Opinions on Worn Tire

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Opinions on Worn Tire

Postby Nobody » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:48 am

A little update on my post(s) above. We returned home on 8/21/14 after a 3632 mile round trip to Wyoming & the Walk the Winds gathering. Had a great trip & no problems with either the TD or the TV. I calculated tire pressure for the new Carlisle tires and adjusted pressure to 37-38lbs after mounting & balancing. The trailer 'tracked' great throughout the trip with little or no 'bounce' on varied highway surface/condition. Most of our trip was under 60mph except for first & last day when we drove at near interstate speeds of 65-70mph. We experienced no odd/adverse tire wear & after the entire trip there is negligible noticeable wear on either tire. I'm satisfied that balancing the new tires & insuring spindles are 'square' with the coupler was of great value & will help with tread longevity...
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kd8cgo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:55 am

Nobody wrote:A little update on my post(s) above. We returned home on 8/21/14 after a 3632 mile round trip to Wyoming & the Walk the Winds gathering. Had a great trip & no problems with either the TD or the TV. I calculated tire pressure for the new Carlisle tires and adjusted pressure to 37-38lbs after mounting & balancing. The trailer 'tracked' great throughout the trip with little or no 'bounce' on varied highway surface/condition. Most of our trip was under 60mph except for first & last day when we drove at near interstate speeds of 65-70mph. We experienced no odd/adverse tire wear & after the entire trip there is negligible noticeable wear on either tire. I'm satisfied that balancing the new tires & insuring spindles are 'square' with the coupler was of great value & will help with tread longevity...

Excellent, I was wondering how your tires did after the fixes! Single axle trailers are usually pretty forgiving beasts, and a balance and checking the axle mounts will probably fix a lions share of most people's issues! Not to mention the teardrops are some of the lightest weight trailers rolling down the road, they should be able to go a nice long time on a set of tires! :D I like that you calculate your tire load PSI for each trip, that is a step often missed.
kd8cgo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:24 am

This really drives home the need for leaf spring locating bolts to be captured in the hole in the axle's spring perch.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets