Amatuer welder help !

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Amatuer welder help !

Postby Kaz » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:23 pm

Going to need some help. So after putting the trailer frame away for the week I decided to bring it back in and flip it over to paint the bottom side. Well when I flipped it over I noticed something was askew. Wouldn't you know it after welding the tongue on I apparently had to much heat and the process caused the front frame member to bend at the welds. Is there way to correct this ? Don't want to go cutting and grinding the thing off if I don't have to but I figure now is the time to address the problem. Help an amateur welder please! :? I add a picture but I don't know how to resize the picture.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Re: Amatuer welder help !

Postby KCStudly » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:12 pm

If it is merely aesthetic, leave it be.
Last edited by KCStudly on Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:14 pm

KCStudly wrote:If it merely aesthetic, leave it be.

As usual, I agree with The Master of the PCE (see his build thread). Every trailer is going to have hiccups that remain hidden to all but the Jedi that created it. There's a name for these hidden emblems:

Maker's Mark: the personal mark of a goldsmith or silversmith, struck on the completed pieces.

But if it's a real problem, you can weld on the other side to suck it back inline. That's a somewhat normal solution to welding warp that needs addressed –plus once its de-warped– you can have a shot of Maker's Mark bourbon and say to hell with the hiccup. :wine:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:28 pm

I think a picture would help determine the seriousness of the defect.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:10 pm

In future, keep in mind that when welds cool they shrink in direction of where weld occurs, causing it to bend or warp.... To counter you need to do a equal amount on welding on opposite side that is why you do "some" weld, and move 180° opposite first weld and do second weld... One keeps alternating welds till project is complete, and hopefully it has not warped to much...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Kaz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:52 am

Thank you all for the advice. I feel better knowing others say leave it alone. I was going to stress it to straight and weld an angle stock on the back side. Not so sure about that now. Wouldn't be able to see it past the scotch anyway.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby ctstaas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:14 am

Hi Kaz, I have welded professionally for over 35 years (I should be better at this by now) and let me throw out some ideas. If the bend does not affect the straight towing, leave it. Tell people you planned it that way. If you need to fix it the two simplest ways? are heat and force. On tubing and pipe heat is almost always used. Use a rosebud torch to heat a round spot on the tube until it turns cherry red and remove the heat. Let it cool completely. Suctioning water through a venturi on an air line will chill metal fast when sprayed with. When the hot spot cools it will shrink. Knowing where and how much heat to apply is where the experience factor comes into play. The other method is force. I have had things blocked up in my driveway that I've had to drive my truck over in many directions to get straight or flat. This can be dangerous. Things go BOOM go fly. While you are being careful don't over straighten and make things worse.
The good thing is, when your done you'll feel like a hero and they can't take away your junior welders badge, now can they.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby Kaz » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Awesome I think I just got a junior welder merit badge! :thumbsup:
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets