Tire size change, should I?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tire size change, should I?

Postby citylights » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:44 pm

Background info, my finished trailer weighs 1750 lb dry and the existing axle is rated at 2000 lb.

I got these FJ rims and tires for free. My tow vehicle is an FJ.

Should I buy $130 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 wheel lug converters and just mount the tires? Cheap, easy. Gain ground clearance for dirt trail running.

Should I buy a $300, 3500 lb dexter axle, with 6x5.5 hubs, and spring set and mount the tires? Expensive, gain ground clearance, and safety margin on axel and spring rating.

Or just leave the regular trailer tires on? Cheapest, I prolly don't need the ground clearance anyway.

I almost forgot, if I put the tires on, I would also need new aluminum diamond plate fenders, they are $100 for the pair.

Last edited by citylights on Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citylights
500 Club

Re: Tire size change, should I?

Postby desertmoose » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:53 pm

My tear weighs 1940 pounds empty. I had 2000 pound springs on a 3500 pound axle with 15" tires and wheels when I built it.
Last summer I broke a spring. Not sure why, but I went to 3000 pound springs when I replaced them. So far so good.

I'm a firm believer in extra capacity on the undercarriage especially in the Nevada backcountry.

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby MtnDon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:57 pm

How is the backspacing / offset on he FJ wheels? With the adapter will there be any issues with having the wheels clear the body sides when mounted? Or maybe the wheels will stick out too far?

It would look cool to have wheels on the TV and TD match. On that I agree. Whether it is worth the expense if the technical details can be worked out is a matter between your wallet/checkbook and yourself or your wife. ;)

EDIT: And then once you have same wheels/tires on TV and TD, are you sure you will "always" have the same TV, the same wheel specs? I was a hard core Jeep (5 x 4.5) user for more than 2 decades. I swore I would always have a Jeep. I have not had a Jeep for a couple years now. I have a 4x4 still but a different make, different wheels.
Last edited by MtnDon on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby citylights » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:02 pm

MtnDon wrote:How is the backspacing / offset on he FJ wheels? With the adapter will there be any issues with having the wheels clear the body sides when mounted? Or maybe the wheels will stick out too far?

It would look cool to have wheels on the TV and TD match. On that I agree. Whether it is worth the expense if the technical details can be worked out is a matter between your wallet/checkbook and yourself or your wife. ;)

Complicated question I know! The wife and $ part anyway...

The 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 wheel lug converters are two inches thick and will take care of the back spacing/offset. Here is a link to the converters.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M9 ... 1ERR9VQ8AO
citylights
500 Club

Postby citylights » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:11 pm

desertmoose wrote:My tear weighs 1940 pounds empty. I had 2000 pound springs on a 3500 pound axle with 15" tires and wheels when I built it.
Last summer I broke a spring. Not sure why, but I went to 3000 pound springs when I replaced them. So far so good.

I'm a firm believer in extra capacity on the undercarriage especially in the Nevada backcountry.

Sam

I am inclined to agree about the extra capacity. Nothing like a wash boarded gravel road to beat the ______ out of things.

Worse, I like to drive fast on those roads. I wonder what a power slide would be like with a trailer.... Naw, save that for the stunt drivers. :thumbdown:
citylights
500 Club

Postby MtnDon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:12 pm

There's a company in Sparks that makes spacers / adpaters. Can't remember their name off hand.. I have some.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby citylights » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:16 pm

MtnDon wrote:EDIT: And then once you have same wheels/tires on TV and TD, are you sure you will "always" have the same TV, the same wheel specs? I was a hard core Jeep (5 x 4.5) user for more than 2 decades. I swore I would always have a Jeep. I have not had a Jeep for a couple years now. I have a 4x4 still but a different make, different wheels.

Nothing is forever, but at least I would have the upgraded axel and springs to start with if there was a change in the future. The plans are to have this FJ for at least the next 10 years. It is my daily driver now, but sometime soon, I will retire it for just "fun" use. I plan to get a small economical car... Like a Subaru WRX for driving back and forth to work. :thumbsup:
citylights
500 Club

Postby 48Rob » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:16 pm

I think bigger wheels/tires look better than small ones. The $130 isn't much to give your trailer a cool new look.
The fenders are just "accessories" like earrings or a purse... :thinking:
Life is for living...the way you want. If you can afford it, why not?

I don't do any off roading, but would be concerned about bending the axle, no matter the wheel size.
Unless you travel a long way to get there, you can try it as is and then upgrade the axle and springs if they give.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Martiangod » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:47 am

48Rob wrote:The fenders are just "accessories" like earrings or a purse... :thinking:

Rob

Something your not telling us Rob ??? :whistle:
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is

Chris

Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
The topper viewtopic.php?f=50&t=58140, gone to a new home to be converted
into an ice fishing shack...FREEBIE !!! for a nice young family
The trailer viewtopic.php?f=50&t=48156
Martiangod
500 Club

Postby 48Rob » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:41 am

Yeah, I like earings and a purse to go with my trailer...

When my wife is along with her accessories, she picks up the tab! ;)

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Toyotamike » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:07 am

Might I recommend using a spare fj/tacoma rear axle under your tear. That way if you kill the diff or axle you have spares on hand. Those rear ends are sadly weaker than the 04 and prior ones. I've personally seen 6 of the rear diffs fail, either bearings or shearing teeth and most of those were on mall crawlers even.

Now where are you finding the fenders for $100? I'll be in the market soon.
Toyotamike
Teardrop Builder

Postby citylights » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:01 am

Toyotamike wrote:Might I recommend using a spare fj/tacoma rear axle under your tear. That way if you kill the diff or axle you have spares on hand. Those rear ends are sadly weaker than the 04 and prior ones. I've personally seen 6 of the rear diffs fail, either bearings or shearing teeth and most of those were on mall crawlers even.

Now where are you finding the fenders for $100? I'll be in the market soon.

No recommendation, but I just saw these on search

http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/Items.asp?CC=FENDER-A
citylights
500 Club

Postby ctstaas » Tue May 27, 2014 8:20 pm

Adapters make me nervous for some reason. Having the same sized tires as your TV is super smart. Why blemish that brilliance with some adapter?
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby citylights » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:55 pm

I ended up flipping the axle under the springs and putting larger trailer tires on. Went from 8-inch clear to 13-inches clear under the drop storage. I sold the FJ spares and rims. Had to get a step stool for my wife. I anticipated that. My galley height went from low counter to bar height... That one got me, I didn't think of that. :lol:

Before and after pictures...

citylights
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets