Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:36 pm

HF 's do no come with shocks

do any of you have them added? :thinking:

and if so how did you do it?
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:52 pm

Ron Dickey wrote:4 Pin Plug that comes with Trailer

The Connection that is supplied with the trailer for the lights is smaller then what you use in the US.

If you use this connection plug (suppled)

you may not be able to barrow or rent other trailers your plug is smaller and pins are closer together.

even your inline plug tester will not work. Image

It does not come with LED lights so it is more worth the buck to go to wally Mart or trailer store and buy a LED set for around 35 bucks. (I read the walmart submersible ones get wet inside on the walmart site)
it might be worth getting submersible lights just in case on that odd moment when you might wish you had.

And you will not have a small plug too.

Maybe they're different now, but my 7-year old HF trailer connector fits fine with the connector on my Ford F-150 and Honda CR-V.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby wingloader » Mon May 13, 2013 9:38 am

I called HF to get a spare hub for the 1740# trailer. The rep asked me for a part number. I don't see an actual part number in the trailer manual.

Does anyone know how to go about getting the person on the other end of the line to find out what you are trying to order? Do I give her the part number for the Trailer?

Thanks,
Joe

:thinking:
It takes a big man to cry, and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.
--jack handy
wingloader
Donating Member

Postby wingloader » Mon May 13, 2013 10:37 am

Just got off the phone with HF. I order the hub and two bearings. I tried to see if the entire thing came as an assembly as it did in the original box, but they sold it to me in pieces. That's fine with me, as long as I get the parts. I will probably go pick up another bearing seal from Napa as per the posts above.

:thumbsup:
--jack handy
wingloader
Donating Member

Postby IslandStorm62 » Tue May 28, 2013 11:49 am

I'm a little confused about his HF Bearing seal. I just bought a HF 1720 Lbs Capacity Trailer, and having inventory and read through most of the manual, there was no mention of a bearing seal. Based on the assembly instruction, the bearing goes into the hub, then there is the "20 Flat Washer" followed by the Castle nut and cotter pin? I have not yet pulled out the bearings to clean them and repack them with grease. Did I miss something with regards to the bearing seal?
IslandStorm62
Teardrop Advisor

Postby wingloader » Tue May 28, 2013 12:21 pm

IslandStorm62 wrote:I'm a little confused about his HF Bearing seal. I just bought a HF 1720 Lbs Capacity Trailer, and having inventory and read through most of the manual, there was no mention of a bearing seal. Based on the assembly instruction, the bearing goes into the hub, then there is the "20 Flat Washer" followed by the Castle nut and cotter pin? I have not yet pulled out the bearings to clean them and repack them with grease. Did I miss something with regards to the bearing seal?

Yea, I noticed that too. The diagram makes no reference to the bearing seal. on the inboard side of the hub, there is a little plastic plug that is supposed to "grip" around the axle shaft to keep grease in and dirt out. It is a bit$# to remove without destroying it in my opinion. I actually destroyed one of them when I took the hub apart to clean and grease it.

I just received my box 'o parts for my spare hub. Unfortunately, it is COMPLETELY unassembled. I don't know what you call them, but I have to install the bearing "rings" that go inside the hub. I will read the forum to see if someone knows how this is done. Or, I could call my dad who is a retired mechanic. :-)

When I called the 1-800 number to order the parts for the spare hub, the seal wasn't on the diagram so guess what...I didn't order it! I didn't realize it until I received the box of stuff. I am going to buy another seal from Napa. I found the perfect part number on the forum which I used to replace the one I destroyed. It is Napa part number 12745. Thank you "nobody" for getting that figured out! FYI, "nobody" is the username of the guy who researched and found the correct seal from Napa.

Joe
--jack handy
wingloader
Donating Member

Postby IslandStorm62 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:35 pm

wingloader wrote:
When I called the 1-800 number to order the parts for the spare hub, the seal wasn't on the diagram so guess what...I didn't order it! I didn't realize it until I received the box of stuff. I am going to buy another seal from Napa. I found the perfect part number on the forum which I used to replace the one I destroyed. It is Napa part number 12745. Thank you "nobody" for getting that figured out! FYI, "nobody" is the username of the guy who researched and found the correct seal from Napa.

Joe

Thanks, I guess I'll have to start tracking this part number.
IslandStorm62
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:40 pm

I was reading under General Discussion and a leaf spring broke on a trailer the leaves were made in China. They offer a site about the U joint that holds the spings to the axel and in it they said that the nuts holding the U down should be these

as I remember most the nuts used were these

I remember one of the nuts that plastic ring fell out, I did not use that one but it stuck in my mind. and I just checked and that is all that is holding it on .... the send nut.

Has anyone had problems with springs braking on their trailer or the nuts not holding?? :NC

I talked to the RV place where I bought most of my parts for my last trailer and they suggested that maybe when I got the trailer done they could measure the present axel and get me a better one for around 200 bucks Which I just might do.

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:07 pm

slowcowboy wrote:easy ron. just weld on a large bolt to your spring u bolts plate and then put on a monroe 12 inch gas shock. then eye fit it to the side of the frame and drill a hole though the frame and another bolt and get it set at kinda a 45 degrea angle. it works real slick. I shemed mine up with some pieces of plate steel to square up the c channel on the harbor freight frame.

would add photos but its 2 am in the moring and I am not in the mood.

slow

I am trying to picture it but I do understand .... if you find yourself on your back under the trailer shoot me a shot.... but my guess is if you are under the trailer it is to fix something and then again will not be in the mood. :D
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:50 pm

you have the shots already in your gallery
61538 61537
61536 61535

now I will have to reread what you said

Slow thanks
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:55 pm

hmmmm
Slow you put your springs below the axel I put them above I think that just means mine rides higher.
How does the shock attach at the bottom? :thinking:
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:42 am

found an old poll by Mike 2004

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=846
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby fartblossom » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:34 am

Just wondering, how many of you with a harbor freight trailer moved the wheels back and if so, by how much?
My build thread
viewtopic.php?t=55238
fartblossom
Teardrop Advisor

Postby mikeschn » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:52 am

Almost everyone needs to move the wheels back, other wise your tongue will be too light. Moving the wheels is no big deal. Get a 7/16" drill bit, and drill a few holes!

Mike...

P.S. Good find Ron! And maybe we should update that poll... Yea, click here! viewtopic.php?p=1052983#p1052983
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:49 am

I rebuilt ,reinforced and lengthened the rather anemic stock tongue and simply chose to move the body forward rather than moving the wheel placement, This still gave me the 60 / 40 weight distribution I wanted.

( 65 / 35 would have been even better)
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets