The "K" Factor

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

The "K" Factor

Postby ctstaas » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:19 pm

img012.jpg
img012.jpg (224.95 KiB) Viewed 598 times
Hi All, I am in the middle of designing my next TD and wanted some more info on tongue design and here is what I found. As the angle increases the strength decreases (tension) by a factor of "K". The pointier the higher tension strength. Because of the nature of the load tension is not as useful as yield strength but the "K" factor doesn't change according to a mechanical engineer I chatted up.
img012.jpg
img012.jpg (224.95 KiB) Viewed 598 times
The tensile strength of A36 steel is 60K-80K psi and the yield strength is 36K psi. I use the safety factor of 2 but some prefer 1.5.
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Re: The "K" Factor

Postby angib » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:51 pm

That's not really that relevant for an A-frame as the K factor is for in-line loads - it correctly identifies a wire towing bridle as one example of where it would be used.

Tongue strength is mainly concerned with vertical loads, at right angles to the 'in-line' direction and so the K factor isn't important.

Did that make any sense? I know what I mean, but the words may not express it clearly!
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Re: The "K" Factor

Postby ctstaas » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:23 am

Hi Angib, Someone asked a long time ago about that and I finally found the answer. I totally agree that is not the force we should be considering when figuring tongue strength but someone asked. Now you have confirmed what an engineer confirmed. Tension is only in one plane but yield strength identifies and is appropriate for loads with multiple planes of movement. Good Job.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets