Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby bobhenry » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:49 am

I rebuilt ,reinforced and lengthened the rather anemic stock tongue and simply chose to move the body forward rather than moving the wheel placement, This still gave me the 60 / 40 weight distribution I wanted.

( 65 / 35 would have been even better)
Growing older but not up !
User avatar
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club
 
Posts: 9863
Images: 2273
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:49 am
Location: INDIANA, LINDEN

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby RetroGlyph » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:31 am

Hello one and all. This is my first question...

I am considering buying one of the Harbor Freight 96" x 48" trailers as the platform for my first build. I have read so much on this site and others about their quality, but still likely to proceed.

This question has to do with the difference between the 1195 lb capacity heavy duty folding trailer(http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-ca ... 90154.html) and the 1720 lb capacity super duty trailer(http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 94564.html). Does anyone know definitively what the difference is between the two that allows the super duty to carry 525 lbs more than the heavy duty? Heavier axle? Heavier, more sturdy material? Oddly, the folding heavy duty weighs 253 lbs and the super duty weighs 260 lbs... Wow, the super duty weighs just 7 lbs more, yet can handle over 500 lb more... The HF site shows that the heavy duty includes the 4.8 x 12" tires. The super duty is also shown to carry 12" tires, but the width is not shown on the site. HF does carry both 4.8 x 12" replacement tires AND 5.3 x 12" replacement tires, so maybe the super duty ships with these wider tires. Would that make enough of a difference to allow over 500 lbs more capacity? Could it be that the folding mechanism itself on the heavy duty trailer contributes to why it is rated at a lower capacity?

Anyway, just wondered if anyone knows for sure what the differences are between the two and what really contributes to the difference in capacity.

Thank you one and all. Thoughts, knowledge and wisdom are appreciated...

Steve ... Retroglyph
RetroGlyph
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 5
Images: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:24 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby ssrjim » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:44 am

RetroGlyph wrote:Hello one and all. This is my first question...

I am considering buying one of the Harbor Freight 96" x 48" trailers as the platform for my first build. I have read so much on this site and others about their quality, but still likely to proceed.

This question has to do with the difference between the 1195 lb capacity heavy duty folding trailer(http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb-ca ... 90154.html) and the 1720 lb capacity super duty trailer(http://www.harborfreight.com/automotive ... 94564.html). Does anyone know definitively what the difference is between the two that allows the super duty to carry 525 lbs more than the heavy duty? Heavier axle? Heavier, more sturdy material? Oddly, the folding heavy duty weighs 253 lbs and the super duty weighs 260 lbs... Wow, the super duty weighs just 7 lbs more, yet can handle over 500 lb more... The HF site shows that the heavy duty includes the 4.8 x 12" tires. The super duty is also shown to carry 12" tires, but the width is not shown on the site. HF does carry both 4.8 x 12" replacement tires AND 5.3 x 12" replacement tires, so maybe the super duty ships with these wider tires. Would that make enough of a difference to allow over 500 lbs more capacity? Could it be that the folding mechanism itself on the heavy duty trailer contributes to why it is rated at a lower capacity?

Anyway, just wondered if anyone knows for sure what the differences are between the two and what really contributes to the difference in capacity.

Thank you one and all. Thoughts, knowledge and wisdom are appreciated...

Steve ... Retroglyph


I think you answer you own question. The folding has to be two sections with a hinge connecting them, where as the stronger is one piece when bolted together. The hinge has to be the weak link.
93079
User avatar
ssrjim
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1151
Images: 12
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:02 pm
Location: Glendale, az
Top

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:56 am

The "Super Duty" 1720 capacity model has higher capacity springs and comes with the 5.30x12 tires (at least mine did). A 4.80" typically has a slightly lower capacity per tire than the 5.30".

The shipping weight difference between the two kits is due to the additional folding hardware required by the "Heavy Duty" 1195lb capacity trailer. The 1720lb model also has a larger 2" coupler, as opposed to the 1-7/8" coupler on the folding trailer kit.

I believe the tongue and crossmembers on the 1195lb "Super Duty" are only U-channel, whereas the 1720lb model utilizes stronger C-channel for the tongue and crossmembers.
User avatar
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member
 
Posts: 2553
Images: 365
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Hanover, PA
Top

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby RetroGlyph » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:41 pm

oh my goodness. I didn't realize that I had gotten not just one, but two replies. Thank you both for taking the time to provide answers. It is much appreciated.
Thanks again.

Steve
RetroGlyph
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 5
Images: 6
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:24 pm
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Top

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby z50king » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:06 pm

What is the tongue / coupler height of the folding 4x8 trailer? I cannot find it anywhere. The hf site says 23 inches tall, but i am guessing that is overall height
z50king
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:30 pm
Top

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby jseyfert3 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:18 am

My 1720 lb non folding trailer is close to 23" height overall unloaded. Subtract the height of the frame, about 3.25" and 19.75" sounds pretty close to the coupler height. (Top of coupler) Not sure how close that is to the folding trailer(s).

Also note that there are two HF folding trailer models. One has a 900 lb capacity and has 8" tires, the other is 1200 lb capacity and 12" tires. Which folding trailer are you talking about?
User avatar
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master
 
Posts: 285
Images: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:13 am
Location: Peoria, IL, USA
Top

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby z50king » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:33 am

jseyfert3 wrote:My 1720 lb non folding trailer is close to 23" height overall unloaded. Subtract the height of the frame, about 3.25" and 19.75" sounds pretty close to the coupler height. (Top of coupler) Not sure how close that is to the folding trailer(s).

Also note that there are two HF folding trailer models. One has a 900 lb capacity and has 8" tires, the other is 1200 lb capacity and 12" tires. Which folding trailer are you talking about?


Sorry about that, I am asking about the 1195 pound folding trailer. Your 1720 pound has slightly larger tires, right? 12x5.3?

Also, does anyone put swivel jacks on the front? Do you use the wheel or the plate type?
z50king
Teardrop Inspector
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:30 pm
Top

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:41 am

I modified the tongue on my HF 1720 (box said 1800# when I bought it in 2006) to add several inches to its length (for building a 114" cabin on the 4x8 chassis). Also mounted a 'swing away' tongue jack w/wheel which I've used ever since. The current height of my coupler (inside) is approx 17". Without the tongue mod it would be approx 2 1/2" higher or 19 1/2". My tires are 530x12 & I have added a 1" 'lift block' between the axle & the springs. Height from ground to top of chassis is approx 20 1/4" since the chassis rails are 3" high & sit on top of the tongue 'A' frame. I think the height of 23" would be to the top of the fenders as they extend about 3" above the chassis when installed (I didn't use 'em). I do have BAL type stabilizers one all 4 corners of the TD so the tongue jack isn't required to support much 'static' weight (which I think it would do easily, it has 800# rating) but I've used it to re-position the TD numerous times on dirt, gravel, & paved surfaces, with no problems. Once I failed to complete my pre-departure 'checklist' & towed the TD approx a mile (slowly) with the tongue jack in down position and wheel only partially retracted. Couldn't figure out what 'that noise' was as I crossed some 'rough' spots :oops: . Finally stopped, finished raising the wheel, & 'swung' the jack up. No damage except to my pride :thumbsup:

Image
Image
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
User avatar
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1197
Images: 342
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Top

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:01 pm

For the 4x8 trailer kits.... can anyone confirm that the center of spring perches on the axle is 46.5", and the hub face is 55.5"?
User avatar
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member
 
Posts: 2553
Images: 365
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Hanover, PA
Top

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby Nobody » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:14 am

On my year 2006 HF 1720# 4x8 Zach, axle perch C to C is 46.5" (give or take an eighth). Hub face to hub face is 56.5" (approx).
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
User avatar
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1197
Images: 342
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: Benton, Arkansas
Top

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:00 am

Thanks Harvey. I forgot to measure when I got home last night.

I was looking for a replacement axle with the same spring centers and hub face, but with brake flanges. Doesn't look like they exist.
User avatar
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member
 
Posts: 2553
Images: 365
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Hanover, PA
Top

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:17 pm

with all this bolting together on painted parts is there any problem with grounding the electric?

I am thinking of running a ground wire along each side so common becomes more common. Drilling in sheet metal screws with wrapping each screw with a bare copper wire.

any thoughts??

Ron
121377.............134179.........134805
both side walls are up...cabinet needs stain.......ongoing 2.5 yr bld build as i find time..... Cross Bow in Build Journals....viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
User avatar
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member
 
Posts: 2927
Images: 701
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:56 pm
Location: Central Coast, CA
Top

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby MtnDon » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:26 pm

I would forget trying to make the chassis a continuous ground and run each and every DC device with it's own ground wire. That way you know each device is grounded. Fewer headaches in the long run.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
User avatar
MtnDon
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1938
Images: 6
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:57 pm
Location: New Mexico
Top

Re: Harbor Freight trailer questions and answers

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:14 am

MtnDon wrote:I would forget trying to make the chassis a continuous ground and run each and every DC device with it's own ground wire. That way you know each device is grounded. Fewer headaches in the long run.


No better advice ever given !

Take it one step further and hard wire a ground back to the tow vehicle. I use a large alligator clamp from the trailer ground block to the frame of the tow vehicle. Never have had a lighting problem.

Can I take that back. I found the ground on the HF taillights to be poor at best I wound up placing a ground wire around the brass barrel of the bulb holder and attached it with a mini clamp to fix this minor aggravation.
Growing older but not up !
User avatar
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club
 
Posts: 9863
Images: 2273
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:49 am
Location: INDIANA, LINDEN
Top

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests