trailer balance spreadsheet

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

trailer balance spreadsheet

Postby thecamocamper » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:22 am

Hi all
found this file do not know if it will help anybody
Attachments
trailer-balance[1].xls
(599.93 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
thecamocamper
Teardrop Inspector

Re: trailer balance spreadsheet

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:46 pm

There is a document in the design library on trailer balance,too:

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear81.htm
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:31 am

I have used a much abbreviated method and it comes out close to Andrew's results.

I try and place the centerline of the axle so that 60% of the trailer body is forward and 40% is to the rear.

If you have a little more substantial tow vehicle I like the results of 65% forward and 35% rearward even better. This sets up a bit more tongue weight but offers better highway speed handling and better manners when backing the trailer up.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ctstaas » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:16 pm

When I was a kid, working on my first trailer build, I asked the Old guy how to determine where to place the axle and he told me," Shut up kid and pay attention and I'll tell you".
When sizing and placing the axle do not consider the length and weight of the tongue, only the box (trailer itself) and potential load. On an average trailer the axle should be no close to the front then 50% of the length and no farther from the front then 66% of it's length. The closer to 50%, the more hippity=skippity it will be going down the road, and more sensitive when backing up. The closer to 66%, the more hitch weight and better towing characteristics. When figuring tandem axles use the center point between the spindles to locate the position.
Spread sheets are good and everything but this rule of thumb has always worked for me and is shop proof.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:39 am

Yeah, even though I created that spreadsheet, I admit it's probably overkill. 60/40 won't go far wrong, providing you understand that you will still be able to load the trailer so that it doesn't have enough weight on the tongue.

It's probably necessary to go to 75/25 to get a trailer that cannot be unbalanced by operator abuse.

The spreadsheet starts to become useful if people want to build a trailer with an odd loading pattern - like a lightweight trailer with a really heavy galley fit-out. Or if they are trying to limit tongue weight to suit a tow vehicle limitation.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby woytovich » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:13 pm

angib wrote:It's probably necessary to go to 75/25 to get a trailer that cannot be unbalanced by operator abuse.

Unless you load the large safe on the rear 30" of the trailer, just inside the door, because it is too heavy to slide forward... :shock: :o

Never underestimate the potential for user error!
Mark - Metro New York
Toyota Land Cruisers: '66, '78 and '86
'03 Yukon XL, 2500/8.1 liter/8 lug + 18' 10k Car Trailer
M416 1/4 ton Military trailer - SOLD
5x8 Cargo/Camper - for sale soon
woytovich
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:10 am

woytovich wrote:Unless you load the large safe on the rear 30" of the trailer, just inside the door, because it is too heavy to slide forward...

Many men considered their beer stock to be essential for the continuance of life, but installing a safe to keep the beer secure is possibly getting a little bit obsessed.....
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

trailer balance - Google Sheets

Postby AlienSKP » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:45 am

Hi there

As I couldn't open the Excel spreadsheet on my Mac (don't ask me why) I created a public Google Sheets version of it

here is the link to the Google Sheet

If someone could double-check if the numbers are good, it would be awesome.
Cheers
Andre
AlienSKP
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets