Help Please - Can't Get HF Hub on Axle

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Help Please - Can't Get HF Hub on Axle

Postby Dale M. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:52 am

Can everybody recognize Chinese Republic Authorized Product (CRAP)....

I am really tired with things being almost what they should be and everything being disposable.... Quality control seems to be a thing of the past, and its now its just take the money and run....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby H.A. » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:05 pm

Last edited by H.A. on Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Supply and demand. If you demand the lowest price, they will supply the lowest quality. It starts with the end user.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:15 pm

I can remember when made in Japan got the same rating as made in China does today, but the Japanese have become almost second to none in certain areas of manufacturing. Japans quality control is a take no prisoners business, especially in the automotive field (yes, they do build some cheap stuff like we do) Some of the finest machine work I've ever seen has come out of Germany for the auto manufacturing industry for use in paint booth applications. China will only get better as time goes on and if the consumer is willing to pay for quality.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Justjoe65 » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:19 pm

I had this very same issue happen with me on my trailer. One spindle was too big to accept the hub provided. First off, I was not real thrilled wtih the C channel axle that was provided, but then to see this, I was a little learing about sanding or grinding on the spindle because I didnt want to throw camber or anything else out of wack.
I went down to my local Tractor supply and found a good 2000 pound axle that came complete with installed 5 lug hubs for around $134.00 so that is what I am going to be using for my trailer, It will give me a little more peice of mind.
Yes, I am not happy about getting ripped off with that HF axle, but at the same time, i wanted to go with larger tires/rims any way, and think I will be better of anyway. You know what they say, You get what you pay for. :thinking:

Joe
U S Navy Chief Petty Officer (Ret.)

[url]My Build: gallery/album.php?album_id=3521[/url]
[url]Build Journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59842[/url]
Justjoe65
Teardrop Builder

Postby jseyfert3 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:22 am

You had a C-channel axle with your HF trailer?
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby Justjoe65 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:53 am

Yes I did. Not even going to mess with it, I found a nice 2000 pound axle at Tractor supply that I am going to install instead.
U S Navy Chief Petty Officer (Ret.)

[url]My Build: gallery/album.php?album_id=3521[/url]
[url]Build Journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59842[/url]
Justjoe65
Teardrop Builder

Postby WizardOfOdds » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:58 pm

With the destruction of the Tip Top Tier Drop http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56232&start=15#p1087994 I purchased another HF 1720# frame kit. The assembly went about as expected until it came time to mount the hubs after repacking the bearings. Then I ran into the same problems as described above but with some twists:

Problem: There is a mismatch between the axle and hubs preventing the hubs from being mounted to the axle. One hub fits OK to one end of the axle, but not the other end. The second hub fits neither end of the axle. This suggests that

(1) the bearing race on the defective hub may not be fully seated (although it is visually difficult to see) and
(2) the spindle on one end of the axle is machined too short (clearly visible).

When the good hub is mounted to the good end of the axle, there is no problem inserting the cotter pin. However, when the same hub is mounted on the shorter axle end, it requires excessive tightening and hammering the cotter pin in place leaving the bearing over stressed.

The bad hub can not be mounted to either end of the axle. On the short end of the axle, the castle nut can only be installed a few turns.

In general I found the quality control of this newer version of this kit to be far less than what I experianced with the original kit purchased several years ago. I am waiting to see what HF customer service has to say. Anyone have any luck with similar HF trailer issues?
WizardOfOdds: Chalet shaped rag roof clam shell TIER drop for 4 cylinder tow
Tip Top Tier Drop thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56232
Unusual Designs thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64495
Tale of 2 Trailers thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61451
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets