Do I need bigger tires for a foamie?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Do I need bigger tires for a foamie?

Postby TPMcGinty » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Krusty wrote:The reason I was looking at 4 lug wheels is because the current trailer has 4 lug wheels. I figured I could keep the same hubs and wheels while building, then throw on some slightly larger wheels and keep the smaller ones as spares when I actually start taking it out on road trips.

am I correct in assuming I can use my current wheel hubs and wheels on a dexter axle? What If I wanted to install brakes? Would I need entirely new hubs to be able to use brakes?

Honestly, if you want to do all that I would recommend selling the trailer you have and having someone building a custom trailer for you. It will probably make you feel better. That being said, I have a cheap Northern Tools utility trailer that everyone in this thread is saying causes so many problems, can only be used at low speeds and driven short distances, and has a leaf spring axle with no trailer brakes. I've had it for 5 years, towed it at 75 mph, and went long distances. I've never had a problem with it. I'd build my teardrop on it again without hesitation.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Krusty » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:39 pm

TPMcGinty wrote:
Krusty wrote:The reason I was looking at 4 lug wheels is because the current trailer has 4 lug wheels. I figured I could keep the same hubs and wheels while building, then throw on some slightly larger wheels and keep the smaller ones as spares when I actually start taking it out on road trips.

am I correct in assuming I can use my current wheel hubs and wheels on a dexter axle? What If I wanted to install brakes? Would I need entirely new hubs to be able to use brakes?

Honestly, if you want to do all that I would recommend selling the trailer you have and having someone building a custom trailer for you. It will probably make you feel better. That being said, I have a cheap Northern Tools utility trailer that everyone in this thread is saying causes so many problems, can only be used at low speeds and driven short distances, and has a leaf spring axle with no trailer brakes. I've had it for 5 years, towed it at 75 mph, and went long distances. I've never had a problem with it. I'd build my teardrop on it again without hesitation.

My primary reasoning for looking at the different axle is to lower the trailer a bit. I'm towing behind a smaller vehicle so the lower the center of gravity and the lower the profile, the better. If I put on some larger wheels it'll amplify the problem even more. I'm not decided at this point on getting a new axle but haven't eliminated the issue. If I can lower the thing by 6 inches, keep my current hubs, and keep the tires that came with the trailer as spares, I'd be pretty happy.
Krusty
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kc7wzl » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:21 pm

I bought the chassis of my trailer from Fred Meyers back in 2005 and it has 8" rims, and I am still using them today ( the trailer was made by redtrailers ) now the paired weight cap of the wheels is 1200 lbs.. when it was in camp/cargo trailer form ( its now a flatbed ( needed to help a close friend move)) it's wet weight was about 850 to 900 lbs.. and I used it that way for 7 years.. now in Idaho legally you are only allowed to tow a trailer at a max speed of 65mph which I have done so often.

now I have not gotten a trailer from HF to know for sure .. but maybe the bearings in the RT are better made and is why I was ok with such small tires.. but I see toy trailers ( ones to haul snowmachines and etc. ) with 8" rims and I seen people tow them at 80mph hauling 4 to 6 snowmachines ( like a friend of mine ) for years without problems.

now here is my thoughts..

smaller tires
+ will allow lower clearance
+ are cheaper
- less wight cap
- harsher ride do to higher air pressure
- yes harder on hubs do to the higher speed of rotation.

so if your going to go through all the work to replace the axle and wheels.. might as well save the work and long term money investment.. and just get a trailer that has what you want... or have a local welding shop make one for you.. you will spend less in the long run and be much happier to get it correct at the start..

hope my thoughts help you... I just thought to add my 2 pennies worth beans I have used and abused a trailer with even smaller wheels for many years.

8) :beer:
Derick,
kc7wzl- General class Amateur Radio
kc7wzl
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Krusty » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Unfortunately I've already got the trailer built and Harbor freight is no good with returns. I've got the trailer and I'm going with it. At about $220 to buy the thing it's still a decent deal even if the thing didn't come with axles or wheels.

I need to buy a spare tire. I currently have 11" wheels on 4 lug hubs that came with the trailer. I'm either going to buy one more 11" 4 lug wheel or a couple of 12" 4 lug wheels. That's a guarantee. If the larger wheels are worthwhile, I'll get 2 larger wheels and keep the smaller ones as dual spares.

What I need to know now is:
* Can my hubs and wheels slide right onto a $200 dexter axle?
* Will that lower the trailer a noticeable amount?
* Will the money spent on the axle make for a safer ride?
* Is it worth the cost of an additional wheel and tire to go up to a slightly larger size tire?

If my hubs and wheels work AND the Dexter axle makes for a lower, smoother ride, I can see the $200 expense as being well worth it. If I have to upgrade the hubs and tires to go with it, the cost may jump up pretty significantly.

What I'd also like to know is:
* Can I add brakes to the Dexter axle without needing to upgrade the hubs? I don't think I'll need the brakes but for the sake of safety in towing I'm definitely keeping it as an option
Krusty
Teardrop Advisor

Postby kc7wzl » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:02 pm

there is about a 90% chance that the hubs will NOT work..HF is made on china standards ( what little there is ) and the dexter is made with US standards. now the wheels could be used if the new hubs have the same stud spacing/bolt pattern. as far as the lowering.. well there is a # of things that determine that. sorry I did not catch all the conversation on the axle and spring setup being proposed. I was just talking about my experience on the original question asked.

on the question of brakes.. 99% chance you will have to replace the hubs to add brakes.. because, be it drum and/or disk brakes have the hub built in to them and a firm attachment point will have to be added to the axle.

it would be easier when you order your axle to go ahead and order it with the brakes then you will save $ on labor shipping and etc.

at a later time I will look into it further as I will also confronting these questions as next year we are thinking of building a new trailer.

hope this helps... I may not be correct with every thing... it's just thats how things have worked out for me. Wishing you the best of luck.

Krusty wrote:Unfortunately I've already got the trailer built and Harbor freight is no good with returns. I've got the trailer and I'm going with it. At about $220 to buy the thing it's still a decent deal even if the thing didn't come with axles or wheels.

I need to buy a spare tire. I currently have 11" wheels on 4 lug hubs that came with the trailer. I'm either going to buy one more 11" 4 lug wheel or a couple of 12" 4 lug wheels. That's a guarantee. If the larger wheels are worthwhile, I'll get 2 larger wheels and keep the smaller ones as dual spares.

* Is it worth the cost of an additional wheel and tire to go up to a slightly larger size tire?

If my hubs and wheels work AND the Dexter axle makes for a lower, smoother ride, I can see the $200 expense as being well worth it. If I have to upgrade the hubs and tires to go with it, the cost may jump up pretty significantly.

* Can I add brakes to the Dexter axle without needing to upgrade the hubs? I don't think I'll need the brakes but for the sake of safety in towing I'm definitely keeping it as an option
Derick,
kc7wzl- General class Amateur Radio
kc7wzl
Teardrop Inspector

Postby alaska teardrop » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:59 pm

Krusty wrote:Unfortunately I've already got the trailer built and Harbor freight is no good with returns. I've got the trailer and I'm going with it. At about $220 to buy the thing it's still a decent deal even if the thing didn't come with axles or wheels.

Again, 14-15" wheels & radial tires run at about 21 psi. will make for a much smoother & safer ride on an 800# trailer.
    The #8 Dexter axle comes with hubs - either 4 on 4 or 5 on 4-1/2. The 5 lug hub will give you a better choice of wheels.
    Yes! Considerably. For your car I'd recommend a 22-1/2 degree UP start angle. About a 10" ride height to the underside of the trailer frame with 195/70/14 tires.
    [color=#0000FF] Yes.
    See above.

If your trailer is going to have an 800# gross weight, I would recommend that the axle be rated at 900#.
* Can I add brakes to the Dexter axle without needing to upgrade the hubs? I don't think I'll need the brakes but for the sake of safety in towing I'm definitely keeping it as an option.
    You can order the axle with or without brakes. Just be sure to order with the brake mounting flanges in case that you decide on adding brakes later. Probably less expensive & certainly less hassle to order with brakes.
    As a suggestion: I order from a local utility trailer sales & parts dealer. The axle comes in 2-3 weeks on his regular monthly order - no freight charge. There must be a place like that near you. I get my radial tires & the Modular trailer wheels (linked in previous post) from the local tire dealer overnight - no freight. The tire dealer also has a selection of good used space saver wheels & tires for a spare.
    :peace: Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Krusty » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:38 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll try contacting Dexter just to see if my hubs happen to work on their axle. If tire size really just makes for wear on the hubs I would think I can help to minimize that by ensuring I have a ton of bearing grease in there to help keep things smooth.
Krusty
Teardrop Advisor

Postby alaska teardrop » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Krusty wrote:Thanks for the info.
    You're welcome.
I'll try contacting Dexter just to see if my hubs happen to work on their axle.
    No need. The axle comes with hubs & bearings.
If tire size really just makes for wear on the hubs
    The larger the tire, the less bearing wear because they turn fewer revolutions per mile. Also, the 'zero offset' trailer wheels recommended provide for even loading on the wheel bearings.
I would think I can help to minimize that by ensuring I have a ton of bearing grease in there to help keep things smooth.
    That is not the proper way to maintain wheel bearings - study up.
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets