bolt. Yes they work and many trailers use them. I personally prefer springs with eyes on both ends and bolts and shackles.... They are a lot more stable....and more "connected"...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: leaf springs slipper fitting

Postby del » Thu May 29, 2008 11:32 am

Muggnz wrote:Image

Are there any do's or don't about positioning the rear bracket in relation to the spring? So that it won't fall off either whilst travelling or jacking the TD up. Or whatever . . .

Also how much room should there be between the spring slipper & the slipper guide bracket? Is there a recommended minimum and/or maximum distance? The brackets I was sold for my springs have about 10mm clearance both sides & 40mm in the vertical plane.

tia
david
I have an utility trailer with this set up (will take pics if you like), and put the brackets back as far as is safe with no weight on them, cause under compression the spring gets longer. If the bracket is too far forward the spring will bind under compression, or to far back it will come apart.

hope this helps del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Muggnz » Fri May 30, 2008 5:38 am

thanks to all.

Dale, Mine came at an appropriate price. Saving me a little bit of money I can spend elsewhere on th td. I agree with your comment about being able to bolt both ends.

Doug, Do you have a picture of a keeper bolt? It's hard to visualise what you're describing. It seem like something I might be able to use.

david
Muggnz
Crybaby

Postby doug hodder » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:14 pm

Sorry David....I don't have a picture. The Dexter operation/maintenance manual has a pic of one, but it is on a tandem set up. I've seen them in single use however. The bolt would be on the bottom edge of the aft hanger (slipper portion) tying the 2 sides together. Springs can have a curve downward on the rear to not allow it to slip through when jacking the trailer. Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby del » Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:23 pm

Here is a pic of the two styles I own. First is on a ulility trailer I own, it has worked fine for 12 years that I have owned it. Yes I have abused it, neglected it, overloaded it, but it still works fine.

Here is the one that came from harbor freight with a bolt.

hope this helps del
del
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:04 am

A piece of 2x2x1/8 square tubing makes an acceptable substitute for the rear keeper on slipper springs. Cut a piece about and inch long and weld it about the middle of the flat section of the spring. Works fine last a long time. :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Muggnz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:13 am

Del,

thanks for the pix. They let me understand what was needed. Unfortunately my springs don't have a hook or similar on their end. Hence my initial confusion, as I thought that the design of yours would mirror mine.

The 2 slipper leaves are completely flat :( . So I'll have to hope that gravity holds them in place. In fact none of the slipper ended springs in the Trojan ( The Best available locally ) catalogue have anything other than flat ends :thumbdown:
Muggnz
Crybaby

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:57 am

Muggnz wrote:
The 2 slipper leaves are completely flat :( . So I'll have to hope that gravity holds them in place. In fact none of the slipper ended springs in the Trojan ( The Best available locally ) catalogue have anything other than flat ends :thumbdown:

I think it does, it holds the trailer down on top of them. They don't go anywhere except when you jack up the trailer, that's when the holder comes into play. If you don't have anything below the back of the springs they just let the axle drop down. The hook on the back of the spring is just the way they make that spring it doesn't do anything toward holding it in the spring holder so flat is really irrelevant. If you put your holder about the center of the flat spot when the springs aren't loaded it won't come out cause they don't flex that far.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Muggnz » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:24 am

thanks
Muggnz
Crybaby

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets