Axle arrived - wrong size?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Axle arrived - wrong size?

Postby Ropes4u » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:35 am

I'm building a 4'6" wide trailer a d ordered a dexter torex with brakes. Well my axle arrived and I am 100% positive it needs to go back, or I can adjust my plans.

Axle measurements
Hub to hub (outside) 66 7/8"

Backing plate to backing plate inside 58,5"

Frame mount 54 wide - I think this should have been 51.5"

My question is should I just build the trailer on top of the axle as is with 2x3 box tubing on it's side, or send the axle back?

If it matter I am skirting the side and building a lil'bear flat front with a removable tongue.

It's my problem but I thought it worth asking.

John.
Ropes4u
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Axle arrived - wrong size?

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:38 pm

Give Grant a call at Lil' Bear. Two-bits says he'd love to cogitate on this problem.

TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Ropes4u wrote:I'm building a 4'6" wide trailer a d ordered a dexter torex with brakes. Well my axle arrived and I am 100% positive it needs to go back, or I can adjust my plans.

Axle measurements
Hub to hub (outside) 66 7/8"

Backing plate to backing plate inside 58,5"

Frame mount 54 wide - I think this should have been 51.5"

My question is should I just build the trailer on top of the axle as is with 2x3 box tubing on it's side, or send the axle back?

If it matter I am skirting the side and building a lil'bear flat front with a removable tongue.

It's my problem but I thought it worth asking.

John.
What did you specify on your order sheet? Maybe Dexter changed your order to meet their rules, like with my axle. My experience with Dexter (spring axle, 3500lbs, with brakes) was like this: I gave them my specs, measured according to an order form I found on another Dexter dealers website. Dexter informed me that they couldn't build it to those specs, that the brakes required 1.75" more hubface (if I remember correctly) for clearance. Fortunately, I re-measured and found I could barely fit it in. I looked over the order form on the other dealer's site again, and still can't see my error.
tire clearance first axle.jpg
.75" minimum clearance
tire clearance first axle.jpg (80.26 KiB) Viewed 552 times
tire clearance second axle.jpg
bunches of clearance!
tire clearance second axle.jpg (65.75 KiB) Viewed 552 times
axle comparo pre-order.png
NOTE: actual average hubface on 1st axle is 60.75"
axle comparo pre-order.png (50.24 KiB) Viewed 552 times
As pictured, there was about .75" tire clearance with my first axle (with quite a bit of toe-in, avg. hubface was at 60.75"), so I ordered for .625" more on each side (which I thought was enough for backing plate clearance, tire clearance, and to center the tire under the fender). Dexter insisted on 63.75" hubface, so that's what I got. Plenty of clearance, now. In your case, I don't know if the added three inches are that much of an added workload for you to compensate for, since Torflexes are simpler to mount than spring axles (no spring hangers to move), but I'm sure Dexter will charge something for taking the axle back. Will it be worth the cost to you?
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Ropes4u » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:18 pm

It appears they put the mount on the centerline instead of the outside measurement I specified. The dealer is a friend of a friend and he said he would correct it. As it sits now there isn't room for the skirts, unless I am completely off base.

I emailed Grant and will try to call for some advice tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404069456.804495.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404069456.804495.jpg (233.46 KiB) Viewed 548 times
Ropes4u
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ropes4u » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:26 pm

Well the axle went back and the vendor doesn't want to mess around with another order.

Looks like I shed myself of a poor vendor and an incorrectly built axle. Now I need to find a mail order vendor or another dealer in North East Colorado.
Ropes4u
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:30 pm

I bought my axle direct from Dexter. My brother in law just ordered one from Dexter after getting mixed results from dealers in the Salt Lake area.

TL
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ropes4u » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:34 pm

tony.latham wrote:I bought my axle direct from Dexter. My brother in law just ordered one from Dexter after getting mixed results from dealers in the Salt Lake area.

TL

Taking tomorrow off and will call them and see what they say. Thank you :)
Ropes4u
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets