Rear side marker light placement help..

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Rear side marker light placement help..

Postby javajaws » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:28 pm

I need a little help on where to place my rear side marker lights. Specifically, what's legally allowed or preferred.

As you can see in the attached image my desired placement is on an angled piece of metal that is about 22 degrees from parallel to the frame and body of the trailer itself. This is mainly to keep it protected from being hit. Is it OK to place side marker lights here not parallel to the frame/body?

Another option is a little forward of where I have them shown on the parallel piece that will eventually support the fender. But then this might run into the problem of not being far enough to the rear?

Id rather avoid placing them on the body (partly to match the forward marker lights that I already have recesses for in the frame).

If needed I could build a metal box for them to make them parallel to the frame and still place them on the angled piece of metal.

Thoughts?

P.S. - I promise a build thread soon... :)

javajaws
Teardrop Builder

Re: Rear side marker light placement help..

Postby kayakdlk » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:48 pm

When I built my trailer I found several web sites that listed federal rules and some said you should see the side markers in a 45 degree arc face on. I use some small round led lights that stick out part way and have small flanges sticking out that help the visibility at angles. All of my light were on the frame before I built the body. I fussed over the federal rules as my trailer is over 80" wide. I also added extra reflectors up top just in case. I originally didn't want fender marker lights (I wanted the flat fenders to use as a table when camping) but as I measured and checked each requirement I finally decided to add them just before my inspection since getting an appointment to get the trailer inspected was such a hassle I didn't want to fail and have to go back.

With that said, in Colorado when I got my home built trailer inspected all they wanted to see was if the tail and brake lights came on. No one made any measurements or really even looked at the side marker lights. I do not even think they cared or looked for the over 80" lights. They did not measure the trailer width. Afterwords it seemed like a lots of worrying and effort that didn't really matter.

I am happy with what I did as it makes it almost impossible to not see me from the rear and sides.

I think you should be fine with what you have planned. If you are using LED lights I would just use a little 9V battery hook up a sample and look at it from the side and see what it looks like.

Happy Building
Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:24 am

I think Dan is on the money. I know these are federal rules, which should mean uniformity across the states, but I don't think that's the way it is when the rubber meets the road. When I titled my trailer, the inspector said that it was "up to law enforcement" to figure out if the lights were legal.

You're not going to get a ticket for putting that light there (some may argue that I'm wrong). What you need to figure out, is what the inspector (if any) is going to be looking at in your state when it comes to titling/registering.

Of course the intent of those marker lights is so vehicles can see the side of your trailer at night.

My 25ยข

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:56 am

As previous poster said the location isn't as important as being seen. Recessing the lights can greatly affect that. You're probably better off flush mounting the lights. There are types of clearance lights where the metal mounting flange wraps around the top and bottom that provides protection to the lens and lamp from rubbing.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Dale M. » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:19 am

Here is NHTSA document on trailer lighting....

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/standar ... rpstr.html

Quite frankly if you follow this you should be good in any state.... BUT I don't think its a absolute that you follow it exactly.... I have never had local or state police stop me and check lighting specification on any of my trailers.... It's sort of like horseshoes and hand grenades, close is good enough...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby javajaws » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:13 am

aggie79 wrote:As previous poster said the location isn't as important as being seen. Recessing the lights can greatly affect that. You're probably better off flush mounting the lights. There are types of clearance lights where the metal mounting flange wraps around the top and bottom that provides protection to the lens and lamp from rubbing.

These wouldn't be recessed but rather inset slightly into the frame (still stick out 3/4" or so). These are Optronics Al91 series lights with the flush rubber grommet mounts. Once you cut that hole in the frame though you can't really undo it! I understand what you are saying but I didn't see any Optronics mounts for these like you are describing.

Oh...and Gig'Em!
javajaws
Teardrop Builder

Postby javajaws » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:39 am

Actually, it looks like in Texas if your trailer is less than 80" you don't have to have ANY side marker lights.

https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/Forms/CVE-38.pdf

My width from outside of wheel to outside of wheel is...79". It took a lot of planning to make that happen to avoid other light issues but didn't realize it would help here as well. Regardless, I'll still have the 2 amber and 2 red on the sides but at least I don't have to worry about them complaining about the placement.

Many thanks guys. I promise pictures soon (at least of the frame) - look for a thread on the builds forum.
javajaws
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Don't be so sure. My UT is slightly under 80 inches and when I went for a VIN inspection the guy measured and rounded up; wrote down 80 inches. Had to add the three light center marker.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets