Which direction parking jack.

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Which direction parking jack.

Postby Breytie » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:14 am

Doing the rough layout of the chassis, a few things are threatening to cause analyses paralysis.
Firstly - the positioning of parking jacks.
What is better, pointing in from the sides, at an angle from the corner or forward from the back?
Moving the last interior cross member back a bit should form the 3rd mounting point for the jacks. For the side facing version, 2 longerons of 2x2 tubing should do the trick.
And then, what is the best spot to attach the A-frame to the chassis? Ending on a cross member, before or beyond it?
I need to get it all ready for welding by Wednesday to make my new timetable for first camp in December.
Experience is learning from your own mistakes
Here I make mine in public: My build
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Re: Which direction parking jack.

Postby Dale M. » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:00 am

My preferred placement for jacks is at a 45 degree angle to frame members (at corner), this braces rear of frame/trailer is both directions....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby angib » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:06 am

Breytie wrote:And then, what is the best spot to attach the A-frame to the chassis? Ending on a cross member, before or beyond it?

There is no structural reason to end the A-frame at a cross-member, though some people do seem to think it looks 'right'.

The biggest overlap of the A-frame and main frame reduces the load on the A-frame welds (though it also shortens the exposed A-frame a bit).

I think it is best to put the end of the A-frame away from a cross-member since that means there is better access to make the weld properly.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:19 pm

I concur with both replies. +1 +1. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Breytie » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks people - that one is now SORTED! :applause:

Jack at an angle like the one on the left in the pic.
A-Frame as long as possible, cross under first cross member to terminate on the side rail. Longitudinal welds only at front frame member and first cross member, full welds the end on the side rail.

(edited to apply corrections)
Last edited by Breytie on Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Postby angib » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:21 am

Breytie wrote:A-Frame as long as possible, cross over first cross member to terminate on the side rail. 4 full welds at each crossing point.

Yeah, lots of people thinks lots of weld is good, but it isn't - just enough weld is the best amount, not too much, as all that does is induce stresses that can cause cracking in time.

Where the A-frame crosses the front cross-member, the Australians (who have lots of washboard dirt roads that are about as bad as roads can get for trailers) say that the joint should not be welded at all and just left in metal-to-metal contact. I think a more realistic plan is to make only the longitudinal welds along the A-frame and not the transverse ones across the A-frame tubes. Those transverse ones are just crack generators after a few years.

I found an old illustration of this, looking up at the blue main frame and red A-frame (so the coupler is off to the right). The green welds are the ones that do the good.

angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:27 am

Actually, you only want to weld along the long axis of the tongue where it crosses the front xmbr (unlike me :roll: ). Flexing between the relatively flexible tongue and the relatively rigid main frame can create cracking issues with welds running across wise. Better to leave the front and rear of the front xmbr unwelded; just weld along the sides of the tongue members where they cross the front xmbr.

I see Angib beat me to it.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Breytie » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Making only longitudinal welds makes sense! Weld can (do?) cause a lot of stress in the steel and providing a full "tear along this line" may not be the best idea. The changes were applied to the solution. I will talk to the welder to keep that in mind.

Thanks again
Breytie
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets