Custom built???

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Custom built???

Postby NavySeabee6969 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:45 pm

Has anyone ever custom built their own TD trailer? If so, not to be offending, what did it cost? I have been researching building my own trailer for some time. I have found this website; http://www.metalsdepot.com/index.php and they seem to have decent prices, Im just not sure what size/dimension I should build on. I would assume something in the area of 2" x 2" square tubing. If this is overkill, please let me know. I am so far greener than a beginner, I havnt the foggiest about chassis design. I have read a few Harbor Freight reviews about their super duty trailer, not that I have a bad taste, but I hear some reviews about tongue flex and such. I would like to build my TD to pass down to my children or grand children, ya know? So I would like something a bit more curable. There is always the Red Trailer option, but I want to weigh out all other options before I choose the best.

Thank you for your input.

V/R,

Kevin
NavySeabee6969
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Custom built???

Postby kayakdlk » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:35 pm

I bought my metal locally (DenCol Steel) and had them do most of the cuts ($1-2/cut) was well worth it.

Item, Length, Qty, used for
2.5"x2.5" OD x.188 (3/16") Square tubing, 10 ft, 1, used for the tongue
2"x2" OD x.0747 (14 gauge) Square tubing, 10 ft, 4, outside frame rails and tongue A angle connectors
2"x2" OD x.0747 (14 gauge) Square tubing, 54 in, 3, end rails and first cross member
2"x2" OD x.188 (3/16") Square tubing, 6 ft, 1, for my axle to connect my Timbren axles together
2"x2" x.120 (1/8") Angle iron, 54 in, 3, for the rest of the crossmembers

Total cost $264 + $20 labor + $21 tax = $305 total

I also bought some 3/16 flat plate 4"x6" for the corners etc. but that cost was less than $30 total.

Shipping cost is what usually stopped me from ordering any metal online. I decide to look harder locally to save the shipping cost

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:32 pm

Kevin,

The average decent quality homebuilt trailer costs from $2500-$4000 to complete.

Please note that I said "average".

The range can run from a few hundred, to over ten thousand, it just depends on how nice, or overboard you want to make it.

The frame, or "trailer" is the foundation of it all.
Care should be taken so that you don't build a palace on a potentially weak, cheap easy option instead of considering a custom frame/trailer that is designed around your final plan.
The foundation is but a small part of the overall project.
If a pre-assembled frame works for you, great!
If you have to modify that frame left and right to make it work, custom makes more sense.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby glenpinpat » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:56 pm

I am having a custom made trailer being made as we speak. Basic 5x8 dimensions with a 4ft tongue. 2x2 x 3/16 for frame and I have a removable tongue so whatever the dimensions of that stuff is plus the tongue support which I believe is 3x 2. All tongue support and tongue run right up to where the axle is. The cost for metal, cutting and welding is 350.00 CD. I am doing the painting and welding the fenders myself. so lets say another 60.00 CD. The axle can be as low as 200.00 or as high as you want. I am going with a timbren axle-less axle as this will be an off road tear. The axle with electric brakes is costing me 800.00. Wiring and lights can be anywhere from 20.00 to 200.00 mine will be about 80.00. I have an offroad style tongue costing 200.00 but a simple 2" ball tongue is 10.00. So my build is costing 1410.00 CD complete but you could build it for 840.00CD.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby Steve_Cox » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:26 pm

$4000 spent on the TD here. 5' X 10' Home built frame, 2X2 box tubing, 50 spoke chrome wire wheels, 40 Ford reproduction fiberglass fenders. 32 Ford tail lights. All oak hardwood. Over built, over weight woodie. Air conditioning, Fantastic Fan, Outback oven, on board pressure water.

8) Took 4 months to build and I sold it for about $6,000 three years later....
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:47 pm

I think Rob nailed it....the house is only as good as the foundation so to speak. You have to build it in your mind as to what you want for a finished product and build the frame and axle accordingly. Good Luck and we like pic's :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Midget » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:45 pm

I built my frame using a 2x3 .120 wall square tube that runs from the hitch to the back of the trailer. From there I used 2x2 .120 wall for the outriggers. It is far too over kill for our trailer. Loaded up for camping it weighs about 1300 lbs. I could have shaved at least 200 pounds off that on the frame. I do have to admit it is bullet proof. When the wood body rots to pieces, I'll have a great frame to build on again. Also, since most of the weight of the trailer is the frame, the center of gravity is also low.

Take a look at trailer frames on line to get an idea of what works. Some are very basic and have been around since the 1940's.

Bob
Midget
Teardrop Master

Postby NavySeabee6969 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:22 pm

Wow!! Thank you for all the input. I greatly appreciate it. I do feel Rob has the nail hit by saying the house is only as good as the foundation. I will definitely go the locally procured route, I have to support the local business around Mississippi. I would have loved to see Steve_Cox's TD in person. The woodie TD are so neat and original. AS for now, I am still on the search for inspiration and design ideas, I have done a tone of SketchUp design ideas and have narrowed it down to either a traditional TD body, or a TD body with just angled corners. I also want to include a possible rook rack system, and definitely some solar panels so the wifey and I can go 'off-the-grid' for a weekend. Still in S. Korea at the moment, but I should be heading stateside by mid-summer. But dont worry, I will document every step I take and post the build process with every purchase and build day. Thank you for all your input and support, and I hope to see you at a campsite soon!!

V/R,

Kevin
Attachments
trailer-camper idea4.jpg
Ive been pretty busy and bored
trailer-camper idea4.jpg (148.19 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
trailer-camper idea2.jpg
ANother angle
trailer-camper idea2.jpg (149.75 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
trailer-camper idea1.jpg
My potential final-ish design
trailer-camper idea1.jpg (182.61 KiB) Viewed 1710 times
NavySeabee6969
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DMcCam » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi Kevin,

We had our chassis custom built locally and the cost was reasonable. You can check out my plans and thread below if you're interested.

What size are you planning on building? Your design is pretty cool. My only concern is with size of the doors. You might consider making them taller something around 38" (if they're not already). It makes it much easier to get in and out of.

Cheers,

Dave
DMcCam
Gold Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:41 am

My custom made trailer frame is 61" wide by 117" long with a 48" long A-frame tongue.

A little oversimplified:
The front and sides were made with 2"x2"x1/8" square tube.
The cross supports on nominal 24" centers are 2"x2"x1/8" L shapes.
The A-frame tongue is made of two 2"x3"x1/8" rectangular tubes.
In the four corners we used 1/8" flat plate triangles to help bolt the floor to the frame.

I had a local welding shop custom make the trailer. To my pleasant surprise it was completed two days after I gave them my plans.They buy steel for less than I could have. I supplied a Dexter #9 torsion axle that was built to my specifications. If I were to build another trailer I might use a Flexiride torsion axle, instead, which has adjustable start angles.

If I ordered steel from MetalsDepot.com:
T12211 2 X 2 X 11 GA (.120 wall) A500 Steel Structural Square Tube $68.88 each $137.76 for two 24'
A12218 2 X 2 X 1/8 Steel Angle A-36 Steel Angle $29.60 for 20'
S111 11 GA. (.120 thick) Steel Sheet Hot Rolled Steel Sheet $20.60 for 1'x2'
T13218 3 X 2 X 11GA (.120 wall) A500 Steel Structural Rectangle Tube $70.20 for 12'
Sub-Total: $258.16 not including shipping
Last edited by Esteban on Thu May 29, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Rhino Ray » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:10 pm

Mine cost a bit under 5000 but I did a few extras for it like electric brakes and a custom paint job to match my car.

Rob is right on. Check out my build thread below to see what I did.
The eleventh commandment: Ye that snoozeth loozeth. Selling real estate in ALL of Jefferson State (Northern California and Southern Oregon)

My Build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=49746
Rhino Ray
Silver Donating Member

Postby jmnielsen » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:25 pm

I custom built the trailer frame and have about $140 total. That is a complete trailer except for then wheels and tires. I haven't started building the actual TD though.
jmnielsen
Teardrop Inspector

Postby luscombe » Thu May 29, 2014 7:24 pm

I used the HF folding trailer and welded it where the hinge would go. I bought almost everything on E-bay. The plywood and resin for the fiberglass covering was bought at Lowes. I like the chanel over the tubing as it is easier to hide plumbing and wire in it. It is also easier to put captured nuts in it. I didn't use the HF axle as it was too cheap so I bought half axles on E-bay for $200 a pair and went to the salvage yard for the rims $20. I think I have $1500 in it including a refrigerator and three burner stove for the galley. Mine is a 4 foot by 10 foot. I love it. It is four years old now and I have spent over 100 nights in it.
Good Luck and have fun. I enjoyed building it as much as I love using it.
luscombe
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 30, 2014 5:41 am

A mashed up HF frame off of E Bay and less than $900.00 and I went campin'

The lumber was free from work and a lot of the scrap , crap, and toys I had acquired in my hording days so there was really very little outlay of cash.

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ctstaas » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:39 am

Hi Kevin, The plans I used for my build were 20 + years old and said he did his for $700. Adjusted for inflation 50-60% $1400-2100. About right for my 4x4x8. The three wheels and tires were around $500. I could have gone cheaper on a lot of things and proceeded as I could afford once or twice on my build (I ran out of cash). I spent around $2000 on my build and will do the next build the same way when I have the money saved up.
I have built a lot of things and my rule of thumb for costs is 1/3 materials, 2/3 labor. The labor for my build was provided for cheap, so my $2000 investment yields a TD worth $6000. Oh Yeah! Sentimental value is way high on the creation of my hand for me. Priceless? No, a dollar two ninety eight.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets