drawbar length and approximate axle place

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

drawbar length and approximate axle place

Postby felixx » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:08 am

Hi there
Just looking at APPROXIMATE details for my 8x4
If you have an 8' trailer
1) How long is your draw bar (approx)
2) Approx how far from the stern is your axle?

I know things like differing weight distribution etc affect these numbers hence approximate data is good
felixx
Donating Member

Re: drawbar length and approximate axle place

Postby dales133 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:36 am

I made mine 1.6m but I wanted it easy to reverse at the expense of it being a little long and my frame is 2.7
Last edited by dales133 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dales133 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:38 am

And someone more knowledgeable can give you the axle formula, I used it but I don't have it on hand
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:47 am

There is a accurate balance program compiled by Andrew that takes into consideration what is placed where. I am not that organized I toss and go.
I have built 5 tiny trailers and have used a very simple percentage that work for me. Measure the body only

You said 8'

96 X 40% = approx 38 "

96 x 60% = approx 58"

so place the axle with 60% of the body forward and 40% to the rear of the centerline of the axle.

I have drifted to a 35 / 65 split and the towing improves but the tongue weight get heavier so it is a trade off.

As to the tongue length I am only spit balling here but I am going to guess the HF trailers have about a 4' tongue I have added 18" to mine and it became a nice calm , easy to back up trailer. It was kind of squirmy and hard to back prior to the added length.

To those that may know is there a correlation between the distance from axle to body front and the body front to the coupler ball center? It seems to me if the later is equal to or greater than the axle center line to the body front distance, towing is much improved. Am I imagining this?
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby 48Rob » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:24 am

Bob,

The longer you make the tongue, the further the axle is "pushed back" creating more stability.

So, no, you are not dreaming!

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Redneck Teepee » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:26 am

bobhenry wrote:There is a accurate balance program compiled by Andrew that takes into consideration what is placed where. I am not that organized I toss and go.
I have built 5 tiny trailers and have used a very simple percentage that work for me. Measure the body only

You said 8'

96 X 40% = approx 38 "

96 x 60% = approx 58"

so place the axle with 60% of the body forward and 40% to the rear of the centerline of the axle.

I have drifted to a 35 / 65 split and the towing improves but the tongue weight get heavier so it is a trade off.

As to the tongue length I am only spit balling here but I am going to guess the HF trailers have about a 4' tongue I have added 18" to mine and it became a nice calm , easy to back up trailer. It was kind of squirmy and hard to back prior to the added length.

To those that may know is there a correlation between the distance from axle to body front and the body front to the coupler ball center? It seems to me if the later is equal to or greater than the axle center line to the body front distance, towing is much improved. Am I imagining this?

Bob is correct, this formula works for 99% of the trailers built and will work just fine. :thumbsup:
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby felixx » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:34 pm

Thanks Bob!(and friends)
I really appreciate it!
I cannot wait to get this underway. I think I will get a piece of MDF today to make a template for my sides.

It is all rather exciting
felixx
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets