2005 Little guy Rascal Axles & bearing kit?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

2005 Little guy Rascal Axles & bearing kit?

Postby yung7928 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:21 pm

Hello All, Does anyone know the part number? I just got this used trailer a month ago. They are all rusted. i like to replace them avoiding any future problems. Little guy trailer reply me they are Al-Ko axles. Can i replace with other manufacture part? Please helps? Thanks!

Ricky
yung7928
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 2005 Little guy Rascal Axles & bearing kit?

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:45 pm

There should be markings on the bearing inner and outer races that can be used to identify them; same for the seals. Any good automotive parts supplier, or bearing distributor should be able cross reference them for you. If not, degrease and take one in, and they should be able to measure it accurately to come up with the size you need.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:30 am

Sounds as if you're saying you want to replace the axle? Why? Is it not providing proper support or just because it's rusty? If you're just wanting to replace the bearings, above advice is correct. Bearing should have ID engraved or etched on them, if not just take a cleaned bearing into your local parts store & have it measured. If you change the bearings you should also change the races. I'd replace the seals in any event... I'd replace bearings with Timken or SKF. Both can be obtained from NAPA.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby yung7928 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:19 pm

YES, it is very very rusty. The whole axles, housing & drum too. I feel a little bit unsafe. Can i just clean it? What is the best methods? Sorry i am newbie. :(

Ricky
yung7928
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:54 pm

Cosmetic surface rust should not be an issue. When you say "drum" I assume that the unit has brakes (unless you mean the wheel, or hub). Assuming that the brakes are used regularly and the friction surface is not flaking with rust, these, too, are probably okay. A good clean up with a wire brush and rust inhibiting paint should sooth your eye.

If you have large areas with heavy flaking rust, or deep pits, any holes rusted thru, etc. then it is time to start swapping to new parts.

Post a few good pictures and we can help you better assess the situation.

Unless the thing was located near saltwater, or hauled on salted winter roads, I would not expect an axle that new to have any major problems, outside of the normal bearing service (or lack thereof). In fact, once upon a time I bought several surplus Dexter leaf spring axles that had been laying outside uncovered for years of New England winters; a few of them still are and there isn't enough rust on them to come anywhere near condemning them. When I used a pair of them on my tandem flat bed, all I did was hit the insides of the brake drums with a green abrasive pad, quickie wire wheel, slapped some POR15 on the outsides, and they where good to go. :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:28 pm

KC is correct, surface rust will not hamper the performance of your axle, a wire brush and some paint will do wonders.

You can order brand new "Idlers"----(that's the flange and hub that houses the bearings, slips over the spindle and your wheel bolts to)--- complete with races and bearings from sources like Northern Tool. You just need to put a pair of calipers to the spindle and order accordingly, check the spindle surfaces for nick's etc. I'd bet that you don't even need idlers though, just new bearings, race's and seals for piece of mind.

Just double check your wheel studs and chase or replace as needed...........Larry :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby yung7928 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:58 pm

Thanks all replies. I know nothing about trailer. I feel more comfort now. Hope I need to replace the bearing only. The rusty axle and hub make me so worry. I will post some pictures tomorrow. Thanks again.
yung7928
Teardrop Inspector

Postby yung7928 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:27 am

yung7928
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dale M. » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:30 am

Does not appear if anything serious is going on, appears to be surface rust and scale.... For wheels and hubs remove them, clean them and primer with good quality rust inhibitor paint...

For axle, there is two choices, remove it and put it across some supports and use cup wheel and angle grinder to clean up... Second choice is attempt to do it still attached the trailer.....NOT VERY GOOD IDEA- NOT RECOMMENDED...

Might consider removing axles and wheels and hubs, and take them to local "media blaster" (sand blaster) and let them do clean up, and all you need to do is the rust inhibitor painting ( or maybe power coat)... Do this once and do it right and you probably not have to worry about it again ...Ever....

Sure removing and replacing is a pain in the toush, but to be worry free its worth it... IT appears you have torsion axle and and only 4 bolts to drop it out and have work done or you do it up on saw horses when you can access everything easily and safely (all depends on your skills and abilities)...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby yung7928 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi Dale M. Thanks for your advice. I will take my trailer to local trailer shop this Friday. I think i should change the bearing first, if they don't provide sand blaster service. I may look for another options. No sure i can remove it buy myself. But if the trailer shop say the axles still okay, i may get some supporting tools and remove it by myself. And take it to local sand blaster shop to clean it. Hopefully i don't get hurt. :D

Ricky
yung7928
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:42 pm

If doing the disassembly yourself, once you remove the hubs and degrease the spindles I highly recommend that you reinstall the castle nuts just onto the ends of the threads (to protect the threads from getting whacked), wrap the spindle tightly in paper box stock (chip board) and tape; then carefully mask the area up past where the seal rides. If the blaster prefers to mask this area for himself, so be it, but if he doesn't bother it just might save your spindles from Primitive Pete (10 min video).
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby yung7928 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:28 am

Thanks A lot! I will try it by myself. :)

Ricky
yung7928
Teardrop Inspector

Postby yung7928 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi All, updated after repair from local Trailer Shop. He replaced the Hub and repainted the axles, even throw in the cap too.
It costs me $75 plus taxes. Please see the pic below & give me some input. Thanks! :D

gallery/image.php?album_id=3712&image_id=125543

gallery/image.php?album_id=3712&image_id=125542

Ricky
yung7928
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets