So you want to be a welder?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: So you want to be a welder?

Postby jonnyo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:28 pm

one option to look at if you want to get a mig welder is EASTWOOD. They back there product with a 30 days return it no question ask if you dont like it. 3 year warranty and there warranty service on about all there tools is first class....they replace it.

i got mine for 539$....it s a 220volt 175 amp...come with a spool gun to do aluminum and mig gun for steel. there is no other unit that match there price. it wont be on par in quality with Miller or Lincoln but it s a very decent machine that will do the job.

i had 2 certified welder come see my work and also try the machine and for working from your own garage...they said it s very good and incridible value for the price.

they have cheaper units...

i had to buy a 100$ tank of argon....and now i m learning to weld alumium.

As shadow catcher said....a course can be a good idea. For the big structural weld, have someone certified help you. And practice....practice...practice...
jonnyo
Teardrop Master

Postby eamarquardt » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:36 pm

working on it wrote: And Gus, I've already given up all my vices and pursuits.......................................

Gosh, you can't be having much fun.

Cheers,

Gus
The opinions in this post are my own. My comments are directed to those that might like an alternative approach to those already espoused.There is the right way,the wrong way,the USMC way, your way, my way, and the highway.
"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it." Klaatu-"The Day the Earth Stood Still"
"You can't handle the truth!"-Jack Nicholson "A Few Good Men"
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem"-Ronald Reagan
eamarquardt
Silver Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:01 pm

Looks like a good machine, but more than I'll probably need (of course, I might end up buying two or more eventually, like Gus said, or be so bad at it that I won't use it). Actually, I never quit trying once I fail at something...I never give up (except on marriage #1, chess- my D.A. brother beat me once, and Google Sketchup). I am still wondering if a small 110v MIG/Flux is what I need to begin with (with a 220v stick welder to come later, for structural metal), or go all out and try to convince the wife I need a $500 starter machine (like my friend has been trying to talk me into buying for years). I balk at starting big...I like to build up to things.
eamarquardt wrote:
working on it wrote: And Gus, I've already given up all my vices and pursuits.......................................

Gosh, you can't be having much fun.

Cheers,
Gus
Gus, I am willing to develop new pursuits and vices to replace the old...camping, Coleman, and DO's seem to be an addiction hereabouts! Maybe I'll be an addict too. Actually, I seem to be enjoying the build and after-build as much as anything I've done in a long time. The problem-solving and trying new ways to do things is my new hobby. I may have bitched about some aspects during the build, but once I thought I was finished, I missed it! I guess it has supplanted my car fetish, at least for the forsee-able future.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:30 pm

Your constant reference to over building is not reflected in the capability of the tool you are contemplating....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:20 am

Dale M. wrote:Your constant reference to over building is not reflected in the capability of the tool you are contemplating....

Dale

I'm trying to cut back on that habit....
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:16 am

IF you have not purchased a welder yet, you may be able to upgrade to higher level machine and still keeps costs down... Here is a Hobart Handler 140 for $100 under suggested retail...

http://www.hobartweldshop.com/servlet/t ... ers/Detail

And its a Hobart Factory Store, doubt if you can go wrong....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby working on it » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:13 pm

Dale M. wrote:IF you have not purchased a welder yet, you may be able to upgrade to higher level machine and still keeps costs down... Here is a Hobart Handler 140 for $100 under suggested retail...
http://www.hobartweldshop.com/servlet/t ... ers/Detail
And its a Hobart Factory Store, doubt if you can go wrong....
Dale

Guys- thanks for all your advice, I know that you know your stuff. As usual, I went another direction. I talked at great length with a fellow worker, who suggested that I try both the stick and the flux welders at my home, for what I needed to do, and see what I preferred under various situations (outdoors, and in the garage), before I committed to a really good machine. He also said that he still prefers the arc (and tig) to a flux/mig after years of using both. I agree with that idea, to try both types, at length, before (and if I get a good one). I asked him about the cheap Chinese welders as a "starter". Specifically the 200amp/230v Northern Industrial stick. He said he had one, as well as Lincolns' "Tombstone". He said that for the money, and my limited requirements, the Northern would be great. If I ended up liking the arc welding, then buy a "Red" or a "Blue" later. So, I got the Northern that day. For the $170+35=205(plus tax) I spent on it, I am warranteed for three years (on a get another one from Northern that day! basis). I had previously checked out a used Lincoln for $200, and another "returned" unit at Home Depot for $235; I had to pass on the appalling conditions of both. I'm also going to get the Northern Industrial 125 Flux welder second, and try that as well (110v only). I have plans to use either or both of these cheap welders around my in-laws ranch (they don't weld either) and once I get my "feet wet" in welding, and go big, I'll just use them there. I really have my eye set on the Hobart 210MVP eventually. But, right now, I just have the 230v arc...which I can't use (I shoulda checked it out better) until I upgrade my electrical, which is not ready (to my surprise). My thread on that oversight: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=58200 Meantime, I'll get the 125 Flux in a week or two, and make sparks (at 110v).
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:55 am

Cool... Buy I would avoid buying flux core MIG... Once you use it, you will wonder about dollars spent on stick machine....

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:18 pm

I'd not read this thread and bought this stick welder at half price. I'm not planning on any serious welding.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-24th-october/product-detail/ps/p/arc-welder/
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby working on it » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:50 pm

grantstew8 wrote:I'd not read this thread and bought this stick welder at half price. I'm not planning on any serious welding.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thursday-24th-october/product-detail/ps/p/arc-welder/

If I converted the currency correctly, you paid $65 USD for it, warranty and all. If it works just for a little while, and works fairly well, that's a good deal. No specs shown, but looks good to learn with. My wife shoulda got one for me...the less I spend on myself leaves more for her!
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby grantstew8 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:12 am

The exchange rate is about 1.5 and I paid half price £20 so about $30. Just as you said, I though it would be something I could learn with and if I got serious I'd probably need a new power supply before I could up the hardware.
Thanks!
grantstew8
The 300 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:27 pm

working on it wrote:...(from 12-3-13) I'm also going to get the Northern Industrial 125 Flux welder second, and try that as well (110v only). I have plans to use either or both of these cheap welders around my in-laws ranch (they don't weld either) and once I get my "feet wet" in welding, and go big, I'll just use them there. I really have my eye set on the Hobart 210MVP eventually. But, right now, I just have the 230v arc...which I can't use (I shoulda checked it out better) until I upgrade my electrical, which is not ready (to my surprise). My thread on that oversight: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=58200 Meantime, I'll get the 125 Flux in a week or two, and make sparks (at 110v).
Well, after waiting for my wife to get home from her out of the blue trip to NYC (and waiting for all the "hidden" travel costs and "must have" purchases to surface), and then waiting two more weeks to see if my hints to Santa (for the flux welder) would suffice, I found a)no huge overexpenditure in NYC, nor b)any gift under the tree for me either. After the "a/b" results were in, I decided to be my own Santa, and gifted myself the Northern 125 Flux Welder ($129.99 one year warranteed + 34.99 two year extension),as I had stated before.
northern 125.jpg
northern 125.jpg (31.47 KiB) Viewed 18842 times
I should feel bad about buying myself two toys in one month, but I don't. Tried it out on the only two pieces of scrap I had (and not ear-marked for future use)...1/8" and 3/16" flat pieces of galvanized steel. Discouraging, sputtering, fuming results at first. Then, I got the feed speed right, and made a couple of lines of practice welds. My first. This is going to be a learning curve type of thing, and like my friends have told me, avoid galvanized steel (none of them will use it). I tried to avoid the fumes, and a stiff breeze helped; I used my auto-darkening helmet, but the combination of a bright outdoor sun and the arc turned the shade too dark for me to see thru (I'll have to figure out the best helmet/shade adjustment, or get a lower number plate). Much like most other things in my experience (at least the ones I wanted to do, and had difficulty doing at first), I will acquire the skill through practice and perseverance (that's my credo, and I'm sticking to it).
Last edited by working on it on Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CARS » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:14 am

Your friends are right. Don't use gal. metal for practicing. It's horrible enough when you HAVE to weld that crap.

Your breeze idea also made your shielding blow away from the weld puddle.

Get some clean mild steal and keep practicing!
Chris'
Autobody
Restoration
Service

CARS
The 300 Club

Postby working on it » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:39 pm

working on it wrote:from 12-28-13 ...pieces of galvanized steel. Discouraging, sputtering, fuming results at first. Then, I got the feed speed right, and made a couple of lines of practice welds. My first. This is going to be a learning curve type of thing, and like my friends have told me, avoid galvanized steel (none of them will use it). I tried to avoid the fumes, and a stiff breeze helped; I used my auto-darkening helmet, but the combination of a bright outdoor sun and the arc turned the shade too dark for me to see thru (I'll have to figure out the best helmet/shade adjustment, or get a lower number plate). Much like most other things in my experience (at least the ones I wanted to do, and had difficulty doing at first), I will acquire the skill through practice and perseverance (that's my credo, and I'm sticking to it).
After reading this response from CARS,
CARS wrote:Your friends are right. Don't use gal. metal for practicing. It's horrible enough when you HAVE to weld that crap.Your breeze idea also made your shielding blow away from the weld puddle.Get some clean mild steal and keep practicing!
I figured I would make some progress if I followed his advice. I guess not (since I tried the same, expecting different results). Tried the flux welder again today, again on galvanized steel (pipe fittings this time), plus coated ? mild steel, and a heavily chromed trailer ball. AGAIN windy, but I adjusted the helmet shade where I could almost see OK. The project: piddling around with spare 4x4 treated wood, steel, pipe fittings, and a trailer ball I had bought 25 years ago (for a S-10 I had, to tow a trailer-and boat-I never got) to piece together a makeshift towbar (pusher bar) to move my TTT in and out of the garage. Had a wild hair(hare?) caught in my head to see if I could build a quick-disconnect pushbar out of scraps I had on hand, and a whole afternoon of decent weather to try it. So I did. The almost finished piece needed welding to secure the ball to the pipe and the pipe to the strapping (and the strapping screwed to the wood, and the hipbone to the....and so on). Well anyway, after last time's galvanizing experience, I tried to grind off the zinc from the pipe, and also the outer chrome from the ball (really thick, made in America back then...) so I could perhaps successfully weld them together. The fumes weren't so bad this time, but the lack of practice and trying to finish in the twilight yielded the same unsatisfactory results. Since I could at least almost see the items (as I was welding), I was able to actually get some penetration into the steel, and the welds held after I tested them with my BFH, I consider today's effort a minor success. Lots of spatter, uneven spotting, and I never could keep the right distance from the work nor my feed constant. Also, though I shoulda done so, I didn't prepare the mild steel at all (had some type of coating, and I had no degreaser), so it wasn't easy to weld either. Total weld practice time now= 30 minutes. Time needed to become proficient= lots more! No time to clean up the finished piece, since it was becoming dark, and I now had a headache (allergies + zinc fumes; who knows?), so here is a pic of the un-chipped, un-cleaned, un-ground welds on my experimental pushbar:
20140111_185722.jpg
20140111_185722.jpg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 18652 times
I'll clean it up and grind it down next weekend, to see if it can be usable. Gonna be a long learning curve.
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:30 am

IF you are learning, get some clean metal of like kinds and practice.... Using metals with lots of variation and weird surface coating ls will almost be impossible learn to weld let alone getting penetration and clean weld that do not need lots of clean up to look good....

Find a good welding forum and take your experiences there and let experts help you...

Since I went with Hobart this is where I hang out....

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/f ... re-Welders

Dale

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets