Feed back on my trailer design for my off road 5 x 10

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Feed back on my trailer design for my off road 5 x 10

Postby ekim952522000 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi Guys,

I am new here, here is the design I am planning to use for my off road tear drop.

Main tubes on the perimeter are 2x3, tongue is 3x3, and all others are 2x2. My plan is to frame the walls on top of this with 1x1 tubing.

I did the outside 2x3 and the inside 2x2 so that I could put 1" of insulation set down into the floor.

One thing I am unsure if how thick to make the tubing, can anyone give any advice on that?

Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 8.38.32 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-09-14 at 8.38.32 PM.png (26.32 KiB) Viewed 850 times

You can see more about my concept here in this thread, this is just specialty for discussion the trailer design.
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=61114
ekim952522000
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Feed back on my trailer design for my off road 5 x 10

Postby Dale M. » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:26 am

1/8 inch (.120) wall tubing would be fine...... About plan, 2x2 inch for all side rails and bracing will be fine, by using 2x3 you are gaining weight but not so much strength.... Also the number of cross maneuvers is excessive, again you will be gaining weight but not a lot of strength you can drop at least 2 maybe 3 cross members and still have the strength.... I would stay with the 3x3 for tongue ....

Using steel tube for framing is IMHO excessive, it makes more complicated to change the design on the fly and is more difficult to work with to get the lines you want,,,

I would look at this off road build and see what they did....

http://www.outbackteardrop.com/

Just remember these are my opinions and are not meant to discourage you in your build and what you want may vary a lot from others build styles... Also keep in mind, the heavier it is the harder its going to be to drag into areas you want to stay....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby kayakdlk » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:17 pm

To save weight I used 2"x2" x.0747 (14 gauge) Square tubing and 2 1/2" x 2 1/2" 3/16" tongue steel, and 1/8 and 3/16 flat stock for gussets. I used 1/8 angle iron for the rest of the cross members so I had some support under my floor which was sandwiched 1/8" plywood with foam core. The tongue and first two cross members are where all the strength and stress is. The rest is basically along for the ride. Once you mount your body on the frame it stiffens up.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:25 pm

I used 2x2 x 1/8 thk mains and rear xmbr, 2x2 x 3/16 tongue and front xmbr and two (2) L1-1/2 x 1/1-2 x 1/8 intermediate xmbr's. Most of the chassis strength comes from the side walls of the box, so don't over build the base.

2x3 for the tongue isn't bad, but you could probably step down to 1/8 wall. see my comments about the interrupted main rail in your Off Road thread.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ctstaas » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Hi Ekim, Here's my 2 cents worth, Why don't you like yourself? The jog in your frame complicates everything. Do you really need it for your design? If you really need the offset do it with wood and not your steel framing. So you' making a perimeter frame of tube steel bolted to plywood. How strong does that platform really need to be? What kinds and direction are the stresses going to be applied to the platform? My floor is 3/4" ply bolted to 1 1/2"x0.065 perimeter with a 3"x 3/16" tongue and axle tube. I went with 3" because that was the size of receiver available. No diagonals on the tongue. I have welded for 35+ years and choose to make my walls of 3/4" ply also. Go figure? Lots of advantages using wood for the walls. When I started I held my maximum dimension to be the roof so I didn't need to source special size panels or need to spend time splicing material. With 3/4" walls, the floor is 1 1/2" narrower then the roof. The frame is 1/8" thinner then the floor, and so on blah, blah,,,. Thinking things through first defeats speed but pays off later. You'll have no problem.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets