My Experience with Timbren Axless system (kayakdlk)

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: My Experience with Timbren Axless system (kayakdlk)

Postby capnTelescope » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:56 pm

Since this discussion, which led me to go Timbren, I have put on about 20K miles on the trailer. Here's a couple of my thoughts:

kayakdlk wrote:Hers is a picture of the completed frame with axle and tires

[img]

Pay attention to the frame section near the axle. This area needs strength. I'd suggest a crossmember before and aft, near the axle assembly, plus the 2x2 that Timbren made a hole for.

My trailer weighs 1820# with bicycle & carrier. Don't necessarily go for the 3500# HD, just because it's only a few bucks more than the 2000#, unless you are sure you need the heavier axle. I made that mistake, and it was obvious that the trailer was riding hard. Changing from trailer tires to passenger car radials helped quite a bit, but I ended up replacing the 3500# rubber spring with the 2000# ones.

I recommend this axle. The installation is easy enough and hard to get wrong. Timbren's customer service is also good. A fine product.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImage

My Build
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

My Experience with Timbren Axless system (kayakdlk)

Postby Dave Nathanson » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:15 am

When it comes time to weld the 2x2 cross bar tube ends (connecting left & right suspensions), how will you avoid melting the rubber springs? I guess you'll need to remove them before welding?

Dave Nathanson & Louise's Adventures
http://td.roughwheelers.com
Dave Nathanson
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:11 pm

Dave Nathanson wrote:When it comes time to weld the 2x2 cross bar tube ends (connecting left & right suspensions), how will you avoid melting the rubber springs? I guess you'll need to remove them before welding?

Based on my experience, you don't need to worry. There's plenty of steel to absorb the heat between the tube ends and the rubber springs. I welded without removing and had no problems or burnt rubber smells. :thumbsup:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImage

My Build
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Dave Nathanson » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:37 am

Well, I bought the Timbren Axle-less suspension system. When drove the very empty trailer over to Baja Custom Trailers in Gardena, CA it bounced like a rubber ball all the way there. BUT when I drove it home with the new Timbren suspension, it was smooth! No bouncing! Such a difference! I think the whole trailer will last longer now that I am not pounding it like that.

Despite my best measuring efforts and a call to Timbren to ask about ride height, the end result was about 2 1/2 inches lower than it was. That is with the straight spindle. I had to buy a set of the 4 inch drop/lift spindles and those are going in soon. This time I measured 4x as much as I did the first time, and even ran the TD up on 4" wooden blocks to see how it would look. Yup! We want that 4" to get the galley counter back up where it goes, and so we don't knock our heads on the open Galley lid.

I will say that I bought the ASR1THDS02 which is the TImbren axle-less suspension; 3500# rated metal, with the 1500# spring (soft), straight spindle, & longer spindle offset for wide offroad tires (8.5"), then they down rate it to 2000# for offroad use. It is far more heavy duty than I expected, it is a beast. I seriously doubt I can break it. Timbren said the rubber "springs" will last more or less forever. Sort of expensive, (especially since I got the wrong spindle the first time) but looks like a killer upgrade that will have benefits for many years to come.

I'll have a full write up of the TImbren suspension pretty soon.

146857 146858 146859 146860 146856
Dave Nathanson
Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Just want to resurrect an old thread to say how much I appreciate the thorough and thoughtful write-ups in this thread. I'll be springing for my first Timbren suspension soon, and this really helps iron out the wrinkles.
Andrew Herrick
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets