Tear drop from an old pop up trailer?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tear drop from an old pop up trailer?

Postby Hartse25 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:20 pm

I have started looking for a trailer for building my tear drop. The idea of putting together a bolt together myself concerns me a little, so I took to Craig's List to look for a used trailer that was already put together. I found a couple of people selling the trailer and bottom portion from an old pop up, or just the box portion. They have all been in about the 6x9 size range. Has anyone made a teardrop from an old pop up trailer before? Anything I should be on the look out for when I go to look at these trailers. I was so excited to start this project with my dad, a good father daughter bonding experience, but he wants no part in it, he doesn't think we can do it. So, I'm building it without him with the help of another woman I work with.

Erin
Hartse25
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Tear drop from an old pop up trailer?

Postby George Taylor » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:40 pm

he will most likely join in when you start having fun with it. I built our 4x10 from an old Apache pop up that I got from a friend. Just look at the frame and check to see that it is not bent.
George Taylor
Teardrop Master

Postby glenpinpat » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:53 pm

Our first build was from an old pop-up and one of my present builds is from a pop up. The first build I left the trailer as is and on the other build I have cut the frame and rewelded it to the desired length.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby pchast » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Erin,
Welcome! :D

You can do this. By yourself, if necessary, one step at a time.
Just ask your questions as you get to things and there are
many here that will try to help by answering what we can.
Spend some time looking at the build logs and you will get
all kinds of ideas.
:thinking:
The first thing to consider is your tow vehicle(tv) and how
much weight it can handle. Build your design from there.
There are several suggested design plans available, linked
by one of the header menu.
:)
If you let us know about where you are we can recommend a
gathering where you can see some in person Or perhaps one
of us is nearby...

Good luck with your project.
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:08 am

So, in the spirit of being helpful and trying not to be critical, I honestly feel you will be better off using one of the kit trailers. They come with instructions on how to put them together; there are plenty of well documented examples on the forum here of how people have put them together; the recommended modifications to improve them so they work better (usually without needing any welding) are also well documented and easy to duplicate; and there are several well documented build styles available to follow that suit these trailers, so you have plenty of variety to choose from without having to be good at designing from scratch.

On the other hand, a popup salvaged trailer will most likely require some modification and/or repairs, will not necessarily have standard (common) dimensions (they are usually wider with wheels under), will probably need to have the axle moved back (which will need cutting and welding), and will almost assuredly require a custom designed cabin to fit on top.

You definitely can build your own TD. It's just that if you have doubts about your ability to build a kit trailer, it is MHO that you should stick to a proven path and follow a standard 'recipe'. Shake those doubts off, but do your research. Download the assembly instructions and read through them.

Read through a bunch of build threads. Read the construction techniques threads. Read the stickies. Absorb all that you can before you start building so that you have a better understanding of what you are getting into, a better idea of how much it will cost, how long it will take, and what resources (work space and tools) it will take to meet your minimum expectations. The worst thing that you can do is jump in blindly, get discouraged and waste time and money heading in the wrong direction.

We would much rather help you along the path to success! :thumbsup: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby angib » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:55 am

Yes, the problem I see with pop-up frames is if you want to narrow them to the normal width of a teardrop, you have to virtually rebuild them from scratch.

Here is an example, where the main strength running from front to back is right on the outside edges, so if those rails are cut off to narrow the trailer, there is nothing left connecting the front and the back. We call this A Bad Idea.

popup.jpg
popup.jpg (95.09 KiB) Viewed 925 times
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby George Taylor » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:52 pm

I see what some of you are saying about the mods to the frame. I guess I lucked out. The Apache had 2 main runners going front to back. The axel is a bolt on, so moving it is a snap. To narrow the trailer all I had to do was take off the bars that were bolted on to make the trailer 6' wide.
George Taylor
Teardrop Master

Postby glenpinpat » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:03 pm

I have had good luck with pop up frames. A quick inspection will let you know if the frame is good for your needs. Where I live a kit would cost at least 500.00 but a used pop up about 200.00. I have also been able to salvage propane lines, electrical hookups, converters and heavy duty sliders that if I had to buy separately would have cost several hundred bucks. I have had to modify the trailers to my needs(weld a few supports where I wanted them) but I have seen most kits be modified and the axles moved as well. The teardrop in my avatar was built on a pop up frame and the only modification was to weld 2" on the back to make it 8ft. It is however a six wide. However I do agree with the others, do your research and go with what you think is best.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:21 am

I have a camping buddy who has one on a pop up frame and they built the bed across the back just over a shallow storage locker. By day its a couch and at night it lets down to a queen sized bed. Houses mom dad and 2 twin boys very comfortably.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:45 am

Just to clarify, I think a PU trailer is a great way to go for an experienced fabricator or someone who is handy with rip out and construction. There are good deals to be had and good parts to be salvaged. My point was that for an unsure novice, following a proven "recipe" using standard "known" parts and design would most likely be a better choice.

It would be unfair to the OP to assume that she has the background and wherewithal to attempt a scratch build that requires many design decisions.

Hartse25 wrote:The idea of putting together a bolt together myself concerns me a little...
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby H.A. » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:12 am

Last edited by H.A. on Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby glenpinpat » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:05 pm

KCStudly wrote:Just to clarify, I think a PU trailer is a great way to go for an experienced fabricator or someone who is handy with rip out and construction. There are good deals to be had and good parts to be salvaged. My point was that for an unsure novice, following a proven "recipe" using standard "known" parts and design would most likely be a better choice.

It would be unfair to the OP to assume that she has the background and wherewithal to attempt a scratch build that requires many design decisions.

Hartse25 wrote:The idea of putting together a bolt together myself concerns me a little...

I agree, you are right for an unsure novice following a proven technique that is much better documented than salvaging a pop-up is the better way to go.
glenpinpat
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:06 pm

KCStudly wrote:Just to clarify, I think a PU trailer is a great way to go for an experienced fabricator or someone who is handy with rip out and construction. There are good deals to be had and good parts to be salvaged. My point was that for an unsure novice, following a proven "recipe" using standard "known" parts and design would most likely be a better choice.

CAN I PLEASE DISAGREE !

I have always let the frame dictate the style of my build and have never cut or altered a frame with the exception of Chubby my first build. The frame I purchased for $75.00 was mangled and HAD to be refabricated.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:03 pm

Absolutely, Bob, you may disagree. We're gentlemen here. For your needs and your capability, you would have no problem whatsoever coming up with a suitable design to fit any given trailer. No one can argue with the voice of experience. :thumbsup: Modifying tongues, patching up bent frames, replacing old tires and bearings, have at it. Don't forget to haul all that left over debris from the demo off to the dump; papa ain't gonna want that laying around the yard.

But... (big but) we need to help this young lady out, and telling her that a PU trailer is as easy as pie, when she has indicated very limited technical confidence (suggesting limited technical back ground), well, I feel that might be a disservice, and maybe even bad advice. Yes, for a trades person or handy DIY'er, sure, a PU is a great option, if you know what you are looking at.

But I honestly feel that a complete novice would have a much easier time learning to assemble a HF kit, repack the bearings, and build a Weekender or cub, than having to wreck and rehab an old PU, then design a cabin from scratch to fit it. Just my honest $.02

Hartse25 Total Posts: 8
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:39 pm

I think it's about 50/50. I get where KC is coming from with the kit. Go with the known.Although I got my PU for a Benjamin. And yes, I can fabricate... And weld and whatever else. But... I learned those things from doing it. I say jump in with both feet. Do the research. Study the plans. Read the build journals. Sketch. Draw. Dream. Build a model! And Network. Can't weld? I bet you know someone who knows someone. That's how I learned. I don't know... I'm not one to give advice. I just know that I learned by doing... challenges arose and I figured it out. Lots of times I relied on others and their experience, but I studied and I learned. Maybe that's what I enjoy most about this journey... finding things that are beyond my skill set, then using my resources to learn and grow until I develop new skill sets. And this forum is a great place to learn, develop and grow. I'm a firm believer that you can do anything you set your mind to.Take what works for you and leave the rest behind... simple as that.
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets