Rebuilding an axle/springs for better ride

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Rebuilding an axle/springs for better ride

Postby 48Rob » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:00 am

Thanks Jim,

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby dustboy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:34 pm

One of these days I'll get around to the spring rebuild detailed above. Meantime, we are going on a longer trip in a few weeks and my suspension is squeaking like crazy. Can anyone recommend a good lubricant that can be sprayed on the springs/pivots to quiet the ride a bit? My pivots don't seem to be greasable without full disassembly.
dustboy
Teardrop Master

Postby 48Rob » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:14 am

Most spring eyes, if they don't have wet bolts to grease them with, employ nylon bushings (very thin sleeves) that wear very fast.
It isn't hard to change them, but any spray grease would help for a while.
If you jack the trailer up a little from the rear, the leaves will separate a bit and you can shoot some grease between them also.
The last 3" of each spring is the part that needs the lubrication.

While you are doing all this, it is wise to closely inspect the bolts and shackles, especially the inside surface of the shackles, and spring eyes as when the lube dries up, or nylon wears out, metal on metal wear occurs quickly. I've seen spring eyes and bolts and shackles half or more worn through from friction.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby badgerkeeb » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:54 pm

Well Rob. Your advise lives on. I had just bought a 6.5ftx10ft trailer and have to rebuild the leaf springs. :NC I was nervous about it but now not so much. :thinking: I'm thinking this will be a piece of cake. Thanks for the write up. :applause:
badgerkeeb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 48Rob » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:28 pm

Badger,

You can do it!
Just a bunch of rusty metal clamped together :)

Rob
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby gudmund » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks for the leaf spring info web-site. About a year ago I bought a can of WD-40 spray Gel-Lubricant not knowing what it ready was. Well, after trying it on a few items, kind of wondered what I would be using it for. Well, March of this year I bought a new tear which has leaf-springs and after reading your article, I jacked up the trailer today re-greasing the bearing and what a deal - this WD-40 Gel-Lub spray worked GREAT !! :thumbsup: with the WD-40 spray tube applicator, the 'gelled' grease lub went right where I wanted it to go thus leaving a grease film where it should be - between the leafs. :applause: take care and again, thank you.
gudmund
500 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets