Mounted the axle wrong.

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Mounted the axle wrong.

Postby oohahh » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:11 am

Dang it. The axle is only 20% from the back, not 35-40% like it's supposed to be. :disappointed:

What basically happened is that I found the point for the rear spring hanger and welded the front spring hanger there instead. And put the rear hanger too far back.

So here's my question: can I reuse the front hangers as rear hangers and just weld on a new set of rear hangers in the forward position?

<-- front
o_---====---u

and instead make it:

u---====---o_

key:
u : rear hanger
o_ : front hanger
---====--- : spring

Option B: to cut off the hangers and mount entirely new ones.

Option C: leave em and just mount new hangers a little off that ideal position but in the correct configuration.

What do y'all think?
oohahh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mark Freedom » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:14 am

A ziz wheel will pop that hanger right back off of there, then you can put it where you want it ;)
~ Mark
Mark Freedom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby oohahh » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:22 am

Mark Freedom wrote:A ziz wheel will pop that hanger right back off of there, then you can put it where you want it ;)

Is that a type of angle grinder wheel? My internet searches aren't finding much.
oohahh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:28 am

...if you have an 4.5" angle grinder (15 bucks at HF) and some flat/thin cutting wheels you can cut the welds and take 'em right off...they can probably be reused at this point...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby oohahh » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:37 am

Fantastic, I should have it all popped off and ready for remounting tomorrow. Thanks, guys.
oohahh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mark Freedom » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:12 am

oohahh wrote:
Mark Freedom wrote:A ziz wheel will pop that hanger right back off of there, then you can put it where you want it ;)

Is that a type of angle grinder wheel? My internet searches aren't finding much.

Some people call them cutting discs too, I believe they are 3/16 in thickness and maybe even come in an 1/8, it's been a while since I ordered any.
I use them on a die grinder, but like Madjack said they will also work on a angle grinder.
They're a bit harder to use on an angle grinder because of it's bulk, but you could still get the job done.
Then you just cut the bead back out without any damage to your frame.

this will give you a general idea of them
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisear ... &Submit=Go
~ Mark
Mark Freedom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby oohahh » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:13 am

Oh, sure. Yeah, I've got two angle grinders. I keep a wire cup on one and cutting or grinding wheels on the other. Guess I got excited about the Ziz part thinking that I'd only ever used HF cutting disks and if Ziz was a good brand...

Sure, the HF ones do the job, but I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a brand that performed better; was thinner, faster, harder; what have you.

Just like drill bits. I've got a bunch of different brands around. The Dewalt ones are by far the best. Definitely a case of getting what you pay for.
oohahh
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mark Freedom » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:52 am

Mcmaster carr is where I get all my discs, I've never tried the harbor freight stuff.
Mcmaster's are high quality.

ziz wheels are just what people call them, I'm not aware of a "ziz" brand ;)

I built industrial machines for many years and that's just what everyone in the fab business called them, probably because what they sound like when used in a die grinder. ;)
~ Mark
Mark Freedom
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets