Trailer Frame Material Question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trailer Frame Material Question

Postby Diemjoe » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:42 pm

I am looking to build a 5x10 TD with a cub profile. I am working to determine the design of the trailer frame to support it. The frame design of the cub calls for 2x2 angle for the outside frame. I would like to use a torsion axle. I was wondering if anyone knew if mounting a torsion axle to angle steel poses any particular challenges compared to mounting to C or tube. Angle position will be flat up and flat to the wheel.

I live in the Northwest where the campgrounds I will be visiting are at the end of generally well maintained National Forest road (Except for some washboarding and potholes on the packed dirt sections). No real off roading. Freeway speeds of 60 to 65 mph will be typical.

Thanks
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Re: Trailer Frame Material Question

Postby Redneck Teepee » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:08 pm

It's certainly doable with the right design and reinforcement's in the proper places. There are a lot of angle iron constructed trailers that have been running up and down the hiway's for years with no problems.

2 X 2 sq. tube is a much better application for ease of construction, meaning less notching etc, for the cross members. Also your angle would have to be good and heavy to properly support the axle placement. Yes angles, channels and flats are relatively cheap compared to structural shapes, but you are getting more bang for your buck also. An example would be the basic box from 2 X 2 X .125 wall sq. tube and the tongue material from 2 X 2 X.250 wall sq. tube. When properly constructed the tube steel would survive most anything you wanted to punish it with.

A lot of teardrops were and still are built on very minimal frames and are still being used today, most of those were originally (I'm assuming) engineered for or by the manufacturer.

So to answer your question....Yes..with the proper construction it is possible. :D
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby Diemjoe » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:35 pm

Thanks for confirming what I think I will using. Tube for the external frames and Tongue.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby ctstaas » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:15 pm

Hey Friend, Angel iron would be just fine but I like square tubing for the tongue and axle parts. Axle, tongue strong like bull and easy to fabricate. Not much advantage to using angle over tubing for the rest of the frame. Home made will be better then HF any day and if you botch a weld you can always grind it out and do it over. I've never had to but I have heard of it- Right?! The price is comparable and you've created something to be proud of.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets