Red trailer frame hinge question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Red trailer frame hinge question

Postby Dobrodoc » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:14 pm

I am starting my first tear on a RedTrailer brand 4x8 trailer frame. I live near the company and I liked their grease fitting on the hub so I went with them. My problem is it is a folding farm and there is a hinge like attachment that connects the two sides of the frame and forms the hinge for when you want to fold it. I am concerned that this hinge is going to get in the way when I put on the side walls and may be unsightly as well because it sticks up above the frame. My question is what to do with it. I'm afraid if I don't use this hinge piece then the frame won't be stable however once the plywood floor box is on the framw is in it likely I won't need this little hinge assembly. If anybody has any thoughts please share thank you. :thinking:

Also if anybody has any good ideas on how to square the frame before I make all the bolts exceedingly tight I would appreciate that . thank you very much
Dobrodoc
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Red trailer frame hinge question

Postby Dobrodoc » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:21 pm

I removed the hinge and cut it so it could form a rectangle to join the front and rear of the trailer. So it doesn't get in the way anymore. The trailer won't fold up on me anytime soon. I also used several bolts to affix so it can't " hinge up."
Dobrodoc
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Red trailer frame hinge question

Postby ctstaas » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi Dobrodoc, Squaring is easy. measure diagonally in opposite directions. This measurement should be equal. A difference of 1/16" means it is out of square 1/32". Close enough. Sneak up on tightening the bolts gradually and evenly while continuously checking the cross square measure. Take your time and you might have to do it more than once to get right.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets