Northern Tool Trailer Plans

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Northern Tool Trailer Plans

Postby Diemjoe » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:20 am

Hi,
These plans seem to come highly rated based on some internet reviews I have seen. If you have used them, can you tell me how easily modified they can be. I am looking at a 5'2"x10 trailer. With walls up, the resulting cabin width should fit a queen sized bed. The other mod I would like to make is to extend the tongue back to connect at 2 cross beams instead of just the front one. DO the plans use tube /and or angle steel?

Thanks
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Re: Northern Tool Trailer Plans

Postby tony.latham » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:56 pm

Just a thought about a 5'2" wide trailer. My 5' wide trailer has 1.5" sandwiched walls (57" interior) and a queen sized hybrid-foam mattress fits in it just fine. My roof is constructed using sheets of 5'x5' baltic birch and '5 wide aluminum. 5'2" would be a material problem for me. There's ways of doing it of course, so don't duck! Just something to consider. (Perhaps you already have)

I have not seen Northern's plans. But here's a PDF on how to build a teardrop chassis: http://www.teardroptrailers.us/tbuild.pdf (I fall in the torsion axle camp BTW).

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:32 pm

What Tony said ^.

I am currently building 64 inches wide to fit a queen with 1-1/2 inch foam walls and 5mm inner skins and if I had it to do over I would cut a foam mattress down to fit, and make the widest part (usually the roof skin) at 60 inches, or even 1/4 to 3/8 inch under to allow for trimming flush... the ply never seems to wrap over the profile exactly.

It has been said may times, you can't fall out of bed in a TD because of the walls, so you can use more of the mattress than in a regular bed, er go you will not miss an inch or two off of a queen size if that is what you are used to.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:48 pm

You might find this thread about changing to a torsion axle on a N.T. trailer helpful.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=58078

It resolves a number of issues that many others have experienced with store bought utility trailers.
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Diemjoe » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Thanks, I forgot to check the "get notified button" so am just seeing these good responses. One of the considerations for the standard width trailer is the bedding. I was told about these bed linens by the local Lil Guy dealer. http://www.rvsuperbag.com/. Was thinking keeping standard bed measurements would keep things simple. But re-enginineering would and steel for a couple of inches of cloth seems pretty stupid now.

Check out the link though. Seems like an easy bedding idea.

Don
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets