So you want to be a welder?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby chorizon » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:23 am

allisb48 wrote: I bought a Hobart 140 years ago.

Have they been making them that long...just how old are you? :thinking: :lol:
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member

Postby afreegreek » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:49 pm

allisb48 wrote:So would I be the weldor or weldee?
you may be a weldette if you're female..
afreegreek
500 Club

Postby mopar » Wed May 05, 2010 12:07 am

The welding machines that I use.
Jim (northwest Indiana)
mopar
Teardrop Inspector

Buy a 220V MIG

Postby Scott Hightower » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:49 am

Great information on this thread!!!!!!!!!

My advice for a newbie welder is to buy a 220V MIG. You can easily install a double breaker in your home panel to get the 220V supply and a MIG is one of the easiest processes to master in my mind. In particular for light gauge tubing used in trailer fabrication.

Happy camping!!!

Scott
http://www.welders360.com/
Scott Hightower
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bigv » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Hey guys I have a question. I have been looking here for a long time, and still not sure what I'm going to build. My question is about the welding on the trailer. I have been using a oxy/ace for years when I silver solder, can and will it be strong enough for a steel frame for my trailer. I really don't trust me with a 110 welder and that is the best I could do in our new house. no way I could get 220 with out getting another 200 amp service, because we are full on the 200 amp service we have now and wife would say heck no if i asked to spend that kind of cash on new service and a new welder. so no way no how. But if I could get some practice in a new kind of gas welding with my tanks I might be ok. But if you guys dont think so Ill just have to pay some one to do the welding, and I hate paying for that. thanks all.
Bigv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bve » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:44 am

Bigv wrote:Hey guys I have a question. I have been looking here for a long time, and still not sure what I'm going to build. My question is about the welding on the trailer. I have been using a oxy/ace for years when I silver solder, can and will it be strong enough for a steel frame for my trailer. I really don't trust me with a 110 welder and that is the best I could do in our new house. no way I could get 220 with out getting another 200 amp service, because we are full on the 200 amp service we have now and wife would say heck no if i asked to spend that kind of cash on new service and a new welder. so no way no how. But if I could get some practice in a new kind of gas welding with my tanks I might be ok. But if you guys dont think so Ill just have to pay some one to do the welding, and I hate paying for that. thanks all.

Larwyn wrote:If you are in doubt, we would all appreciate it if you did not put a trailer on the road that is likely to start shedding parts at 60 mph. Only you know your own abilities with that machine, if you are not confident in your abilities you should not build anything that will be going down the highway, regardless of the machine.

I gotta agree with Larwyn here. If in doubt, hire it out.
Burke

KISS > COMPLEX

Build threads converted to PDFs.
As of 2008-08-08 I have added more build threads to the pdf collection
bve
500 Club

Postby Bigv » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:30 am

This is true. But I'm going to get some steel and start practicing. One thing about gas welding. You will know if you get thru the steel unlike a 110 welder. I'll keep you guys up to date.
Bigv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Larwyn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:18 pm

Welding up the frame with oxy/acetylene might be a bit slower and more expensive than some other methods but if you already own the equipment it would not be a bad choice. There is no reason it would not work, and would definitely be cheaper than buying a new welding machine to do that one job.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby Bigv » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:33 pm

Yup I just found out my new neighbor is a welder and he said he will weld the frame if I want. or he said if I really want to do it my self he will work with me and teach me. He said its been along time since he took the gas welding class but is sure we can do it. And if not he will weld it with his mig. So Ill give my self a few months to learn. This is going to be fun. They way he talks very few people weld with gas anymore. He said its kind of like a plumber using lead. Crazy.
Bigv
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Larwyn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Sounds like you have a plan. Enjoy the build. :thumbsup:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby dh » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:26 pm

Bigv wrote:Yup I just found out my new neighbor is a welder and he said he will weld the frame if I want. or he said if I really want to do it my self he will work with me and teach me. He said its been along time since he took the gas welding class but is sure we can do it. And if not he will weld it with his mig. So Ill give my self a few months to learn. This is going to be fun. They way he talks very few people weld with gas anymore. He said its kind of like a plumber using lead. Crazy.

Torch welding is a good skill to have, if you can torch weld you can easily TIG weld. True, it isn't done much any more. Dad still torch welds on the farm for field repairs, well because thats how the field truck is set up. No need to invest in a gas welding machine just for a few repairs a year.
Ignorant doesn't know any better, Stupid knows better but does it anyway.

My build page: http://www.tdbuildlog.blogspot.com/
dh
Gold Donating Member

Postby tcolar » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:19 pm

At Harbor freight I found a welding book / guide "Haynes welding manual", item #33771 . (15$)

I don't know enough about welding to say if it's good, but it seem pretty detailed with lots of pictures , and the last chapter is a tutorial for which the example is welding a small utility trailer !

So I figure that might be of interest to others here.

tcolar
Teardrop Master

Postby frank_a » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:36 pm

I have a Lincoln SP175 MIG welder. I have welded 3/16 stuff to 3/8 stuff on my hot rod chassis and had it hold over time.

I learned on stick and had an AC/DC 220 box when I first started. I got rid of it and went with the 120V SP175, 030 wire and Ar/CO2 gas.

I'll be using the SP175 to build a custom chassis for the TD one of these days. Some of my problem is there is too much information on these forums! :shock: I'll never get it all!

Frank
Tiny travel trailer - 1979 Sunline Sunspot. Tow vehicles: 2008 Subaru AWD Outback, 2009 GMC 4WD Canyon. For fun: 1923 T bucket hot rod, 1962 Power Cat tunnel hull speed boat. 1974 Dodge Dart waiting for renovation.
frank_a
Teardrop Master

Postby tsmiley23 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:00 pm

Bigv wrote:Hey guys I have a question. I have been looking here for a long time, and still not sure what I'm going to build. My question is about the welding on the trailer. I have been using a oxy/ace for years when I silver solder, can and will it be strong enough for a steel frame for my trailer. I really don't trust me with a 110 welder and that is the best I could do in our new house. no way I could get 220 with out getting another 200 amp service, because we are full on the 200 amp service we have now and wife would say heck no if i asked to spend that kind of cash on new service and a new welder. so no way no how. But if I could get some practice in a new kind of gas welding with my tanks I might be ok. But if you guys dont think so Ill just have to pay some one to do the welding, and I hate paying for that. thanks all.

Others here have stated the same problem as you "a full electric panel at their house". I would like to suggest some possible solutions that may help. I go to houses all of the time in the construction trade to build handrails and my first question is "Where's the 220 electricity?" I've plugged into dryer outlets, stove outlets and have even gone into breaker boxes and disconnected other 220 appliances and temporarily wired in my 175 Lincoln. Just have to make sure it's a 50 amp breaker and I have even replaced these. I feel if I'm only using my welder when other appliances aren't running, the panel, even a full one, can handle it. Hope one of these solutions help.
CONSISTENCY!!!!!! It's only a good thing if you're not a screw up.
tsmiley23
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:53 am

My welder buddy just uses a 110 ac wire welder and does beautiful work.
They are not horridly expensive and appear to be handy as the pocket on your shirt. You can weld anything from thin gage material to 1/4" stuff.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets