Custom Chassis?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Custom Chassis?

Postby Thelgord » Fri May 30, 2014 4:57 pm

Greetings all,

I have noticed that a lot of people who build TD's also customize them to match the tow vehicle. Since I have a Toyota Tacoma 4x4, if I wanted the trailer to have the same track and use the same size wheels/tires, does this require a custom chassis? Or are there pre made chassis that would also work? Thanks for any replies.
Thelgord
Teardrop Master

Re: Custom Chassis?

Postby teamredjeep » Fri May 30, 2014 6:30 pm

Just something to think about, I noticed you have a 4wd and if you plan on doing any trails with tight spots around corners etc. you may want a narrow track on your trailer. With the same track you would be off track in turns, or cutting turns sharper then your tow vehicle which could be more difficult around obstacles. In the off road trailer industry it is common for trailers to have a narrow track so they track better behind the tow vehicle. Tongue length can also affect off tracking in turns. If you are planning on staying away from tight turn situations having the track the same is no problem. Dexter as well as other axle manufacturers can make axles to any length with any wheel bolt pattern. There are many welding/trailer shops the can build a frame to your specifications. Check them out well to make sure they build a quality product and stand behind there work. If you are on the West coast I can suggest a few.

Best regards, Mike
teamredjeep
Donating Member

Postby Thelgord » Fri May 30, 2014 10:39 pm

Thanks for the tips. I will check out "Dexter" as I have never heard of them. For off road, on the trailer, is a solid axle better than independent suspension? Or does it really not matter much on a trailer. I have seen a few videos of an Australian off road trailer that has independent suspension, but I don't know how hard that would be set up.
Thelgord
Teardrop Master

Postby teamredjeep » Sat May 31, 2014 7:40 am

Solid axle verses independent is a debate that has been going on for years. Leaf springs have been used for many years and are proven. My buddy has torsion independent setup on his trailer (also Dexter) and I love the ground clearance he has with out a solid axle. My opinion is they both work just fine. A trailer has three contact points, hitch and both tires unlike a vehicle that has four. A trailer is going to pivot from the hitch regardless on it suspension, articulation is not something a trailer gains with independent suspension like a four wheel vehicle. That also means the hitch being able to pivot is important with a off road trailer. A standard ball hitch can pop off or damage tow hitch/trailer tongue if trailer pivots to much. My buddy works in Australia a few times a year I wonder where he got the idea for independent suspension. The Aussie's are at a different level when it comes to off road camping equipment. Most of their stuff seems heavier and larger than I would want to tow on my adeventures.

Mike
teamredjeep
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sat May 31, 2014 11:47 am

Check out these threads before you decide on an axle type.viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32474 and viewtopic.php?f=39&t=10923 Lots of info; really made me think about what I needed for my recent axle replacement. I had considered going to a torsion, or a Timbren, but finally decided to stay with a spring axle, since I have always used them (stick with what you know). My TTT started out with a very small 1.25" square-tube axle of unknown capacity and manufacture. It was only 50"x60" on 8" wheels. I had intended to build under 1000lbs, so that wasn't a concern. As the build morphed into something much larger, and heavier, I grew concerned over the eventual failure of one or more axle components (probably the tube-spindle welds parting, being over twenty years old), or the thin-walled tubing (pock-marked with rust) giving way under excessive weight and road shocks. I had added bigger (new 5x4.5) hubs, 14" wheels and tires, and 1.5" spacer/adapters, which could only add to the stress on the system eventually. Just a matter of time. I took it out on one outing, just 100 miles round-trip, with no problems...but I worried about it coming apart anyway. So I researched and researched until I had finally decided on spring axle, again, just weight capacity to be determined. That was eventually decided on when I jacked the trailer up, in preparation to removing the questionable axle and installing a new one (at first thought a 2k from Tractor Supply). When lifted off the garage floor, the right rear spring shackle was found to have ripped loose from the frame (long story and thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=58985 ), necessitating frame repair, as well as beefing up the entire structure...more added weight...so I decided to go big. New 1/4" thick frame rail repair pieces, heavy-duty spring hangers, and heavier-duty springs (3k capacity), on a Dexter 3500lb axle. Anticipating the new weight of the trailer to come in around 1750lbs, I ordered it with brakes. Reasons for buying a spring axle: if a shackle or spring fails on the trip, I can use ratchet straps to limp to a parts house (I have done so before, with a broken spring on my tandem axle racecar hauler), I can carry extra parts with me (spring, u-bolt/tie-plate kit, extra hub/bearing, other hardware = total cost < $125, weight < 50lbs), and ease of assembly in case of repairs. The torsion axle requires a whole new assembly, and the Timbren would also, if repairs were needed on the trip. Since I plan no off-roading, and will monitor my new axle's condition religiously, at home between trips in the shelter of its' garage bay, I anticipate no problems in the future.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets