HF Trailers: 4x8 Folding or 4x8 Fixed?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Lucky53s » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:52 pm

I'm starting to think about what a base may be for my TD. I have a ton of planning to do so I can make tweaks along the way to make it work either way. I would like 60 inches internally for a queen mattress but at least 54 for a full would suffice if I needed to go that route. I also want to build 10 feet long so I can have a galley with a fridge and maybe a camp chef over/stove combo. I need the additional internal space because my dog is a chewer and needs to sleep in a crate. Luckily it's a Dachshund so the crate will be relatively small.

Now the question: I already own a HF 4x8 folding trailer with a 1200 lb capacity. My TV is a 5.7L CrewMax Tundra (4 full size doors). This means I have bed space and rear seat space to load the heaviest things if I need to be more mindful of weight. My wife will be getting a new Highlander that will be used to tow a TD in the future. Again, plenty of space in the TV for cargo if trailer weight is an issue. The trailer is is good shape, only used for a total of maybe 50 - 75 miles. I know there are a few mods that can be done to the folding trailer to make it a good base. I was going to do stabilizing jacks but could use jack stands for stability to transfer more weight into the truck instead of TD.

Okay, the real question: Is 1195 lbs enough for an average 5x10 (maybe 5.5 width) that I estimate to be 4 feet tall, with an AC, with a galley containing a fridge and a camp stove? I do not plan on storing water as I know my wife will not boondock but I can put water in the truck if necessary. Once parked I will either use jack stands or stabilizing jacks if my weight allows me to do so. I'm willing to spend a few bucks to stiffen weak areas of the folder and I know there is a mod to make it fixed instead of folding.

I can always sell the trailer for $150 or so (it has plywood sides and floor that could help) and buy a 1700 lb capacity trailer but I don't want to go overboard and have too stiff of suspension.
Lucky53s
Teardrop Builder

Re: HF Trailers: 4x8 Folding or 4x8 Fixed?

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:50 pm

Buy the 1700# trailer. At 5X10 you should come close in weight to the maximum on the lighter trailer. Also if memory serves me right the 1195# trailer has 4 bolt hubs. Makes putting larger wheels on it a little harder to do should you want to. I am most comfortable when I am not near the limits of anything.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:56 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Buy the 1700# trailer. At 5X10 you should come close in weight to the maximum on the lighter trailer. Also if memory serves me right the 1195# trailer has 4 bolt hubs. Makes putting larger wheels on it a little harder to do should you want to. I am most comfortable when I am not near the limits of anything.

It is a 4 bolt. :)
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Lucky53s » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:52 am

So that is one vote for the fixed trailer. Thanks.
Lucky53s
Teardrop Builder

Postby Lucky53s » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:09 am

Bonnie and Butcher: I actually just reread the description and the gross weight is 1450 lbs including the trailer (253 lbs) . I'm not sure if you knew that or not when making your suggestion. I didn't even know it when posting but I noticed when looking at the specs on the 1700 lb trailer that the gross on that one is in the 1950 lb range.

Of course that doesn't change the 4 bolt vs 5 bolt wheel.

Just a little food for thought. Still considering options and open to all suggestions.
Lucky53s
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets