Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby RetroGlyph » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:31 am

Hello one and all. This is my first question...

I am considering buying one of the Harbor Freight 96" x 48" trailers as the platform for my first build. I have read so much on this site and others about their quality, but still likely to proceed.

This question has to do with the difference between the 1195 lb capacity heavy duty folding trailer(http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-ca ... 90154.html) and the 1720 lb capacity super duty trailer(http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 94564.html). Does anyone know definitively what the difference is between the two that allows the super duty to carry 525 lbs more than the heavy duty? Heavier axle? Heavier, more sturdy material? Oddly, the folding heavy duty weighs 253 lbs and the super duty weighs 260 lbs... Wow, the super duty weighs just 7 lbs more, yet can handle over 500 lb more... The HF site shows that the heavy duty includes the 4.8 x 12" tires. The super duty is also shown to carry 12" tires, but the width is not shown on the site. HF does carry both 4.8 x 12" replacement tires AND 5.3 x 12" replacement tires, so maybe the super duty ships with these wider tires. Would that make enough of a difference to allow over 500 lbs more capacity? Could it be that the folding mechanism itself on the heavy duty trailer contributes to why it is rated at a lower capacity?

Anyway, just wondered if anyone knows for sure what the differences are between the two and what really contributes to the difference in capacity.

Thank you one and all. Thoughts, knowledge and wisdom are appreciated...

Steve ... Retroglyph
RetroGlyph
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ssrjim » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:44 am

RetroGlyph wrote:Hello one and all. This is my first question...

I am considering buying one of the Harbor Freight 96" x 48" trailers as the platform for my first build. I have read so much on this site and others about their quality, but still likely to proceed.

This question has to do with the difference between the 1195 lb capacity heavy duty folding trailer(http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-ca ... 90154.html) and the 1720 lb capacity super duty trailer(http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 94564.html). Does anyone know definitively what the difference is between the two that allows the super duty to carry 525 lbs more than the heavy duty? Heavier axle? Heavier, more sturdy material? Oddly, the folding heavy duty weighs 253 lbs and the super duty weighs 260 lbs... Wow, the super duty weighs just 7 lbs more, yet can handle over 500 lb more... The HF site shows that the heavy duty includes the 4.8 x 12" tires. The super duty is also shown to carry 12" tires, but the width is not shown on the site. HF does carry both 4.8 x 12" replacement tires AND 5.3 x 12" replacement tires, so maybe the super duty ships with these wider tires. Would that make enough of a difference to allow over 500 lbs more capacity? Could it be that the folding mechanism itself on the heavy duty trailer contributes to why it is rated at a lower capacity?

Anyway, just wondered if anyone knows for sure what the differences are between the two and what really contributes to the difference in capacity.

Thank you one and all. Thoughts, knowledge and wisdom are appreciated...

Steve ... Retroglyph

I think you answer you own question. The folding has to be two sections with a hinge connecting them, where as the stronger is one piece when bolted together. The hinge has to be the weak link.
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:56 am

The "Super Duty" 1720 capacity model has higher capacity springs and comes with the 5.30x12 tires (at least mine did). A 4.80" typically has a slightly lower capacity per tire than the 5.30".

The shipping weight difference between the two kits is due to the additional folding hardware required by the "Heavy Duty" 1195lb capacity trailer. The 1720lb model also has a larger 2" coupler, as opposed to the 1-7/8" coupler on the folding trailer kit.

I believe the tongue and crossmembers on the 1195lb "Super Duty" are only U-channel, whereas the 1720lb model utilizes stronger C-channel for the tongue and crossmembers.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby RetroGlyph » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:41 pm

oh my goodness. I didn't realize that I had gotten not just one, but two replies. Thank you both for taking the time to provide answers. It is much appreciated.
Thanks again.

Steve
RetroGlyph
Teardrop Inspector

Postby z50king » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 pm

What is the tongue / coupler height of the folding 4x8 trailer? I cannot find it anywhere. The hf site says 23 inches tall, but i am guessing that is overall height
z50king
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jseyfert3 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:18 am

My 1720 lb non folding trailer is close to 23" height overall unloaded. Subtract the height of the frame, about 3.25" and 19.75" sounds pretty close to the coupler height. (Top of coupler) Not sure how close that is to the folding trailer(s).

Also note that there are two HF folding trailer models. One has a 900 lb capacity and has 8" tires, the other is 1200 lb capacity and 12" tires. Which folding trailer are you talking about?
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby z50king » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:33 am

jseyfert3 wrote:My 1720 lb non folding trailer is close to 23" height overall unloaded. Subtract the height of the frame, about 3.25" and 19.75" sounds pretty close to the coupler height. (Top of coupler) Not sure how close that is to the folding trailer(s).

Also note that there are two HF folding trailer models. One has a 900 lb capacity and has 8" tires, the other is 1200 lb capacity and 12" tires. Which folding trailer are you talking about?

Sorry about that, I am asking about the 1195 pound folding trailer. Your 1720 pound has slightly larger tires, right? 12x5.3?

Also, does anyone put swivel jacks on the front? Do you use the wheel or the plate type?
z50king
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:41 am

I modified the tongue on my HF 1720 (box said 1800# when I bought it in 2006) to add several inches to its length (for building a 114" cabin on the 4x8 chassis). Also mounted a 'swing away' tongue jack w/wheel which I've used ever since. The current height of my coupler (inside) is approx 17". Without the tongue mod it would be approx 2 1/2" higher or 19 1/2". My tires are 530x12 & I have added a 1" 'lift block' between the axle & the springs. Height from ground to top of chassis is approx 20 1/4" since the chassis rails are 3" high & sit on top of the tongue 'A' frame. I think the height of 23" would be to the top of the fenders as they extend about 3" above the chassis when installed (I didn't use 'em). I do have BAL type stabilizers one all 4 corners of the TD so the tongue jack isn't required to support much 'static' weight (which I think it would do easily, it has 800# rating) but I've used it to re-position the TD numerous times on dirt, gravel, & paved surfaces, with no problems. Once I failed to complete my pre-departure 'checklist' & towed the TD approx a mile (slowly) with the tongue jack in down position and wheel only partially retracted. Couldn't figure out what 'that noise' was as I crossed some 'rough' spots :oops: . Finally stopped, finished raising the wheel, & 'swung' the jack up. No damage except to my pride :thumbsup:

Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:01 pm

For the 4x8 trailer kits.... can anyone confirm that the center of spring perches on the axle is 46.5", and the hub face is 55.5"?
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:14 am

On my year 2006 HF 1720# 4x8 Zach, axle perch C to C is 46.5" (give or take an eighth). Hub face to hub face is 56.5" (approx).
Harvey -

Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:00 am

Thanks Harvey. I forgot to measure when I got home last night.

I was looking for a replacement axle with the same spring centers and hub face, but with brake flanges. Doesn't look like they exist.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:17 pm

with all this bolting together on painted parts is there any problem with grounding the electric?

I am thinking of running a ground wire along each side so common becomes more common. Drilling in sheet metal screws with wrapping each screw with a bare copper wire.

any thoughts??

Ron
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:26 pm

I would forget trying to make the chassis a continuous ground and run each and every DC device with it's own ground wire. That way you know each device is grounded. Fewer headaches in the long run.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:14 am

MtnDon wrote:I would forget trying to make the chassis a continuous ground and run each and every DC device with it's own ground wire. That way you know each device is grounded. Fewer headaches in the long run.

No better advice ever given !

Take it one step further and hard wire a ground back to the tow vehicle. I use a large alligator clamp from the trailer ground block to the frame of the tow vehicle. Never have had a lighting problem.

Can I take that back. I found the ground on the HF taillights to be poor at best I wound up placing a ground wire around the brass barrel of the bulb holder and attached it with a mini clamp to fix this minor aggravation.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Nobody » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:08 am

EVERY light on my TD (tail/stop/signal, & running lights) has an individual, dedicated ground wire, connected to a common ground wire of sufficient size. The 'common' wire goes thru the 7-pin electrical connector to another ground wire which is fastened to the vehicle chassis with at least a #12 or larger screw with 'star' type washer between the chassis & the wire lug, & another between the lug & the screw head. Redundant?? perhaps but I've NEVER had (& don't expect) a ground problem with this trailer. I still do a 'walk around' light check each time I 'hook up'.

All the interior & galley lights & 12vdc receptacles on the trailer also have individual ground wires that go (thru a common ground wire) to a ground 'buss' at the power converter, which is also connected to the trailer battery ground.

May have taken a little extra effort, & cost a few (very) dollars more when building but knowing the lights will work all the time, every time, is worth a lot to me...
Harvey -

Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets