Stabilizer jack location?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Stabilizer jack location?

Postby Diemjoe » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:14 am

I have seen trailer frames with stabilizers attached on diagonal steel in frame corners. The pictures that came with my jacks show them along the left and right frame pieces. Not sure I am going to describe this clearly but I have noticed that the flat plate is just a little wider than the upright so that when it is in travel position, it would rub against anything that its at the same level as the attach point. If it is attached along the outside frame pieces, it would rub the paint allowing rust to set in. Does anyone have any thought on what should be considered when choosing an attach point?

Thanks
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Re: Stabilizer jack location?

Postby dales133 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:21 am

I've been shopping for them today and most I found were supposed to be installed on an angle so as to eliminate side to side wobble.
Probably not so much an issue on a teardrop .
What style were you looking at? I'm going to use what they refer to here as drop down type
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:27 am

I think the largest reason for the diagonal flat stock being added is to reinforce the corner and allow the end and side member to share the load rather than placing all of it on the corner weld. The diagonal also serves to keep the frame square but then again so does the floor so it's not a big deal.

As to vibration rubbing, place butyl weatherproofing tape as a pad on the member. You better have it where you want it , cause when it goes down it is where it is.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Diemjoe » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:44 am

I bought

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/At ... 82298.html

I am probably just going to rely on the flip down wheel jack for stabilization at the front.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby dales133 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:59 am

This is more like kind I'm looking at. http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/prod ... ts_id=6678
There are a couple of brands cheaper than these in fact I saw one you can get 2 for the price of one of these alkos but these are the best by far over here
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby bobhenry » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:39 am

Diemjoe wrote:I bought

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Jack/At ... 82298.html

I am probably just going to rely on the flip down wheel jack for stabilization at the front.

I learned a little trick by placing the jack wheel in one of those nice anti scoot dog bowls the jack wheel can not wander on you.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Redneck Teepee » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:33 pm

I use the same type, I just raise the front slightly higher than optimum for the present situation then crank the tongue down to slightly load them. My axle is far enough back that I do not need them in the rear, so I have them on the front only.
I took a 10 ga plate and drilled them for the jack mounting holes and couple of 2" axle U-bolts since my frame rails are 2". They work very well and take the wiggle out. :thumbsup:

I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction, the world will have a generation of idiot's.
Redneck Teepee
Silver Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:27 pm

I put stabilizer jacks on two teardrop builds and never used them because of how difficult they are to jack up.
Sometimes you need to lay on the ground (wet?) to lower them.
I just level the front to back with the tongue wheel and use a scissor jack on the low wheel to level side to side.
I carry a few 2"x6"x10" wood blocks for shims on low ground.
Block the wheels and everything is solid.
The scissor jack will also come in handy in the event of a flat tire.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Diemjoe » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:03 pm

Funny. I was just working in welding the darned things on. Thinking that they were going to be a pain in the A$$ to use. I just got them welded on when I checked the forum. Oh well. Lets hope for dry campground.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby ratrod71 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:47 pm

I welded steel plates into the rear corners. And I drilled three sets of holes to give me options on which angle I wanted to mount them in case there was any clearance problems. Bryan
Attachments
frame g.jpg
frame g.jpg (55.73 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
frame k.jpg
frame k.jpg (46.16 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
frame j.jpg
frame j.jpg (44.83 KiB) Viewed 2843 times
Alaskan Benroy build journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61738
ratrod71
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets