Northern Tool 5 X 8 Question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Northern Tool 5 X 8 Question

Postby Starseeker » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:09 am

I got a question about Northern Tool's Ironton Heavy Duty 5 X 8 trailer. According to the website the side rails are channels that are 1 1/2 wide, 3 3/16 high and 8 feet long. Now could you change these side rails out and use the same size channel that is 10 feet long to convert it to a 5 X 10?
Aaron
KF5VBV
Starseeker
Teardrop Builder

Re: Northern Tool 5 X 8 Question

Postby MtnDon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:02 am

Finding steel that size might be the problem.

It may be easier to extend the tongue. Add a center member that extends from the second or third crossmember back from the front through the point of the "A" and forward a couple feet. That would permit building forward over the A-frame. Then move the axle as needed / if needed.

he way the tongue in made you can flip the "plate" the the coupler mounts to. Turn it upside down and you can run a square tube through the plate and under the a-frame and main frame. Of course that added square tube must be sized adequately for the load.

I have done that for an ATV / utility flatbed trailer and might be able to find some old pictures, if I took any. If not I can take some pictures this coming weekend and post them next week.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:43 am

Yup, what MtnDon said. You can easily build out over the ends of the trailer frame. My X-Cubed's overall length is 126", on the NT 5x8. It's built out 18" over the tongue, and extends out 12" in the rear. Just add wood supports that go from side wall to side wall and let your extended floor rest on those. I did extend the tongue.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby Starseeker » Thu May 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Ok thanks for the replies. I think that i have settled on the Cub profile in the Design Resources section. From the looks of it, the cub looks like a 10 foot TD on an 8 foot trailer. If that is the case all I would have to do is extend the tongue to make up for the overhang.
Aaron
KF5VBV
Starseeker
Teardrop Builder

Postby bobhenry » Fri May 02, 2014 6:18 am

This one was a Namco ( I think ) bought it used from a buddy. Image

After a little sawsall action and some barn building it looked like thisImage

Note the shove 2 foot forward to make a 10 foot trailer on an 8 foot foundation

The 2x2 x3/16 tongue proved to be a bit anemic and later had to be trussed for strength a 2 x 3 tube would have been a better choice.

Here is a shot of the trussed tongue a flat strap was added like a bow string to tension under weight made a good repair to a design boo boo !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets