Difference between the two tpyes of 4 x 8 HF trailers

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Difference between the two tpyes of 4 x 8 HF trailers

Postby The Ruckus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:09 am

HF shows 2 types of 4'x8' trailers (one folding) for sale.

One of the comments on their site said the customer ordered the heavy duty 1720 (non folding) What he got was the 1190 (folding) without the hinges. Just basically bolt the 2 cross braces together to make a ridged frame.

Is there any structural difference between the two? Is the suspension heavier, wheels bigger, frame thicker/stronger or is the customer telling the truth?
Steve "The Ruckus" Whelan
The Ruckus
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Difference between the two tpyes of 4 x 8 HF trailers

Postby backstrap bandit » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:08 am

Good question I could save some cash and weld it together already have mig welder
backstrap bandit
Teardrop Master

Postby KennethW » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:19 am

The super duty 1720# has inside frame stake pockets
(outside 48" Inside the stakes is less then 48") (bolt on pockets on the folding so a that the inside is 48"on the folding)
The super duty 1720# has bigger 5 bolt tires 5.3x12 (4.8x 12 4 bolt on the folding)
The super duty 1720# has 2" ball (1 7/8 on the folding)
The super duty 1720# has a round pipe axle (U shape on the folding)
The round axle makes it easy to mount the axle above the spring to made the tear lower.(mount modification required for axle clearance)
That is what I see as differences.
25% off coupon ends today (sunday) and the trailers on sale too.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby The Ruckus » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Thanks Kenneth. In your opinion, is the extra cost worth it for my first build? I'm think Army style (green) with 5 gallon gas cans on each side..
What's the "Axle Mount Modification" you mention?

FYI, check the stock at your local HF. All my local stoes are out, although 2 of the managers said they would honor the coupon when they arrive next week..
Steve "The Ruckus" Whelan
The Ruckus
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:46 pm

I only use 2" ball's on all my trailer and the round axle made it worth it for me.
The modification it cutting a groove in the bottom of the mount bracket to provide room for the axle to move up.
One should also slip a piece of plastic pipe( I used a piece of pex) over the back spring bolt to keep it from clucking when ever you hit a bump. The cluck is very annoying :frightened:
If you are going for a light weight tear drop you might consider removing the center leaf on the springs to soften the ride.
These mod's are for on road use as it will made the axle bottom out if off road. :shock:
I build fairly light so a also ended up lowering the air pressure in the tire to 30# to keep the center of the tires from wearing out (wet tire on dry road test for contact area)
Just little thing I learned.
disclaimer:I made no endorsement of these mod's it is just the mod's I did and like.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby WizardOfOdds » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:01 pm

Things at HF change a lot, so be aware: what you get may not be what you expect based on what someone else got! (edit Dec 17 - Sorry, what I said about my springs was not correct.)

HF recently had 2 FOLDING 4x8 trailers, one with 8 inch wheels and the other with 12, but now I see only one model listed. They used to have a 5x8 version very much like the ‘super duty 1720#' with a tail gate and sides, but that is gone too.

I now see that there are two different stock numbers for their “1720 Lb Super Duty" trailer, 94564 and 69897. The ads appear identical, but is there any difference?? They have different manuals and it is not clear what the differences are, but one difference is the recent #69897 says you can not exceed 45 mph. :cry:

I purchased two of the the “super duty” 4x8 trailers, one in 2006 had a stock number of 6464 and the one I bought this past summer was the 94564. The first was made in Taiwan but the second was made in China. Based on the ads and specs I was expecting the same trailer, but my experience with the second trailer differed like night from day compared with the first purchase. You can read some of the story in
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61451
but in brief: I had almost no problems with the first and would give a strong recommendation :thumbsup: based on my experience with it. I spent a month trying to figure out the problems I encountered with the second one and still do not have an operational trailer. I purchased the second trailer on 28 July 2014 and as of today (15 Dec) I am still waiting for replacement of defective parts. :thumbdown:
WizardOfOdds: Chalet shaped rag roof clam shell TIER drop for 4 cylinder tow
Tip Top Tier Drop thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56232
Unusual Designs thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64495
Tale of 2 Trailers thread http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=61451
WizardOfOdds
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets