So you want to be a welder?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby 01Sport » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:36 pm

Any opinions on something like this?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tls/1461922298.html
Would it weld up a frame, .012 thickness?

Or would this be better?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tls/1461583243.html
K.C.

Teardrop Name: Golden State Teardrop
01Sport
Teardrop Master

Postby Dark Horse » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:44 pm

I'm partial to the miller. Both are good machines, .12 is almost the top end for both.
I like anything that turns money into noise.
Dark Horse
Teardrop Master

Postby 01Sport » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:25 am

Thanks Dark Horse, I appreciate your response.
K.C.

Teardrop Name: Golden State Teardrop
01Sport
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:04 am

That's a good price for either machine. I'd scrape the money together to get either one. I still haven't bought a mcahine yet (obivously) but I did get my KitchenAid Mixer.

I spent a couple months working on day shift at work. When we had some down time and the fab guys were working on something, I'd bug them to let me burn some metal. I was practicing blending with the TIG machine mainly. I was getting a little better but I had to go back to nights before I could get much torch time in.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Larwyn » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:35 am

I got by fine with a Lincoln Welpack 100 and a oxy/acetylene rig for a very long time. Only recently upgrading to a heavier duty machine, this time Millermatic 180 w/autoset, and a plasma cutter. Ended up selling the little Lincoln but still keep the oxy/acetylene around for the occasional brazing and for cutting stuff that's just too thick for my little Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme plasma cutter. And my old Lincoln AC 225 stick welder is not going anywhere for the same reason (welding stuff that is just too thick or too dirty for the little mig machine. My only reason for going to Miller instead of sticking with Lincoln is that the local welding supplier can order anything Lincoln but stocks about everything Miller. The bigger welder is easier to use, no doubt, but I still kinda miss the ability to plug that little Lincoln into any outlet and get to work. Now I have to move the work into the garage or driveway in order to reach the 240 volt outlet in the garage. My 4kw generator would probably run the Miller okay but I have not tried that yet.

Either machine should probably do fine as long as you keep your expectations within the limitations of the smaller machines.
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby allisb48 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Say have I got the machine for making a trailer? I bought a Hobart 140 years ago. I have used it on a VW bug and had good results with that (although burn through was a problem on the thin stuff). Would the Hobart unit have the welding power to make a 6 x 10 or not? Any ideas?
Got the trailer now what do I do?
allisb48
Teardrop Inspector

Welder/Weldor

Postby down under tech » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:02 pm

The "Welder" is the welding machine that is used by the "Weldor" (Operator) to weld metal together. Not that I am trying to be a know it all. I am far from that. I read this in my Lincoln 180C 220 volt AC owners manual I got last year. You could weld a trailer frame easily with this machine. I am getting better and my welds are looking better. Practice, practice, practice. Very good info here in this thread.
Johnny D.

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right !" ... Henry Ford

"The Silver Nugget" Build
viewtopic.php?t=35314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
down under tech
Silver Donating Member

Re: Welder/Weldor

Postby Larwyn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:21 pm

down under tech wrote:The "Welder" is the welding machine that is used by the "Weldor" (Operator) to weld metal together. Not that I am trying to be a know it all. I am far from that. I read this in my Lincoln 180C 220 volt AC owners manual I got last year. You could weld a trailer frame easily with this machine. I am getting better and my welds are looking better. Practice, practice, practice. Very good info here in this thread.

I see that on the welding forums all the time, but you never hear of a company wanting to hire "weldors". And if I were to use the term on a resume it would be spelled "welder". Welder is a perfectly valid word for the person doing the welding, as well as the machine with which he does it. Personally I hate the word "weldor" and have never spelled it that way until this post........ :lol:

Out of curiosity I just used spell check on this post. It tells me that "weldor" is mispelled.....
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby allisb48 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:32 am

So would I be the weldor or weldee?
allisb48
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Corwin C » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:38 pm

allisb48 wrote:So would I be the weldor or weldee?

If you are the weldee you will most likely be suffering from severe burns... :shock: :R

From my limited experience, the best advice I have is practice, practice, practice, and then practice a little more. If you're having trouble, get someone knowledgeable to give you a little advice. Welding is truly a SKILL and only comes with experience, and practice.
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Postby allisb48 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:04 pm

So am I to understand that there are no knowledged people here to give advice? HAHA
allisb48
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Larwyn » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:46 pm

allisb48 wrote:So am I to understand that there are no knowledged people here to give advice? HAHA

My opinion is that your welder is a little on the wimpy side for building trailers. If I am not mistaken it is a 115 volt machine and when this question comes up on the welding forums they are generally not recommended for building trailer frames unless in the hands of an expert welder. If you are in doubt, we would all appreciate it if you did not put a trailer on the road that is likely to start shedding parts at 60 mph. Only you know your own abilities with that machine, if you are not confident in your abilities you should not build anything that will be going down the highway, regardless of the machine. I would not build a frame with a Hobart 140. I did weld my bolt together frame with a similar machine but it is also bolted and I had plenty of experience with my little welder. For insurance on a bolted frame it should be fine, for actually building a frame, I vote no. Since I got my MM 180 I would never go back to the smaller machine it will handle thicker metal and will do a better job on the thin stuff too. :thumbsup:
Larwyn

Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby emiller » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:59 pm

I have used my Millermatic 130XP for trailer frames before. It has shut down on me once welding in the summer but it out performs most other 115 volt welders. I use my Miller 250 for most big jobs. I haven't used the Miller Syncwave Tig yet that we have at work but the aircraft mechanics use it all the time and just love it.
emiller
Donating Member

Pick a Welder

Postby Scott Hightower » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:35 am

I am also a big fan of Miller.

Here is a versatile machine that will get the job done. It will be handy to have around the shop for future projects.

http://www.welders360.com/brand/lmillermatic-140-mig-welder/

Scott
Scott Hightower
Teardrop Inspector

Postby doug hodder » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:08 am

allisb48 wrote:So would I be the weldor or weldee?

In these politically correct and sensitive times, I think the proper term should be "weldperson"...don't laugh...It'll probably happen! ;) Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets